Play Book Tag discussion

Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat
This topic is about Three Ways to Capsize a Boat
Archive: Other Books > Three Ways to Capsize a Boat by Chris Stewart - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2285 comments Chris Stewart was recommended by a friend to be the skipper of a sailboat in the Greek islands for a summer in the 1980's. The wealthy ship owners hired Chris without knowing much about him and the fact that he had never sailed might have been a good thing to know. Undaunted, Chris quickly took sailing lessons and declared himself ready to go. Setting the boat on fire several times in the Aegean Sea was probably not all his fault but it did not bode well. He actually came to love sailing during that summer and managed to please the boat owners and their friends.

Summer over, Chris returned to England, his long-time and long-suffering girlfriend Ana, and his job as a sheep shearer. When he was approached by his original sailing instructor to sign on for a trip retracing Lief Erickson's voyage across the Atlantic, Chris jumped at the chance. After all, what could be so different from the Aegean Sea? As Chris would come to learn, there is a whole ocean of differences. Storms, freezing temperatures, fog, ice -- but the adventure of a lifetime.

I enjoyed Chris' adventures, and misadventures, quite a bit. Unfortunately I know zilch about sailing so a lot of the terms meant absolutely nothing to me and it tended to bog down the tale a tad. He is definitely an interesting man with quite a story to tell.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments This sounds amazing. I love when people have amazing life stories like being offered to sail a boat without ever sailing before. Adding to TBR