Horror Aficionados discussion

The Rats (Rats, #1)
This topic is about The Rats
Buddy Reads > The Rats - James Herbert

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kenneth (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kenneth McKinley | 1515 comments Mod
This is the thread for the Buddy Read of The Rats by James Herbert. We'll start this April 1st. As always, make sure you use spoiler tags and percentage/page markers. So far we have joining us:

Ken
Addy
Feli
Ginger
Joe
Rhonda
Andres
Jacob
Marie-Helene

Anyone else?

Ginger | 3246 comments Thanks Ken!

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Thank you for opening the thread, Ken!

Terry | 4849 comments Ginger wrote: "Thanks Ken!"

I read this book and the other two in the trilogy last year. I’ll be watching your comments. Hope you all enjoy!

message 5: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Piccoli | 174 comments I'll join. I always wanted to read James Herbert... and I hate rats. The first time I watched Ben as a kid, I was freaked out for months. I couldn't put my feet down off the couch for fear that a little sharp toothed bastard would take a bit outta my ankle. Thank the Lord I had bunk beds as a kid!

message 6: by Ginger (last edited Mar 11, 2018 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 3246 comments Terry wrote: "I read this book and the other two in the trilogy last year. I’ll be watching your comments. Hope you all enjoy!"

I remember you reading this last year! Yeah, I'm looking forward to some rat action next month. :D I haven't read a horror creature book in awhile.

Alan | 4628 comments Mod
I read this book ages ago. Although the subject matter is great, the story itself is in no way some of Herbert's best work. He got much better once he had a couple books under his belt.

Alan | 4628 comments Mod
I read this book ages ago. Although the subject matter is great, the story itself is in no way some of Herbert's best work. He got much better once he had a couple books under his belt.

message 9: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments We shud read Willard afterwards😋

Terry | 4849 comments Addy wrote: "We shud read Willard afterwards😋"

Willard, I believe, was based on the book Ratman's Notebooks. I have that book also, but haven’t read it yet. I’d join for that one!

Terry | 4849 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I read this book and the other two in the trilogy last year. I’ll be watching your comments. Hope you all enjoy!"

I remember you reading this last year! Yeah, I'm looking forward to ..."

Yeah, I’m a big fan of creature features myself!

message 12: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I was looking through my gazillion paperbacks for Rats and came across Willard:) I have to read some of these!...lol.

Terry | 4849 comments Addy wrote: "I was looking through my gazillion paperbacks for Rats and came across Willard:) I have to read some of these!...lol."

Awesome - You have the best library of horror books!

Glad I'm not the only one with a gazillion paperbacks. Lol.

message 15: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Of course, Rhonda. Glad to have you here :)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Addy wrote: "I was looking through my gazillion paperbacks for Rats and came across Willard:) I have to read some of these!...lol."

You lucky girl

message 17: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Yeah. It’s really to the point where I had to stop going to the bookstore for lack of room. The one I go to has an awesome horror section and I wud literally like to buy all of them!

Andres | 6 comments Hi

I would like to join - first time reading James Herbert - I have Others in my to read list and it seems Haunted has a lot supporters for the April Read Nomination in the HA group here.

Saw your post and The Rats jumped straight to number one position in my list...

message 19: by Kenneth (last edited Mar 21, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad to have you aboard, Rhonda and Andres. What started as an effort to whittle some of my massive TBR pile down has picked up steam to be a decent size Buddy Read.

Some people may grumble that Rats isn't Herbert's best offering. Others will argue the opposite. I honestly don't care. Herbert is a great author and this is his classic story that put his name on the map and spawned 3 sequels. I'm fired up to read it!

message 20: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rawlinson | 3 comments Would I be able to join please? I haven't read any James Herbert, but the premise sounds awesome. I'm an avid Stephen King reader, I need to broaden my horizons a bit :)

Marie Helene | 694 comments I'd like to join?

Ginger | 3246 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I'd like to join?"

Awesome Marie-Helene! We go from the arctic slog to cute furry creatures. ;) hahaha

Marie Helene | 694 comments I prefer cats as furry friends ;)

I can see a pattern, going from the Norway rats of HMS Terror to the London rats.

Ginger | 3246 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I can see a pattern, going from the Norway rats of HMS Terror to the London rats. "

Ha!! I see the pattern as well. :D

Marie-Helene wrote: "I'd like to join?"

Absolutely, Jacob and Marie-Helene. Looking forward to it. Rats are such nasty creatures. It's a wonder there aren't more horror tropes where rats are the stars.

Marie Helene | 694 comments After the polar bear, the rats

🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀

Signed: the Mad Zoologist

I was thinking that the 1970s loved their animals going nuts stories, everything from Jaws, The Rats, and movies like Grizzly, Pirahna, Orca, Food of the Gods, etc.

Ginger | 3246 comments Ken wrote: "I was thinking that the 1970s loved their animals going nuts stories, everything from Jaws, The Rats, and movies like Grizzly, Pirahna, Orca, Food of the Gods, etc."

That's so true Ken! You don't see those types of movies now and that makes me a bit sad. I love animal horror flicks!

Marie Helene | 694 comments April 1st, please come quickly!
I understand 'The rats' is the first book of a trilogy.
I've got a feeling April is going to be Pest Control month 🤤

message 30: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "April 1st, please come quickly!
I understand 'The rats' is the first book of a trilogy.
I've got a feeling April is going to be Pest Control month 🤤"

Yes, it is :)
I hope to read the whole trilogy soon but am not sure if I can make it in April. So many books to read, as always. But maybe... who knows :)

I still don't feel comfortable with rats... I haven't read or watched too much creature horror. I don't know what it is... I can read/watch the most brutal and gory stuff... but rats or monsters... hmm.. that's hard for me :D

Marie Helene | 694 comments I want to read the trilogy, hence Pest Control month
You don't like rats, neither do I. But mice are so adorable 😍
I have an 'Introduction to Language' to read, so Franck Herbert will the perfect balance.
Squeak squeak 🐭

Ginger | 3246 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I've got a feeling April is going to be Pest Control month 🤤"

Spring is the perfect time for furry critters to come out and play! ;) hahaha

message 33: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I want to read the trilogy, hence Pest Control month
You don't like rats, neither do I. But mice are so adorable 😍
I have an 'Introduction to Language' to read, so Franck Herbert will the perfect b..."

Oh, Introduction to Language sounds good. I hope you like it. I love language... but then, I'm studying and working as a linguist, so I am a bit biased on that I guess :D

Marie Helene | 694 comments Started reading The Rats yesterday.
32% in and loving it!
Vintage horror, swinging London, fun frightfest

Who's afraid of 🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPAF...

I'm starting this one tomorrow night. I can't wait to get into it and discuss. Rats are so damn nasty!

Andres | 6 comments 47%- started yesterday - I like it so far. Definitely need to keep going with this one and find out which way the story is going ...

Ginger | 3246 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "Who's afraid of 🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPAF..."

Definitely going to have to watch this after the book. Awesome!

message 38: by Ginger (last edited Apr 02, 2018 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 3246 comments I started this one last night and got a few chapters in. Old school creature horror and loving the setting of London as well!
Glad I joined this BR!

message 39: by Marie Helene (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marie Helene | 694 comments Andres wrote: "47%- started yesterday - I like it so far. Definitely need to keep going with this one and find out which way the story is going ..."

👍
Yes

message 40: by Ginger (last edited Apr 03, 2018 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 3246 comments Just finished up Ch5. (view spoiler)

message 41: by Feli (last edited Apr 03, 2018 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

I liked that chapter very much. (view spoiler)

This is just my second James Herbert book, but I have to say I see a certain pattern... (view spoiler)

message 42: by Terry (last edited Apr 03, 2018 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terry | 4849 comments Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

I liked that chapter very much."

Just curious, Feli, what was the other James Herbert book?

message 43: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Terry wrote: "Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

Just curious, Feli, what was the other James Herbert book?"

It was The Fog and also my first 'group read' here on GR (although it turned out that just Latasha and me were reading it, haha).

[Off topic fun fact: when I entered 'The Fog Herbert' for the link above, it was just the second book GR showed me... The first one was Romeo & Juliet by Shakespeare.. 🤔]

Terry | 4849 comments Feli wrote: "Terry wrote: "Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

Just curious, Feli, what was the other James Herbert book?"

It was [book:The ..."

I wondered if it had been The Fog or The Dark. They really do have a similar feel to this one, I thought also.

And yes, more amazing Goodreads intuition I see, lol!

Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

I liked that chapter very much. [spoilers removed]

This is just my second James Herbert book, but I have to say I see a certain pattern......"

I've often noticed weak female characters from stories from the 1970s. At first, I thought it was just one author and dismissed it as him being a chauvenistic prick, but then the more work from this era that I read, I found that it was quite common. Authors like Charles L Grant, J.N. Williamson, John Farris and others were quite guilty of this.

Finished Chapter 6 -

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Ginger (last edited Apr 04, 2018 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ginger | 3246 comments Ken wrote: "Finished Chapter 6 -

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly! I'm curious (view spoiler)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Finished chapter 10.

The Underground train :::
Monday morning rush :::
Recipe for disaster, of course

Well, (view spoiler)

message 49: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Piccoli | 174 comments For me, the hardest part to read was (view spoiler)

Andres | 6 comments Ken wrote: "Feli wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Just finished up Ch5. [spoilers removed]"

I liked that chapter very much. [spoilers removed]

This is just my second James Herbert book, but I have to say I see a certa..."

Agree, I also felt several comments were skewed, not only towards a strong skillful male character but there were also comments about "dark-skinned" people and wondering about one of the characters "being queer". I guess that is the way they wrote back then?. I don't think those comments add a thing to the whole plot.

I just finished it. Short but I went through it fairly quickly so I take that as a good sign. Always wanted to know what was coming next.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1