Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

aquisitions

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koren (last edited Mar 10, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2938 comments Mod
Got Just Between Us by Mario Lopez from paperbackswap.com.

message 2: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2460 comments My Journey - Crystal Cathedral Edition by Robert Schuller. A church member has donated to the library so am going to read it first to make sure hes legit. I dont know...some of these american preachers are a bit OTT for me.

He wrote a whole pile of self-esteem positive thinking books. But am not sure how that ties in with the Bible. You are allowed to make your own religion in the US though.

An earthquake destroyed the landmark Christchurch cathedral and I heard that they considered building another one...out of cardboard. Wonder if the anglican church heard of this crystal cathedral..?

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Selina wrote: "An earthquake destroyed the landmark Christchurch cathedral and I heard that they considered building another one...out of cardboard. Wonder if the anglican church heard of this crystal cathedral..? "

Cardboard? For the proper crystal effect they should really use clingfilm. :)

message 4: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2460 comments Yes well I havent been to Christchurch since they had the earthquake but looks like the cardboard cathedral is being used for now. http://cardboardcathedral.org.nz

I have yet to visit this tree church in another town but it looks like it would hold up.
http://treechurch.co.nz

message 5: by Koren (new)

So...you know that feeling when your favorite author comes out with a new book and you just got your hands on it? Yes, that was me today. My favorite author, Rick Bragg, just came out with a new memoir The Best Cook in the World: Tales from My Momma's Table and I was happy to see it is almost 500 pages long. Now how to savor it slowly when all I really want to do is call in sick to work for the next week!!

Diane in Australia | 338 comments Since this thread is about aquisitions, I thought my question would fit in here. :) Where do you get your books? Library? Local store? Online? Details! Details! ... lol

message 7: by Koren (new)

Diane wrote: "Since this thread is about aquisitions, I thought my question would fit in here. :) Where do you get your books? Library? Local store? Online? Details! Details! ... lol"

Good question! For me all of the above. Amazon and Barnes and Nobles. Thank goodness for online stores as our closest brick and mortar store is 60 miles away. I get e-books online and from the library but prefer a real book. Most of the books I own are from garage sales and charity book sales.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1332 comments 99% of the books I read are from the library. The rest I have gotten as gifts, items off the discarded shelf at the library, the local independent bookstore and Amazon.

Diane in Australia | 338 comments I'm a semi-invalid, and I don't leave my home, except for medical stuff. So, I can't get to the library, and I don't use Kindle. I buy all my books online. I use several places, but mostly ebay.com.au. If you want to know the other online places I use, just let me know, and I'll list them. :) I'm in Australia, by the way.

message 10: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2460 comments Library, withdrawn trolley and op shops. There is one local bookstore still around.

I don't use Amazon as shipping is expensive. Book Depository shipping is free, but they once mucked up my order so wasn't keen from buying from them again. I prefer to buy or borrow a book I have seen and touched.

Just installed a pop up fridge book swap library in my neighbourhood. So yea sometimes I get books from the side of the road.

message 11: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "Library, withdrawn trolley and op shops. There is one local bookstore still around.

I don't use Amazon as shipping is expensive. Book Depository shipping is free, but they once mucked up my order ..."

Selina, we have a few up those 'pop-up' libraries here. Mostly for kids books I think.

Diane in Australia | 338 comments Selina wrote: Just installed a pop up fridge book swap library in my neighbourhood.

Very cool! G'donya, Selina! :)

message 13: by Fishface (last edited May 04, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments I use Amazon a lot, but I also swap books with people here and there is always http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I like bookstores, too, of course, and when I can get a safari group together we sometimes drive to Detroit to King's Used & Rare (700,000 used books in one building -- they can also find and mail stuff to you), or to Ann Arbor to shop at Literati, the West Side Book Shop, Nicola's, the Dawn Treader, Common Language, and of course Aunt Agatha's. I'm still sorry that the police closed down David's Books -- that was a great place before everything went sideways.

Oh, and since I'm a true crime junkie, I love http://www.cliffordelmerbooks.com/

Diane in Australia | 338 comments Fishface wrote: Oh, and since I'm a true crime junkie, I love http://www.cliffordelmerbooks.com

Thanks, Fishface, just bookmarked Clifford Delmer Books. :) :)

message 15: by Howard (new)

Howard | 12 comments Fishface wrote: "I use Amazon a lot, but I also swap books with people here and there is always http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I like bookstores, too, of course, and when I can get a safari group together ..."

cool share.............

message 16: by Selina (last edited May 05, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2460 comments Forgot to mention friends. Some people just give me books.

I am also a book lender/giver. Last night lent two books to a friend. Of course I read them first so that if she wants to keep it it's not loss to me. I tend to give books I'd read first and at least liked rather than just random books. Also a good challenge to match up the book with the potential reader.

You hope they would like it or at least give it a go, the worst thing is a book that is recommended and it turns out to be a dud, or one you forced to read at a book club or something. I never tell people to buy a book, as a librarian they can check it out from the library themselves and if it's not their thing they can always return it unread.

The thing with bookstores is you can't just buy a book, read it, then give it back to the store or ask for your money back if you don't like it.

message 17: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments True, but as you say you can always pass them on. Someone out there will like it, am I right?

message 18: by Selina (last edited May 10, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2460 comments Fishface wrote: "True, but as you say you can always pass them on. Someone out there will like it, am I right?"

Yup. Gift them to the op shop if you cant find anyone who will take them. I once tried giving books to a book exchange but they refused to take some of the books, and even secondhand bookstores dont want books they can't sell. They can be fussy. But Op shops will take any in good condition. If its got pages and is readable, they're ok.

message 19: by Lady ♥ Belleza (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 216 comments I buy books from Goodwill and some of the thrift stores have books.

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments I stumbled across Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" at Costco. It's the bio of a man brought to the U.S.A. on the final voyage of the very last slave ship that ever docked here. He was still alive and told his story to Zora Neale Hurston when she was studying African-American culture for her Anthro degree. Cannot wait to start it.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1332 comments Selina wrote: "I found this at opshop..

The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't"

Will love to hear your review of this!

message 24: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Hangman: Life and Crimes of Serial Killer & Police Officer Gerard Schaefer

This is not precisely a bio, but it's mostly about the life of a former Florida Sheriff's deputy who became a serial killer, and amazingly managed to become even more of a sphincter after he was imprisoned for his crimes. Remember that unbelievably cruel letter Ottis Toole wrote to John and Reve Walsh, gloating about how he killed their son? He dictated that to Schaefer. The book overall is a remarkable study of how the need to cause pain to other people can seep into every corner of a person's life, and finally become that person's life.