Christ is risen! Now what? discussion

Week 1 : April 23-29 > The Great Commission

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Apr 23, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Rick Mills (rickmills9) | 35 comments Mod
Reading: Matthew 28: 16-end. The disciples (11 now, for Judas is dead) had received a specific instruction from the risen Jesus in 28:10 to go to a certain place. They go, and again encounter Jesus, who gives them what is known as the Great Commission. They are not to be passive believers, but active missionaries to all nations. Consider how this speaks us to today. Are you passive or active? How are you a witness for Christ?

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Mills | 15 comments I am not as active a missionary as I should be. I tend to be more passive-it's too easy to blame my lack of activity on a lack of time (due to my employment and home responsibilities). Thankfully, I am retiring soon, and will have much more time! In the meantime, I need to remember that I can be a missionary in any circumstance-even to those I interact with at work (patients and their families, as well as co-workers). One ministry I am active with is the Community Closet in Berwick, which provides clothing free of charge to anyone in need. This is a way in which I witness for Christ: "For I was naked and you clothed me...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me" (Matthew 25:36,40).

message 3: by Lorie (new)

Lorie Tweedy | 19 comments I can relate some to Kathy's comments. However, I am learning that there are many ways to serve God and often it is right where you are and what you are doing. God does lead us to it and I think many times we neglect to recognize it. I head up fellowship kitchen at the church the fifth Tuesday of the months that have one (used to do the first Tuesday). Been doing this a long time. Feeding the need in God's name. The last few Sundays I have missed church due to having to provide care in the morning for my elderly parents. I started sharing a daily devotional with my mom (my dad too if he joins us) a while back and my mom now asks for it whenever I am there. Many opportunities come up during my work day at Rochester Child Care. I have my daily devotional sent to my email at work. It is amazing how many days I check it and it speaks to what I need at that moment.

message 4: by Rick (last edited Apr 25, 2018 03:29PM) (new)

Rick Mills (rickmills9) | 35 comments Mod
Everyone can be a missionary, no matter where they are. We each are witnesses to people we encounter every day. When a "traditional" missionary packs up and moves to a foreign land, that person can still only witness to those people they meet every day. They are just in a different location.