Christian Readers discussion

Promote Your Book > BOOK REVIEW EXCHANGE

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany Kaye (new)

Tiffany Kaye Chartier | 5 comments I am looking for people who are interested in doing a book review exchange (preferably positive). My book is free, and I will do a review on your free book. Just let me know! Thanks!
https://www.inkitt.com/stories/romanc...

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 120 comments Tiffany, I think you will find that this is against both Goodreads' and Amazon's principles and they do not take kindly to it.

message 3: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I though everyone did this. That would be a bit heavy of a rule.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Kopp | 9 comments I have been a "book reviewer" for various companies and the rules around this are pretty simple. (1) You can't ask someone to give a positive review, it has to be an honest review. (2) You can't exchange money for a review, but I think an exchange of reviews would be OK. (3) If you do receive a book for free to review then you're supposed to write a disclaimer at the end of your review stating that you did.

message 5: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle To be honest: everyone prefers a positive review.

Those rules are fair.

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Apr 01, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Rod wrote: "I though everyone did this. That would be a bit heavy of a rule."

Nope. Exchanging reviews is a violation of both GR and Amazon TOS. As well as FTC regulations. It's not "heavy", it's a protection of consumer rights, and of the integrity of consumer reviews - which is honest, unbiased, consumer opinion about a product.

Authors trading "reviews" of each other's books clearly have a bias and incentive to post a positive review regardless of their honest opinion.

Review trades are NOT ok. And both Amazon and GoodReads will delete such reviews.

Authors can offer a reader a free copy of their book and request (not require) a review. They cannot trade reviews with other authors. They can not offer any other incentive or reward for a review, or anything else in exchange for a review.

They cannot, in any way, attempt to influence that review, it's content, or the rating.

Anyone who receives a free book from the author or publisher must disclose that fact in their review.

Anyone who has any personal or professional relationship with an author cannot post a review on Amazon. They can post a review on GR, but will disclose that relationship in their review if they are ethical and honest.

Authors involved in review trading automatically get put on my Do Not Read list. And I'm not alone. Additionally that sort of thing is fairly easy for consumers to spot.

message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Interesting. Thanks Alexandra.

I poorly assumed that exchanging reviews did NOT guarantee a necessarily positive one. But this issue can creep up with anyone knowing an author personally.

I appreciate when people state this in their reviews.

message 8: by Alexandra (last edited Apr 03, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Rod wrote: "Interesting. Thanks Alexandra."

Sure.

"I poorly assumed that exchanging reviews did NOT guarantee a necessarily positive one. But this issue can creep up with anyone knowing an author personally. "

It would anyway.

Consider this:

Author A and Author B don't know each other, but they connect on GR somewhere and agree to read and review each others books.

Firstly, as fellow authors they are already biased to want to "help out" their fellow author. It's natural. What if the book written by Author A is amateurish, poorly edited, boring, crap? Is Author B really going to want to say that?

Maybe Author B is really honest and decides they're just going to not post a review at all. Ok, that probably happens sometimes.

Let's say Author B is really honest, and does post a review. They word it nicely, but basically say it's in bad need of professional editing, and definitely not ready for sale in it's present form. Or similar.

What do you think Author A is going to do now? Very likely they're gonna be mad, or really hurt. They didn't get that "helpful" review they were wanting. They didn't get a fair trade. And now they post a scathing review of Author B's book, in retaliation. Maybe it's actually deserved, maybe not.

And now you maybe can see how authors swapping reviews for each other are incentivized by the very transaction to post a positive review, regardless of their honest opinion.

Author A posts a positive review of Author B's book because Author A wants a positive review of his/her own book and doesn't want to tick Author B off.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most authors who do this fail to disclose the fact that they received a free book from the author, as they are required to do, much less admit that they reviewed the book as an arranged swap. Which readers of the review have a right to know.

message 9: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Makes sense.

Although there are so many brutally nasty reviews... I didn't think this was a danger. But sure.

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Rod wrote: "Makes sense.

Although there are so many brutally nasty reviews... I didn't think this was a danger. But sure."

:D