Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Frog Music by Emma Donoghue - 3/5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 29 comments Hi, everyone!

I'm new to this group, but I thought I'd just dive right in.

I read Frog Music for the informal book club I have going with a few friends from school, I didn't pick the book. Like most people, I read Room a while back and I was interested to see what Emma Donoghue's work was like.

The story itself takes place in San Francisco in the 1800s, durinf a massive heatwave. The protagonist is a young, extremely niave Parisian immigrant, Blanche, who dances and occasionally prositutes herself for high prices to provide for her "mac", or pimp, and his friend. She slowly becomes disillusioned with both these characters throughout the novel.
The story begins with the murder of Blanche's fiesty, androgynous friend Jenny, and continues to be split between flashbacks that detail events leading up to the murder and Blanche's actions afterward. Throughout the book Blanche struggles with issues of independance, freedom, motherhood, guilt, sexuality, and more.

I'm having a difficult time deciding whether or not I was apathetic toward this book because it wasn't my thing or because lf the content. Probably a little bit of both. Despite the unique setting, I was often frusterated by the decisions and reasonings of the main character, and somewhat repulsed by the undercurrent of violence in every sex scene and every sexual passage in the book. Whatever the reason, I didn't feel a very strong emotional connection to any characters in the novel. Additionally, I predicted the "twist" near the end when K was only 16% into the book (and I have my book club notes to prove it!), which didn't help. However, my book club friends seem to have enjoyed it, so if the premise interests you, I would definitely recommend giving it a try. If you do, let me know!

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8630 comments Aw, I really liked this one! I listened to the audio a few years ago, so maybe the audio made a difference?

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 29 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Aw, I really liked this one! I listened to the audio a few years ago, so maybe the audio made a difference?"

Good chance that it did. Weird because I normally enjoy ultra-specific time periods as settinga for historical fiction. I'd still give Donoghue another chance, though.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Welcome to the group!
I also read Room and picked this one up since I live up near San Francisco. I started it for one of the monthly tags, but didn’t really get very far — it wasn’t bad, but wasn’t holding my interest and I got distract by something else. I will try again at some point.