Play Book Tag discussion

The Merchant's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #4)
This topic is about The Merchant's Tale
Archive: Other Books > The Merchant's Tale by Ann Swinfen - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Mar 13, 2018 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 4965 comments It's the Feast of St. Frideswide and a great fair is to be held in Oxford. Nicholas's sister and her friends decide to set up a booth to sell cheeses and preserves to make a little money. There's trouble with the local priory and its unscrupulous Prior de Hungerford, who seems to be selling items belonging to the priory to line his own pocket, which comes to Nicholas's attention when a merchant asks him to appraise books offered to him for sale. In the hustle and bustle of the fair, Nicholas becomes involved in more intrigue when he encounters Alice Walsea, the King's intelligencer we met in book 3, who is investigating rumors of a mercenary assassin in the area.

This story was much better written than book 3, and ends quite satisfactorily too. The romance between Nicholas and Emma is proceeding nicely, if slowly, and the minor characters are also developing further. I am looking forward to book 5, and hope that it will be a step forward instead of back for the series.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments I'm glad you are enjoying the series enough to keep going. I've only listened to the first one. I'll have to get back to it. And maybe I'll stop reading your reviews until I catch up to you.