What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Keeper of the Night
This topic is about Keeper of the Night
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult novel set on island (Hawaii?). MC is girl about 12 adjusting to life after her mother’s suicide by overdosing. Near quote: “Only the empty pill bottle under the bed indicated that she meant to go.” [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christen (new) - added it

Christen Em | 2 comments Young adult novel set on an island (maybe Hawaii?). I read it around 2005 so it must have been published before then, I’m guessing sometime between 2000-2005. In this book, the main character is a girl of about 12 who’s adjusting to life after her mother’s suicide by overdosing in pills. I remember a line about this—“Only the empty pill bottle under the bed indicated that she meant to go.” (Probably not verbatim quote.) The protagonist calls her father Tata, and he is constantly sad about his wife’s death. The protagonist also has a grandmother who has a gift for accurately predicting the genders of pregnant women’s unborn babies (I think she may have been a midwife?), and proves this by correctly predicting a boy for the protagonist’s friend’s mother, though the amniocentesis had indicated it would be a girl and they’d decorated a pink room. There’s also a special needs boy on the island who makes lots of references the tv show Gunsmoke. And finally, a woman of about 19 in the book gives birth to a baby girl she names Carmella, and later the baby’s father proposes to her and she accepts. The protagonist makes fun of him because he goes down on both knees to propose instead of just one.

I loved this book in 7th grade when I read it but can’t for the life of me remember what it is! (And don’t worry, there’s no spoilers here because I don’t remember how it ends.)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 182 comments Keeper of the Night by Kimberly Willis Holt ?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
Christen, please add genre and plot details to your header. Many group members don't click on threads unless they can immediately tell from the header that they might know the book. So this could help your query get solved faster.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I added some plot details.

message 5: by Christen (new) - added it

Christen Em | 2 comments Keeper of the Night! That’s it!!!