Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin
This topic is about The Found and the Lost
The Found & the Lost discussion > "Dragonfly" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2018 06:52PM) (new)

This is our discussion of the short story....

Dragonfly by Ursula K. Le Guin

(Originally published 1998. Legends & Tales from Earthsea)

From the anthology The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin. See The Found and the Lost anthology discussion hub for more info on the anthology and pointers to discussion of its other stories.

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2477 comments SPOILERS!

Definitely, absolutely, must have read most, if not all, the Earthsea books. It has major spoilers of events in the books (i.e. it gives away the ending to at least one of them), and of course would be hard to appreciate the story itself if you weren't already familiar with the characters and events.

That said (view spoiler)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 17, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Random prattle: This story was originally published in Legends, the first fantasy anthology equivalent of a rock Supergroup. It had novella from a dozen major authors, each set in their famous worlds, e.g a Stephen King "Gunslinger" story, a Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" novella ("A New Spring"), a Pratchett Discworld story (Granny Weatherwax in "The Sea and Little Fishes"), and a McCaffrey Pern story ("Runner of Pern") etc. Amazingly, Le Guin's Earthsea story didn't merit the cover blurb. (Neither did GRRM, though this was before his ASoIaF.) It was must-buy for everyone.

Apparently the return to Earthsea triggered other such stories in Le Guin, leading to their collection in Tales from Earthsea anthology in 2001.

message 4: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2477 comments I have Tales from Earthsea (which has all three of these stories plus a couple more). I also have a dragon anthology that gave me one of the other remaining two stories. The final one is in Epic, the anthology that was a group read not that long ago, but I haven't picked that one up yet. Well, I thought it was the last one till I checked GR, looks like there's a new one I wasn't aware of from 2014 - The Daughter of Odren

I also have Legends (sometimes frustrating buying the same story multiple times just to get ahold of the other stories in the anthology) that gives me Runner of Pern

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one of the more delightful Earthsea stories, about a young woman, Dragonfly, and her determination to go to Roke and get the wizards to tell her who she is. She challenges the "no girls allowed" sign on the door.

One of the delights of Earthsea is how nice and accommodating most of the population is.

The story does a little cleaning up of the aftermath of The Farthest Shore. (And might spoil a bit of Tehanu.) Apparently Ged was the irreplaceable man.