What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. pre-teen female english spy [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trishna (new)

Trishna Goswami | 2 comments HI I read this book last year as an audio book. I suspect this is a series but I cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. The story is about a young 11yo English girl who is incredibly smart especially in relation to science. She has a little lab in the recesses of the manor she lives in with her father and 2 older sisters. She is obsessed with finding out what happened to her mother who supposed got lost on a mountain. She finds a film of her mother in which she appears to be saying "pickled herring." Anyway, in the meantime her father receives a notice that he'll be losing their home as his wife who was landed gentry did not leave a will to ensure the family got the home and the family has several debts to resolve. The young girl ultimately figures out that that her mother and father are actually spies and that her mother died on some mission. Her body is located encased in ice and the child figures out that the will is on the mother's body and the house is saved. That's as much as I remember except that the child figures out that "pickled herring" is some codeword that the mom used with her handler. The child eventually meets the handler and gets inducted into the spy business. Does this sound familiar to anyone??

message 2: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1229 comments Just a guess, but sounds a bit like the Flavia de Luce series that starts with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

message 3: by Trishna (new)

Trishna Goswami | 2 comments Yes, that's it!!! Thank you!

message 4: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1229 comments Trishna wrote: "Yes, that's it!!! Thank you!"

You're welcome!