Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin
This topic is about The Found and the Lost
Book Discussions > The Found and the Lost by Ursula K. Le Guin

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

This is our discussion hub of the short story anthology...

The Found and the Lost The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin The Found and the Lost: The Collected Novellas of Ursula K. Le Guin by Ursula K. Le Guin
(2016)

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in The Found and the Lost discussion folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content below.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

CONTENT

"Vaster Than Empires And More Slow" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Buffalo Gals, Won’t You Come Out Tonight" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Hernes" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"The Matter Of Seggri" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Another Story Or A Fisherman Of The Inland Sea" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Forgiveness Day" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"A Man Of The People" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"A Woman’s Liberation" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Old Music And The Slave Women" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"The Finder" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"On The High Marsh" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Dragonfly" by Ursula K. Le Guin
"Paradises Lost" by Ursula K. Le Guin

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in The Found and the Lost discussion folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content above.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

Please comment of each individual story in it's own topic in The Found and the Lost discussion folder (Links to each story's topic in the Table of Content above.) You can use this topic for general discussions of the anthology as a whole.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Most of these stories have been published elsewhere, some many times. This is a new anthology from just 2016. I've listed the original publication date & place, and sometimes a second publication, in the individual story topics. Most of these stories share a universe with other Le Guin works, e.g. the Hainish novels, Earthsea, Klatsand.

Except for the first, they all date from 1987-2002.

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2511 comments I'm nearing the halfway point and aside from one story I've been enjoying them all so far. I'm glad I read The Dispossessed before so I had some idea of the Hainish world, I'll need to read some of the others some day.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "I also have Legends (sometimes frustrating buying the same story multiple times just to get ahold of the other stories in the anthology) ..."

Overlap is almost inevitable in the collections of prolific authors, especially when the selection criteria is a random as it is in this anthology. (All the stories Le Guin wrote that are between 17,000 - 40,000 words in length.) More logically grouped, most of the stories appear in The Hainish Novels and Stories (which is a real brick, since it includes all the novels, too) and Tales from Earthsea. "Vaster Than Empires And More Slow" is in The Wind's Twelve Quarters (volume 2 if you're an old-timer or in a used bookstore.) Also, most of them appear in various "best SF of the year...." type anthologies.

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 2511 comments Yeah, I can see how overlap is just the nature of the game. First, the author writes the story and it shows up in some magazine or mixed anthology. Then, after several stories in one of the author's worlds is written, then they get collected for fans of that world. And then, when the author is famous enough, you get their collected works which includes everything. Plus, since anthologies notoriously go out of print, getting your story into a newer anthology is not a bad idea. There's are 2 Earthsea shorts not included in Tales (in fact 3 but the third is new), and were only in out-of-print anthologies until I found one in a dragon anthology (which I have) and one in Epic (which I don't have yet)

Anyone know if these are all the Hain shorts/novellas?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "Anyone know if these are all the Hain shorts/novellas?..."

"These"? No. I already mentioned in another topic "Betrayals", a novelette not in this collection. Also not here:

"Winter's King" (in The Wind's Twelve Quarters) is a sort-of prequel to The Left Hand of Darkness.

"Coming of Age in Karhide", "Solitude" & "Mountain Ways" (in The Birthday of the World)

Also, technically The Word for World is Forest is a novella, though it's probably not in this collection since it was re-published separately as a short, stand-alone Hainish "novel" (it originally appeared in Again, Dangerous Visions.)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments The Word for World is Forest is a must-read. At 44k words it's an extremely short novel, but one of her best.

message 8: by Cat (last edited Mar 26, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Cat | 343 comments I'm still awaiting delivery of this anthology... when I eventually get it and read it I will comment on the stories - better late than never!