Play Book Tag discussion

An American Marriage
This topic is about An American Marriage
Archive: Other Books > An American Marriage/Jones - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Well, this book had a few flaws that glared out of me, but I was happy to overlook them because I really enjoyed Jones' writing. She knows how to keep her reader engaged while also expressing emotion beautifully.

The story is of a young marriage that is tested when the husband, Roy, is arrested on rape charges of which he is innocent, and ultimately sent to prison.

There were two major flaws in my mind. (view spoiler). But these are failures of plotting that unfortunately, if you pick up on the first one, leads you to feel a whole lot less sympathy for Celeste's situation. Or at least that was the impact it had on me.

Honestly, neither character was entirely sympathetic or likeable, but I don't need my characters to necessarily be those things. I have known people who have had volatile relationships, and I think Jones does a good job of showing the passion that can underlie relationships like these. She also was very good at creating suspense in a story that isn't inherently suspenseful, and she kept me turning the pages. Her use of the language elevated this book above a mere soap opera, and I appreciated that aspect of her writing.

All in all, I just felt very engaged in the story, and that counts for a lot.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments I've read two other works by Jones and really enjoy her writing. Definitely a talent worth following.

message 3: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This seems pretty interesting. Do you think it would be a good bookclub book? I have to pick for our next meeting.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8854 comments Again I’m pushing for everyone as a book clup pick - the Three Daughters of Eve.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I think so, JoLene! It is leading the voting for my book club at the moment as well.

message 6: by Susie (last edited Mar 18, 2018 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susie | 4488 comments Despite not really enjoying the book I do think it would lead to some great discussions.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I read your spoiler (finally on an actual computer) and I saw that differently. I am responding to you in a private message because my response is long!

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments JoLene wrote: "This seems pretty interesting. Do you think it would be a good bookclub book? I have to pick for our next meeting."

Yes, I do think there's plenty to discuss in this book - - from both a social justice standpoint and a character motivation standpoint.