Christ is risen! Now what? discussion

Week 3: May 7-13 > 153 fish in the net

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (last edited May 08, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

Rick Mills (rickmills9) | 35 comments Mod
Reading: John 21: 1-14

Jesus appears to the disciples at Lake Tiberias. Once again, the disciples do not recognize him as Jesus. They don't figure it out until the he tells them to cast their net off the other side of the boat, and it immediately fills with 153 fish. What do you think of this pattern of the appearances: Jesus appearing, but not being recognized until something else happens?

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Mills | 15 comments Perhaps Jesus felt if He was recognized immediately, the disciples would be too surprised/shocked to respond. Maybe it was easier for them to respond to His actions and message if they had a little more time to get comfortable with Him.
My study Bible commentary says that perhaps the disciples didn't recognize Jesus because they were preoccupied with their work. I know I find myself in this situation often. Especially when my workday is stressful, I lose focus of how Jesus can be present, and how I can recognize and acknowledge His presence.

message 3: by Rick (new)

Rick Mills (rickmills9) | 35 comments Mod
This calls to mind the old teaching technique of not revealing everything all at once. (Do you remember the teacher revealing how to solve math problems one step at a time by sliding a paper down on a transparency projector?) Perhaps his message would make more of an impression if the hearers were not distracted by his "celebrity" presence.