Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin
This topic is about The Found and the Lost
The Found & the Lost discussion > "A Man Of The People" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

" A Man Of The People " by Ursula K. Le Guin

(Originally published 1995. Asimov's Science Fiction, April 1995, Four Ways to Forgiveness)

From the anthology The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin. See The Found and the Lost anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 17, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Hainish universe story takes place mostly on Yeowe, a former colony of Werel (from previous story, "Forgiveness Day"). Again an Ekumen ambassador, Havzhiva, is sent there after the successful revolt. He finds a bit of xenophobia, and that the women of Yeowe remain as second-class as they were under the former colonial rule (though not owner or asset anymore – almost all former "assets", i.e. slaves.) Havzhiva gets involved by befriending some local women, setting a sort of example, I suppose.

Le Guin gives Havzhiva a lot more background & depth than she gave Solly in the previous story ("Forgiveness Day"). Havzhiva comes from an unusual island culture (Stse) an Hain itself, though it seems much lower-tech than one might expect of the the dominant space culture center. "All truth is local, no truth is complete." I didn't quite grok all the talk of "gods".

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2663 comments G33z3r wrote: "I didn't quite grok all the talk of "gods". "

Me neither. I sort of get the god during lovemaking, but the sparking "god" that ran down the street one day was bizarre. Was also hard to wrap my mind around parts of the Hain being so primitive (the people from this area don't even learn to read if I recall) what with the Hain being the most ancient and advanced of all the cultures. Perhaps they found that technology wasn't all it's cracked up to be.