Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin
This topic is about The Found and the Lost
The Found & the Lost discussion > "Buffalo Gals, Won’t You Come Out Tonight" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

" Buffalo Gals, Won’t You Come Out Tonight " by Ursula K. Le Guin

(Originally published 1987. The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November 1987, Buffalo Gals and Other Animal Presences)

From the anthology The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin. See The Found and the Lost anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed this story, a sort of fairytale placed in the mythology of indigenous North American peoples. I found it a delight to read, A little girl crossed over into an alternate world of lost innocence.

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2727 comments I also loved this one, I like these spirit/god stories and the questioning of how we see the world. The only disappointment I had was that there were no literal buffalo gals in the story :)

Cindy | 22 comments Is this story related to always coming home?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Cindy wrote: "Is this story related to always coming home?"

I don't think so, though they share native American themes. Always Coming Home is a post-human Earth, and (like the Seggrit story in this collection) it has many internal short stories about the past. If you told me this was one of the stories from the ACH, I wouldn't be shocked.

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2727 comments Oh...wow. I would love to see Susan Seddon Boulet's illustrations for this story Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight by Ursula K. Le Guin . She's got the perfect style for it.