Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Forever Right Now
This topic is about Forever Right Now
Archive (Buddy Reads) > March 2018 Buddy Read - Forever Right Now (Chiara & Ezinwanyi)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Mar 10, 2018 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Forever Right Now by Emma Scott
Forever Right Now by Emma Scott
Blurb:
Darlene Montgomery has been to hell and back…more than once. After a stint in jail for drug possession, she is finally clean and ready to start over. Yet another failed relationship is just the motivation she needs to move from New York to San Francisco with the hopes of resurrecting her dance career and discovering that she is more than the sum of her rap sheet. As Darlene struggles in her new city, the last thing she wants is to become entangled with her handsome—but cranky—neighbor and his adorable little girl...

Sawyer Haas is weeks away from finishing law school, but exhaustion, dwindling finances, and the pressure to provide for himself and his daughter, Olivia, are wearing him down. A federal clerkship--a job he desperately needs--awaits him after graduation, but only if he passes the Bar Exam. Sawyer doesn’t have the time or patience for the capricious—if beautiful—dancer who moves into the apartment above his. But Darlene’s easy laugh and cheerful spirit seep into the cracks of his hardened heart, and slowly break down the walls he’s resurrected to keep from being betrayed ever again.

When the parents of Olivia’s absentee mother come to fight for custody, Sawyer could lose everything. To have any chance at happiness, he must trust Darlene, the woman who has somehow found her way past his brittle barbs, and Darlene must decide how much of her own bruised heart she is willing to give to Sawyer and Olivia, especially when the ghosts of her troubled past refuse to stay buried. (less)

Chiara | 670 comments I have a feeling this one will be much better!!

Enjoy your vacation at Disney!! 😊

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I have a feeling this one will be much better!!

Enjoy your vacation at Disney!! 😊"

It will be. We can resume after the vacation
Sometime Next week!

Chiara | 670 comments Sure! Just let me know when you're back and you're ready to start!!

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Hey Chiara,
I’m back from Disney!!
I’m exhausted but I should be ready for this one this weekend.

Chiara | 670 comments Hey welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your Disney vacation!!
This weekend sounds good to me!

Chiara | 670 comments Sorry I got a bit busy this weekend and couldn’t start the book yet! I think I’ll be able to start tonight!

message 8: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Sorry I got a bit busy this weekend and couldn’t start the book yet! I think I’ll be able to start tonight!"

I’m starting in the Morning as well. Today was too busy at work.
I’m going to miss reading with you. Archer's Voice was a great read!

Chiara | 670 comments You’re up late!
Don’t worry I’ve not started reading it yet as well! I’ve just finished a book and Forever Right Now is up next! So we’re gonna be starting more or less at the same time!

I’m going to miss reading with you as well! I really enjoyed it..you are a great buddy read partner! I hope we’ll have the chance to be read partners again in the future!

What are you gonna read next month with your new buddy read partner?
I’ve read very good reviews about Archer’s Voice so I’m looking forward that one as well!
Have a goodnight! (Or good morning in case you’re gonna read this in the morning!)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "You’re up late!
Don’t worry I’ve not started reading it yet as well! I’ve just finished a book and Forever Right Now is up next! So we’re gonna be starting more or less at the same time!

I’m going..."

My new partner and I are reading The British Knight by Louise Bay .

Chiara | 670 comments The British Knight sounds like a nice read! I love UK so that's a bonus for me!

I'm gonna start our last book right now :)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I just started and boy, this is hitting a little too close to home.

My little brother went away on an assignment for work, leaving his fiance and us (his family) in Texas as he went to Washington (another state) for a year long work task.

He decided to have a little fun and picked up a woman in a bar. She told him she was on the pill and he stupidly decided not to wear a condom.

well, I am sure you suspect the rest. He hasn't told his fiancee yet.

So this first chapter feels like it is REAL LIFE to me right now.

Chiara | 670 comments Oh wow what a coincidence!
And what an ugly situation...I cannot imagine what his fiancée will have to experience. I think being cheated on is one of the worst things that can happen..

And the other woman..well she was quite dishonest as well..

Chiara | 670 comments I’m not a mother (unfortunately) but I could never imagine someone abandoning their own child...I think it’s one of the worst thing you can do..no matter how desperate your situation is

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Oh wow what a coincidence!
And what an ugly situation...I cannot imagine what his fiancée will have to experience. I think being cheated on is one of the worst things that can happen..

And the oth..."

The other woman did NOT know about my brother's fiancee. My brother was dishonest to her and told the other woman he wasn't seeing anyone.

As for his fiancee, if I were her, I would be upset at the cheating AND upset that he slept with another person without protection, which could have led to passing around diseases.
And now there is a pregnancy.

No, it's my brother's lies that led to this situation.

Also, a guy in my neighborhood married a girl he got pregnant. She was in her 3rd year of medical school after lying and pretending to be in pharmacy school. he would leave and pretend to go to school but he wasn't in school.

She got pregnant and they got married. She had to withdraw from her studies and have her baby to find our he was just a pharmacy tech, not a pharmacist.

After 3 kids, and such financial hardship, she took the kids and left him. But she couldn't take care of 3 kids alone and she had a breakdown. She took the kids to his parents since she couldn't take care of them. She said she didn't want to be selfish and hold on to them, she would rather given them to the grandparents who hate her but could provide a great life for the kids. and she returned to the homeless shelter until she got herself together.

She is now with her family and has visitation rights. My neighbor's son is still living with his parents at age 46, with teenage kids too. The kids may feel abandoned but they don't remember what's its like moving from apartment to apartment, homeless shelter and how they had lice, ringworms, no clean clothes etc. They only have lies they told the kids about what a weak person their mother was, how she couldn't hold their family together, how she left the dad because she was weak. I thought she was brave to return her kids to my neighbor even though they treated her like dirt.

So as a mom, I would give them up if my care was detrimental to their health but I would be mindful of whom I place them with

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Oh wow what a coincidence!
And what an ugly situation...I cannot imagine what his fiancée will have to experience. I think being cheated on is one of the worst things that can happen..."

I think your brother did 3 wrong things. First of all cheating on her fiancee. If you cheat on someone it means you don't love that person anymore or you don't love her enough. The wise thing to do would be split up, instead of cheating.
The second wrong and naive thing was having sex with a stranger without protection. Because, as you also mentioned, beside a pregnancy he could also have contracted an STD which would have been bad for him, but also for his fiancee.
And here comes the third thing he did wrong in my opinion, which is not confessing. He needs to come clean as soon as possible 'cause his fiancee deserves to know the truth. She deserves to know he was unfaithful, that he exposed her to a potential disease, and that he's gonna be a father.
How did you react to the situation?

And talking about the other issue..the case you mentioned of the woman who abandoned her children is quite heavy and serious. If you don't have the means to sustain your children and you decide to leave them to family members that you know will give them a better life it's understandable.
If the choice is between putting your kids at risk or giving them up, the selfless thing to do is giving them to someone that can take better care of them.
But in other less serious cases I cannot accept the fact that that a mother can give up her children and simply disappear.

Are you liking the book so far? I haven't read much of it but I'd say so far so good!

Chiara | 670 comments I’m halfway..so far it’s a nice story..nothing major happening to be honest

Chiara | 670 comments Chapter 16
Ok just a few pages after I said nothing major happened and here comes the bomb about (view spoiler)...

Chiara | 670 comments The end of chapter 17 was even more shocking... (view spoiler)

Chiara | 670 comments I finished.
It was a nice story..not spectacular but it was ok. I really enjoyed some parts and I found others a bit boring. I’ll wait for you to catch up so we can discuss it!

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I’m still in the beginning where Sawyer is being an ass to the tenant Darlene.
Maybe he’s a jerk becuase he is tired and wary of woman.

Chiara | 670 comments Yes, he’s a bit of a jerk in the beginnng with Darlene but he’s just tired, and protective towards her daughter

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I’m on the part where Sawyer the wannabe lawyer went to see the judge. The judge told him that he lacked compassion for rehabilitated people and so now Sawyer is scared.

The judge is right. Sawyers ability to memorize or recall everything makes him rely on that more than adding human emotion to his work.

I haven’t warmed to Darlene yet. She is so damn needy and clings to people even when they are rude and don’t want her. She’s already repeating the pattern forcing herself into Sawyer and Ilivia’s path.

She needs relationships and that why her parents rejection isn’t her rock bottom nor her arrest. But once Sawyer finds out about her past, he’ll freeze her out

Chiara | 670 comments I really liked the judge..he’s a wise man!

Yes, at the beginning Darlene forces herself quite a bit on Sawyer. He keeps treating her with coldness and she keeps trying to be his friend.
She is in recovery but she needs to start working on herself if she truly wants to get better.
I couldn’t connect with her very much throughout the story..maybe because the author doesn’t explain very well her background or her past as an addict. I felt like there was something missing.

What is good about Sawyer and Darlene is probably the fact that they are very different and they can balance each other out. Darlene can help Sawyer being more open to people and to see that life is not black or white. And Sawyer can help Darlene growing and be less clingy.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I feel like Darlene focuses on others, or outside situations to avoid dealing with how she feels about herself

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I feel like Darlene focuses on others, or outside situations to avoid dealing with how she feels about herself"

I like her relationship with Max because he helps her a lot and he makes her realize that she's not healed until she's ready to face her past and her feelings. He's a really good friend.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Max just got the new job in Seattle. How cool was that.
Darlene ran out of her date wirh Saywer and Molly’s parents showed up.

I know now why we aren’t connecting.

We met Party Sawyer whose finishing up law school. He’s a player and a kid got dumped on him.
We didn’t get to know anything about him other than he remembers everything and he throws wild ass parties with his roommates.
No substance. Then he gets Olivia.

Darlene says goodbye to NY, we don’t know anything about her other than she needs a clean start. I’m really sure how she got into drugs, why etc.

We don’t know Molly and why she dumped that cute Livvie on Sawyer. Who is Molly? Why did Sawyer choose to keep Livvie knowing what he knew?

But the characters were not developed. They are developing as we go, so I hope by the end I will fall in love with their story.
I like them but It’s not gripping me like i would like

message 28: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I also thing Darlene balances Sawyer out. So i agree wirh you and i also love her relationship with Max. Her sponsor is teaching her to be honest and he’s not letting her get away with anything. She needs serious accountability or she is prone to lie to herself and rationalizing everything away

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments My brother: well, I’m torn.
I do think he should be honest with his fiancée. But he doesn’t want to say since they baby isn’t born. So it seems “unreal” to him.
But I feel sorry for his fiancée because my brother has a pattern of selfish behavior and unfaithfulness. She is clueless but this isn’t the first Or second extra relationship my brother has had. These are the dangers to long distance relationship. She doesn’t seem but a week Every two months.

The lady who gave up her kids:
That was the best thing for the kids as the grandparents are of means. But they have been constantly telling the kids that their mom left them and didn’t love them enough to stick it out with their dad (whose still a loser).
So the kids want nothing to do with her right now. I hope when they are older, they will give her a chance to explain herself.

She jusr finished her nursing degree as her school let her use some of her medical school hours towards a nursing.
Once she passes her board, she wants to petition for visitation as she moved to another state closer to some distance relatives.
Then go from there

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Without being a bitch, molly’s Parents couldn’t handle Molly, why do they want Molly’s kid?
Her friend Karen simmons never bothered to check in the kid but now gave a statement?? I bet Molly’s parents gave her some money. We don’t know who Ross Mathis is? We don’t know why Molly’s childhood wasn’t rosy. She didn’t want a relationship with her parents and she didn’t even tell them she had a kid.

When Ross didn’t want Olivia, Molly didn’t give her daughter to her parents BUT rather a stranger she hooked up with ONCE. That’s not a ringing endorsement. They may have money but Molly didn’t want them in her life nor her kids life

message 31: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Mar 31, 2018 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Darlene seems to set herself up for failure.

She called her mom 1wk before her performance to come see her. Why not give me more time? So she gave her mom and dad an out with her procrastinating.

Deep down, she knew Sawyer was unforgiving but that’s who kept giving a piece of her heart to. The most complicated person she could have picked, a Law student, with kid.

She just seems to pick hard situations so when they fail she has an excuse to revert to her habits.

Sawyer, I understand why he’s mad. She should have told him
I am proud of Darlene though. She made it to a meeting 🙌🏾. Good girl!!!

message 32: by Chiara (last edited Mar 31, 2018 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Max just got the new job in Seattle. How cool was that.
Darlene ran out of her date wirh Saywer and Molly’s parents showed up.

I know now why we aren’t connecting.

We met Party Sawyer whose finis..."

Yes I agree. That’s what I told you in a previous comment as well. I couldn’t connect with Darlene because the author doesn’t explain her background or why she was an addict. She just mentions it briefly. I know that Darlene is a secondary character in another book, The Butterfly Project, but since this is a stand-alone, the author should have explainer her story a bit better.
I liked her more towards the end, wen she finally starts facing her demons.

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "My brother: well, I’m torn.
I do think he should be honest with his fiancée. But he doesn’t want to say since they baby isn’t born. So it seems “unreal” to him.
But I feel sorry for his fiancée be..."

Do you have a close relationship with your brother's fiancee?? I hope not for your own sake cause I imagine that it's not easy to stay silent and not tell her the truth (even if I know it's not your truth to tell).
What's the point in waiting for te baby to be born?! Cause he wants to make sure the child belongs to him?
The damage has been done. He cheated. He exposed his fiancee to STDs. Whether he's the father or not it doesn't change much. And she deserves to know who really is her fiancé and she needs to decide if she wants to stay in the relationship or not.

And for the woman that left her children with their grandparents. I understand the situation and the gravity of it and, as I mentioned before, I justify in this case the fact that she gave them away. As Sawyer will learn, in life nothing is black or white but, every situation is unique. In this case she did the right thing, both for herself and her children. But I think the grandparents should have been honest. Is never a good thing to put a child against his own parent by lying. If and when the truth will come out, those children probably won't be too happy about having been lied to.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I read the Butterfly Project last month and the author barely mentioned Darlene. It was Zelda and Beckett's story. It was MUCH better than this. Well written and characters were so likable.

She did not tell us about Darlene's past nor did we get to see Sawyer's either. We know only Sawyer's mom was killed by drunk driver who had received a slap on the wrist. Sawyer wasn't built up at all.

I think Jackson should get his own story. I am interested in getting to know him. He seems like a nice guy. Or even a story about Max as he returns to his old stomping ground and parents who threw him out like trash

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Without being a bitch, molly’s Parents couldn’t handle Molly, why do they want Molly’s kid?
Her friend Karen simmons never bothered to check in the kid but now gave a statement?? I bet Molly’s par..."

Yes, unfortunately we know nothing about Molly's past but probably there were reasons behind the fact that she didn't want to give Olivia to them.
This book is nice and it touched important themes but probably it should have been developed more.
It's not very long, just about 270 pages, so I think the author should have made a bigger effort to portrait the story in a better way. She should have developed the characters more, especially telling their story and why they are who they are now. I felt like things were a bit rushed to be honest. It's still a good book, but something is missing in my opinion.

Chiara | 670 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I read the Butterfly Project last month and the author barely mentioned Darlene. It was Zelda and Beckett's story. It was MUCH better than this. Well written and characters were so likable.

She di..."

The Butterfly Project is on my TBR list for April. I'm glad to know it's much better than this one!
I thought that we had a better explanation of Darlene's past in that book, since in Forever Right Now we don't know much about it, but now that you tell me that she's just briefly mentioned, I'm a bit disappointed and confused!
We know she was a dancer and then she started using and stopped dancing. She just explains it briefly towards the end but I don't feel like it's enough.

I really liked Jackson as well and I agree with you on the fact that he should have his own story.
This story had great potential, good characters, important themes, a great writing style. But I still felt something was definitely missing 'cause characters and story were totally underdeveloped