YAholics Anonymous! discussion

Buddy Reads > The Maze Runner - July 24th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 3369 comments Mod
Katie and I will be starting this one tomorrow, July 24th. Whoever wants to read along or just talk about the book is welcome to do so. =)

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie I just finished chapter two. It's really interesting because I actually went into this knowing nothing, so I'm as confused as Thomas. Part of me wants to read the summary, but I think I'll let myself be surprised instead!

message 3: by Brittany (last edited Jul 24, 2014 05:27PM) (new)

Yeah, i kinda hate when I'm just thrown into a world, with little to no bearing on what's going on. But I'll remain patient and keep reading, lol. Where in the book do you plan on getting tonight?

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm hoping to read some more now, maybe 5-10 more chapters, if they stay as short as the first few are. I can always read more or less if you'd. Like, though :)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie As this one goes on I keep getting more frustrated... I hope there are answers soon. I think I have a problem with the writing style but I can't figure out what it is!

message 6: by Brittany (new)

I'm on chapter 12 now. Things get a little clearer but I still have plenty of questions.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie I'll try and catch up to that tonight, but it's late so I might have to save some of it until morning. How are you liking it so far?

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Despite all the aggravating questions, I'm liking it pretty well. I'm eager to see what the maze is all about though, and how it is on the inside.

And don't worry if you can't catch up tonight. I work tomorrow, so I prolly won't have that much reading time. So we'll prolly catch up to each other, lol.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Hmm I'm not to the maze part yet, but I was wondering what a maze had to do with the book!

And that sounds good. I'll have plenty of reading time tomorrow, I hope, but haven't had enough at all today.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie I just finished chapter five... (view spoiler)

message 11: by Brittany (new)

I know! I hate feeling out of the loop!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie Ugh I just finished chapter eight. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm In the middle of chapter sixteen now. I plan to stop at twenty today, since you were at twelve with not much reading time... Hopefully that way we keep at around the same pace :)

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie Got caught up and read a few chapters more, to chapter twenty-eight. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Uh-oh! I'll have to catch up! I'm only on 17 right now. (I'm on my phone during break at work right now, lol.) I can't believe (view spoiler)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie Brittany wrote: "Uh-oh! I'll have to catch up! I'm only on 17 right now. (I'm on my phone during break at work right now, lol.) I can't believe [spoilers removed]"

I'm sorry! I couldn't help but keep going; it gets so fast-paced.

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Brittany (last edited Jul 25, 2014 05:29PM) (new)

Yeah, I thought he'd, like, run in and help haul Alby so that they all could make it out, but... I guess not, lol.

And, lol! That's okay. I just got off work, so after a quick dinner I'm going to sit down and hopefully make it to chapter 28.

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie Brittany wrote: "Yeah, I thought he'd, like, run in and help haul Alby so that they all could make it out, but... I guess not, lol.

And, lol! That's okay. I just got off work, so after a quick dinner I'm going to ..."

Me too! I was shocked that didn't work. He should have run out sooner!

And alright :) It's hard not to read more tonight lol, but I'll wait for you to catch up.

message 19: by Brittany (new)

Made it to chapter 28! I wonder what Gally knows that's so incriminating toward Thomas. And what does the girl have to do with everything? Sooo many questions!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie I want to know about the girl too; she needs to wake up already! Also I want to know what it means by "things are going to change" - a few characters have said it now. I wish we knew more from Thomas's past.

message 21: by Brittany (new)

Maybe we'll find out soon, at least I hope we do. Perhaps Gally isn't as crazy as he seems...

message 22: by Brittany (last edited Jul 25, 2014 07:42PM) (new)

And I just wanted to let you know, you're an awesome Buddy Read friend. It's nice to have someone to talk about the book with. And, in this case, share in the frustration of not knowing anything! XD

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie I've been wondering about that. I mean, Gally knows something about Thomas that not even he knows, so...

And thank you! You are as well :) We'll have to try some more in the future!

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie How far do you think you'll be reading today? :)

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Just finished 28. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie Finished 31 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie Them* not me lol

message 28: by Brittany (new)

I made it to chapter 38, but I have to leave for work now, so I prolly won't be able to read much more. Maybe a couple chapters on my dinner break, but that's it.

I'm eager to find out (view spoiler)

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm having a pretty busy day as well, so I'll catch up later tonight :)

message 30: by Brittany (new)

I managed to read a little while at work, so I'm at Chapter 41. I work tomorrow, too, but I'll be done with work by 6:30, so I should have plenty time to read. :)

I can't believe (view spoiler)

This movie is going to look so awesome. I can't wait to see how they make the Grievers look.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm a bit behind still, but I have lots of reading time today too, so I should catch up pretty easy.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm on chapter 37. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie Brittany wrote: "I managed to read a little while at work, so I'm at Chapter 41. I work tomorrow, too, but I'll be done with work by 6:30, so I should have plenty time to read. :)

I can't believe [spoilers remove..."

I'm at 41 too now... Seems like Gally knows quite a bit. Sad he never shared it with anyone.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie Oops I actually am at 42... Don't read spoiler until you finish 41, lol!

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Chapter 52... (view spoiler)

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm on chapter 59; I might end up finishing tonight. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Bet* not get.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Just finished 61. I read a spoiler by mistake yesterday, so I knew (view spoiler)

message 39: by Brittany (new)

Uh-oh. I'm only on 46. I'll try to read a little bit more tonight, but I don't think I'll finish it tonight...

I, too, was wondering how the Grievers stayed within the Maze if they could climb walls. The only thing I reason is that they can't climb ALL the way up.

And it was really smart of Newt and the others to relocate the maps to a safer place. Good thing they weren't destroyed.

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie Maybe that's it, but I wish it were explained better. I mean, they were scared blocking the hole wouldn't help because they'd just climb, so it seems silly the doors work. Unless the grievers are programmed not to climb those walls into the glade?

And it was! I was so relieved about the maps.

I'm really interested to see the way they portray all this during the movie.

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie I finished! (view spoiler)

message 42: by Brittany (new)

I finally finished it this morning! (I had work and then a really bad headache. :( ) I'm interested in the epilogue, too. I personally think it was the woman whom they talked to on the bus. I'm also interested in what she meant about "Group B." Does that mean they sent another group of kids into the Maze again after the first group escaped? Also, poor a Chuck. :(

Do you think you'll read The Scorch Trails?

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie I didn't think of Group B as being sent in after, actually! I had thought Group A and B were sent in at the same time and Group B just hadn't returned yet. (Like there were two different mazes.) Kind of makes it worse/more harsh to think of it your way!

I'll definitely be reading The Scorch Trials. I have like 5-6 books lined up I think, that I have to read first for review/buddy reading, but I wish I could read it sooner. Looks like mid-August is the earliest I can get to it :(

Will you be continuing the series?

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie Also, I think it's the woman from the bus as well - but I really don't want it to be! She seemed so nice!

message 45: by Brittany (new)

That's definitely a possibility; I hadn't thought of it that way. Kinda makes me wonder how Group B handled the Maze, as the woman in the epilogue said that they did very well.

I really want to read the sequel, too, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I have to finish a book I'm reading right now so that I can review it later. Then I have a Buddy Read with you at the first of August, then another one in the middle of August for Perfect Ruin. Maybe we can do another Buddy Read for The Scorch Trials around the 20th of next month.

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie The 20th sounds perfect! I'm reading an ARC right now, followed by another right after, then I need to read another one I'm in the middle of, along with our buddy read and another on the 5th!

On one hand I'm excited (all the books!) but I'm also overwhelmed lol!

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Awesome! That way, we should be able to finish before my college starts up. Ugh. I don't even want to think about school starting up again. >.<

And having too many books is always better than having no books at all. ;)

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie Definitely true! Scheduling my reading is new to me because of my blog and review copies, so I'm still getting used to it though :)

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie Have you watched the trailer for this one? I just did and I'm not sure what to think. Trailers are not my favorites anyway, but I did think it was okay. Kind of sad I didn't spot any Grievers though, because I'm so interested in how they will show them.

message 50: by Brittany (new)

I actually really liked the trailer. We didn't get a big glimpse of the Grievers, but the one I saw had bits and pieces of them. I guess they're wanting to keep how they fully look secret, to spur interest. At any rate, it looks like it's going to stick pretty close to the book. Unlike other movies. (I'm looking at you, The Giver. >.>)

Also, James Dashner has a cameo in it. =)

« previous 1