Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Fluctuating February 1/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments This was a month where books that I expected to be great weren't and books for which I had low expectations turned out to be better than expected.

1)An American Family: A Memoir of Hope and Sacrifice by Khizr Khan (memoir) 272 pages. Source: Library Started: 1/31 Finished: 2/3

Why Read: I thought I knew who Khizr Khan is, but it turned out that I knew nothing about him.

Comments: This man is a legal consultant who fell in love with the American constitution in law school in Pakistan. How many people can say that they fell in love with the U.S. constitution? Khizr Khan is amazing. Rating A.

2)And The Wolf Shall Dwell by Joni Dee (spy thriller) Source: Author Started: 2/3
Finished: 2/4

Why Read: The MC is an Israeli living in London who is a retired agent. The author is an Israeli/Canadian living in London who is ex-military. So I thought he knew what he was writing about.

Comments: Strange elements that don't reflect our contemporary world. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

3)Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs (single author fantasy anthology) 450 pages. Source: Library Started: 2/4 Finished: 2/5

Why Read: I loved the image of Mercy Thompson on the cover and thought that any story in her world would be wonderful.

Comments: Stories ranged from very good to awful. I gave the entire anthology a C.

4)In the Blue Hour by Elizabeth Hall (alternative religion) 308 pages. Source: Goodreads Giveaway
Started: 2/5 Finished: 2/8

Why Read: Only one copy was being given away and I won it! I thought it would be a New Age novel and didn't have high expectations.

Comments: The Native American content was wonderful. People who seem to be frauds aren't necessarily frauds. The protagonist learned unexpected things about her family. Rating B+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Shometet: Interesting information in your blog post about Blue Poppy Publishing and their guidance for self published authors to help a reader avoid a self published draft or other dreck. (From the spy thriller book)
What an unusual memoir. No, I can’t imagine falling in love with the US Constitution exactly but I have been reading up on it regularly and may have to look up that book (I am currently on the app which annoyingly blocks the original post while typing a comment)
I suppose the single author anthology was using filler stories along with the gems. One of the reasons I generally avoid anthologies is the unevenness of the various stories. I think I would have expected more from Patricia Briggs.