A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1) A Child Called "It" discussion

What is wrong with people?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JJ (new)

JJ Ok i understand the many things i have read about "stretching the truth" but honestly does it really matter? The fact of the matter is...this kid was, even with partial imagination, abused!!! No one will ever know how bad it REALLY was but him. Not his brother, grandmother, especially his own mom, are you kidding me? You think she's going to sit there and expose herself as a bad mother? hell no!!!! Despite the possibility of him making it seem a lot worse than it really happened, I don't care! Something obviously did happen and that is enough for me to believe it is just not right! Psychologically, he might have made a bunch of things up, from the effects of the occurrences, which it's hard to sit here and blame him for. Some people find it real hard to move past a traumatic event, just one, now that we are talking constant, multiple events...ya shit starts getting to your head people. Just like the effects of lucid dreaming. I'm pretty sure that even if his mother was not as abusive in reality as he made it seem, for someone to write a book about something this bad in their childhood, I'm sure she wasn't the best of mothers. just saying.

Kristen Sadly, there have been much worse cases than this in the news.
People are sick.

message 3: by JJ (new)

JJ Kristen wrote: "Sadly, there have been much worse cases than this in the news.
People are sick."

Oh i mean, of course, there will always be something worse, but that's not a reason to put to shame and just move past the forgotten. I'm sorry, I remember when I read this book, and it affected me so bad, to the point it hurts worst right now, reading all these selfless comments on this website. It's unbelievable!

message 4: by JJ (new)

JJ Yes this would be true for any other type of story, but the main point here that most ppl are forgetting to see is the intensity of the issue. Its a story abt a kid who had a horrible upbringing....no matter how little or much he was actually beaten its the fact behind the story that it happened period. Its like criticizing one person with cancer surviving it 3 times vs just once...they both survived it! It shouldn't be a discussion on what's credible.

Aleah I agree with you JJ. What he went through was something that was very traumatic and it is very disrespectful that people would not take the issue in the book seriously.

message 6: by JJ (new)

JJ Aleah wrote: "I agree with you JJ. What he went through was something that was very traumatic and it is very disrespectful that people would not take the issue in the book seriously."
thank you....at least someone gets the picture...

message 7: by JJ (new)

JJ Its disrespectful to talk shit about some child that suffered a traumatic event in his youth. no matter the cause, no matter the intensity, the cause is yet still a cause and the fact that it happened, is all it takes. So what is he over exaggerated somethings in his book...um its a book. psychologically, you could ask any psych...the mind is a powerful tool, and sometimes it plays tricks on us, keeping that in mind, maybe he envisioned things to happen (that probably didn't happen) just because of his anticipation from the trauma.

Alexandra I think I see what you mean. Even if the really bad stuff only happened occasionally, the fact of knowing that CAN happen leaves the child with a level of fear no one with a normal childhood feels. So ordinary parental discipline, threats etc. are terrifying. It doesn't matter that a different child would not find this severe. The knowledge that the final outcome can potentially be extreme makes any parental hostility terrifying.

message 9: by JJ (new)

JJ Alexandra wrote: "I think I see what you mean. Even if the really bad stuff only happened occasionally, the fact of knowing that CAN happen leaves the child with a level of fear no one with a normal childhood feels...."

thank-you very much for understanding. I couldn't have said it any better myself. I will say though, what would be a normal childhood exactly? I don't believe in the word "normal" or at least never understood what the true meaning meant (honestly, i don't care to find out either). i just find it completely horrifying that anybody in their right minds could treat another human, animal, plant...anything with life, in this way.

message 10: by Alexandra (last edited Oct 14, 2014 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alexandra I also think we may be missing another point here. Dave says that he is going to tell it AS IT SEEMED TO HIM AT THE TIME. He is trying to recapture how he felt as a small boy.

Now of course, if the stomach (the organ) is perforated, horrible things happen which a child could not self-medicate. But when I was that age "stomach" meant 'the area of the torso between the trouser waistband and the rib cage'. So "stabbed in the stomach" may been 'knife stuck into fleshy part of belly'. That's going to hurt a lot and bleed a lot, but if it doesn't go through, it will not actually do serious damage. It is consistent with a drunken mother stumbling, and lurching into her child (which is how he describes it happening).

And to call that lying or exagerating is to miss the child's viewpoint. To have the person who is supposed to care for you stick a knife in you is terrifying. To expect a child, in pain, to rationally assess the severity of the wound is unreasonable. He never claimed she was trying to kill him; he is trying to describe what it felt like TO A LITTLE BOY.

Amounts of time, amounts of gas... these things get distorted in the memory of adults who have been pushed to the limits of endurance. To expect precision from a tired, hungry, scared kid is unrealistic.

The important point is that Dave (in his first book), does not attempt to rationalise his memories. He chooses to try to convey what it was like to be him - how it seemed at that time.

Zahara In my English class a few other students and I created a blog on the next two books in the series. If you`re interested, please check it out! I would appreciate any feedback.

http://291888.blogspot.com/