Dead and Well-Read Society discussion

Pet Sematary
This topic is about Pet Sematary
Pet Sematary > Pet Sematary Discussion 1

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, Creator/Head Librarian (new)

Megan (deadandwellread) | 74 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!

Here's some discussion questions for your progress thus far! I hope everyone is enjoying Pet Sematary...

1.) What was your first impression with the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to get into it?
2.) In regards to the characters--How has the past shaped their lives?
3.) Do they remind you of people you know?
4.) Do you admire or disapprove of them?
5.)Is this a plot-driven book—a fast-paced page-turner?
6.) What's the scariest part of this book thus far?

Take your time. Marinate on these questions. Be sure to engage with other readers!

Julie Just finished this one and holy crap...so good. I loved the Jud character, would love to have the Crandall's as neighbors. Louis was likeable but Rachel I didn't care for much until after she let it all out about Zelda because then we learned why she was so the way she was about the subject of death. The first half of the book had me just interested enough to keep going but into the last half of the book I was reading every chance I got. Trying not to be too specific about details so as not to post spoilers. Scariest part of the book for me was a part near the end after Rachel went upstairs in Jud's house.

Abbie This book was a creepy one!

I hear they are doing a remake of the movie.

message 4: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Vielma (monicavielma) Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "This book was a creepy one!

I hear they are doing a remake of the movie."

They are doing a remake. I like the original movie but I'm pretty excited about a remake.

message 5: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Vielma (monicavielma) I'm not quite finished yet but should be finished before the end of the month.
This is my second time reading this book and Jud is always, by far, my favorite character in this book. He reminds me of my father, a little. Very down-to-earth kind of guy, plain speaking, and the kind of man who shows he cares through the things he does for you. And sadly, him introducing Louis to the Pet Semetary is one of those good intentions that paves the road to hell.
The most difficult part for me to get through is always Gage's funeral. It's hard to read and when I watch the film version it's tough to watch. There's so much pain in that scene that you can't blame Louis for the things he does.
I agree with Julie about Rachel. At first you don't understand why she's...well, she's just a jerk to Louis when he tries to explain death to Ellie when she gets upset after Norma's death. But when Rachel tells the story about her sister Zelda, you can't help but feel anger and sadness and understanding just as Louis does.

Rachael Perkins | 4 comments Finished reading Pet Sematary a few days ago, my first Stephen King book I’ve completed. I know I know Stephen King is an amazing author, I tried to read Misery years ago and just couldn’t get into it... and I started The Stand but never finished it... with Pet Sematary I was upset with how quick and abruptly it seemed to end, it just seemed to me that so much effort was put into the first 400 pages that when it got to the good stuff (last 100 pages) it was over before you knew it! I was engaged immediately when I began reading. It kept me interested I wanted to know what would happen next. In regards to the characters Rachel’s past experience with her sister Zeldas death has definitely shaped her views of death and how she handles it now. None of the characters really remind me of anyone I know. I admire Louis and Jud after Church gets ran over they think of little Ellie and how devastated she’d be to find out her pet was killed. But it only opens the door to more terrifying events. It was a page turner for me especially towards the end! The scariest part of the book was the ending!!!