Horror Writers Unite! discussion

How do you write a story that is scary?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I'm a new member here, and I love horror, but mainly the kind that low on gore and grossout factor, and high on scary.

I'm in awe of the writers that can really scare you. They make it seem effortless but I know it's not easy.

How do you write a scary story? Do you plot it out? Do you take things from your dream and nightmares?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) That makes sense. It becomes real to the reader because they can identify with the situation but maybe a little safer because it's fiction. Thanks for your thoughts, MR.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1 comments The scare element of horror is in creating an atmosphere of dread and tension that resonates with the reader and also uses universal fears, such as the dark, spiders, etc. The more real the characters are, the more realistic their reaction to the "evil", the more frightening a story can be because you relate to the characters on a deeper level.

As MR stated, using aspects of real life, that readers can relate to, also helps create that tension. In my novel, Institutional Memory, the story takes place in a corporate office building where something is feeding on the employees. Anyone who works in the corporate world can identify and that ups the ante.

Someone told me, after finishing that book, they can't work alone in the building. It creeps them out. My work is done.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Good advice, Gary. I'll have to check out your novel. As if work wasn't bad enough!

message 6: by Maha (new)

Maha  Mirza (moonlight_0416) | 5 comments i agree with Gary,if the plot is somewhat realistic, the characters close to reality then the story itself becomes scary. and i think that to make a story that is scary something supernatural or paranormal is not necessary.sometimes the tensions and the grave problems the characters are in are just enough to creep you out.....