Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin
This topic is about The Found and the Lost
The Found & the Lost discussion > "The Finder" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2018 06:36PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

" The Finder " by Ursula K. Le Guin

(Originally published 2001. Tales from Earthsea)

From the anthology The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin. See The Found and the Lost anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2509 comments We go from SF to Fantasy here. I've read all but one Earthsea story/novella so this one isn't new to me but was nice to revisit it.

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2509 comments After getting through all three Earthsea stories I should give warnings to those that haven't read the series.

This story is fine. No spoilers in either direction since it takes place in the past. It's more fun to read if you know what past event is being described but definitely a safe story to read even for an Earthsea newbie.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Le Guin remarked in Tales from Earthsea that the "story will profit from having read the novels first," although this takes place 300 years before A Wizard of Earthsea.

It is a pleasure to get back to Earthsea, even if only some of it is recognizable from the time period of the novels. I'd read this before (in Tales from Earthsea), but interestingly I remembered the events in this lengthy novella as three separate stories:

– Otter, the Finder, being made captive by nasty wizard & pirate team, and later escaping with mysterious help.
– The visits to the Immaculate Grove, which admittedly is not very eventful in this novella.
– Finally, the founding of the School on Roke (Though in this case, I was expecting a comment on why women were excluded from Roke, which isn't mentioned, so I assume I'm remembering that from another story.)

It's interesting that Le Guin has one of the "bad guys" from the early section circle back around as, if not a "good guy", at least an "okay guy". (view spoiler) In that way, it's reminiscent of the stories in Five Ways to Forgiveness.

Also interesting that this was written after Dragonfly, but appears before it in this collection as well as in Tales from Earthsea, presumably because it takes place before them. I.e., Le Guin has arranged the stories in chronological order rather than publication order. :)

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2509 comments G33z3r wrote: "Finally, the founding of the School on Roke (Though in this case, I was expecting a comment on why women were excluded from Roke, which isn't mentioned, so I assume I'm remembering that from another story.)"

There is the belief that if a male wizard is intimate with a woman he'll lose/despoil his powers. That's definitely mentioned in Dragonfly, but even here they are discussing it, which is interesting since it's mainly women that are keeping magic going on Roke and the guys kind of show up later and take over.

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Le Guin seems to have been unhappy that she made all the wizards male in A Wizard of Earthsea, so she used this as an opportunity to retcon the reason why. This could have almost as easily been 3 short stories instead of a novella but this is the second time i've read The Finder and I enjoyed it each time.

G33z3r wrote: Though in this case, I was expecting a comment on why women were excluded from Roke, which isn't mentioned, so I assume I'm remembering that from another story.

It's in Tales from Earthsea's A Description of Earthsea where the first Archmage, Halkel, abolishes the title of Master Finder and bans women from being wizards.