Brain Science Podcast discussion

Favorite Old Episodes

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 311 comments Mod
As many of you know I recently started a Fellowship in Palliative Care Medicine. This is very demanding both in terms of time and energy so I will need to reduce the frequency of new episodes for at least the rest of 2014 and possibly until I finish this commitment next summer.

Because I want to continue to provide FREE content every month I am going to start releasing edited versions of some of my favorite older episodes (ones that are currently Premium Content).

I have an idea of which ones I want to feature, but I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

What are your favorite episodes?
Which ones do you think would most benefit new listeners?

Feel free to add your suggestions to this thread through out the coming year.

message 2: by Tony (new)

Tony Williams | 1 comments I particularly enjoyed the shows with Pankseppt (?) and Damasio.

message 3: by Ginger (new)

Tony wrote: "I particularly enjoyed the shows with Pankseppt (?) and Damasio."

Ginger: I have interviewed Jaak Panksepp three times:

BSP 65
BSP 91
Books and Ideas #51

The two most recent interviews are FREE. BSP 65 is now premium, but it is available for free if you use the FREE Brain Science Mobile App it is currently available as free extra content with BSP 106.

BSP 90 is a discussion of Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain by Antonio Damasio. It should still be free until January 2015.

message 4: by Christian (new)

Christian Gallego (christiantzm) | 11 comments I thought the episode with Chris Frith dealt with some especially interesting content. I enjoyed it. The Eagleman and the body maps episode with Sandra Blakeslee episodes were good too.

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Christian wrote: "I thought the episode with Chris Frith dealt with some especially interesting content. I enjoyed it. The Eagleman and the body maps episode with Sandra Blakeslee episodes were good too."

Good suggestions.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Nov 29, 2014 11:50AM) (new)

Michael | 4 comments Episode 7 with Dr. Stuart Shanker, which deals with bonobo intelligence is an episode that I have played for friends and family. During the episode he related a story to illustrate the intellectual abilities of these remarkable creatures. He was walking in the woods, with a bonobo, when she (the bonobo) became excited and was apparently trying to communicate something to him, which baffled Dr. Shanker. When he reveals that she was warning him about poison mushrooms, every person with whom I have shared this has been dumbstruck.

I cannot imagine a better introduction to the podcast.

message 7: by Kinsey (new)

Kinsey Swartz (tvindy) | 2 comments Yes, Dr. Shanker's account of his interactions with that bonobo was the most incredible thing I ever heard on the Brain Science Podcast. As I recall, once he understood what the bonobo female was trying to tell him, she then took him by the hand and lead him around the forest habitat giving him a tour of the various plants, explaining which were toxic and which were good to eat.

It's my understanding from certain science programs (mostly Nova and Scientific American Frontiers) that studies of chimpanzees reveal that although chimps learn a great deal through observation, no chimp has ever been observed actively attempting to impart knowledge or skills to another chimp. It was even suggested that this is one of the primary differences between them and humans. But if bonobos are teachers, perhaps they would be the better species for us to study.

So, yes, I second the idea of including episode 7.

message 8: by Ginger (new)

This was my of my very first interviews and unfortunately the sound quality of this episode is not up to current standards, but I appreciate the feedback and I will consider using it in the future.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Yingling | 1 comments Ginger wrote: "As many of you know I recently started a Fellowship in Palliative Care Medicine. This is very demanding both in terms of time and energy so I will need to reduce the frequency of new episodes for a..."

Would love to hear the interview with John Kabat Zinn and learn about meditation, mindfulness, and the neuro response! Keep up the great work!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Ginger wrote: "This was my of my very first interviews and unfortunately the sound quality of this episode is not up to current standards, but I appreciate the feedback and I will consider using it in the future."

If you are concerned with sound quality, I need to give you feedback on your most recent interview, with Dr Craig. I found it almost unlistenable. But the subject matter was so compelling that I soldiered through it.

message 11: by Ginger (new)

Unfortunately there was some noise on Dr. Craig's end that I could not remove. I should probably pay someone to clean it up.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Thank you, but maybe you shouldn't. I was considering becoming a premium subscriber just to get a transcript.

On second thought, I will subscribe regardless. Your podcast is well worth it.

unread topics | mark unread