The Road The Road discussion

The Road as a film

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Minnie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgsz...
Watch the trailer and then decide, perhaps prematurely (after all the trailer isn't the whole movie) does this look like a good rendition of the book?

Georg well, now it can safely be told that the movie managed to depict the book quite well. at least for me.

Minnie Georg wrote: "well, now it can safely be told that the movie managed to depict the book quite well. at least for me."
I have to agree with you. The book is generally better for me but in the case of The Road the text was well translated onto the screen.

Will IV It didn't grip me nearly as well as the book. I thought it was a valiant effort, but ultimately fell well short.

Minnie Will wrote: "It didn't grip me nearly as well as the book. I thought it was a valiant effort, but ultimately fell well short."

Will, I always measure my response to a movied book by what was done to "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". If I'm not as extremely angry as I was after that movie, I feel some justice was done to the present book in a movie. The Road as well as No country for old men were I believe well adapted but some intensity was sacrificed. I was just so pleased in both cases that the book had not been butchered!

Will IV The lack of ash bothered me. The book makes it clear the entire region was completely covered in it like snow.

Richard the movie is a good rendition of the film. Cormac McCarthy had script approval and was the first viewer of the final film. he gave it his acceptance

message 8: by Minnie (last edited Apr 22, 2012 11:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Minnie Will, Once I've read a book I form a very clear vision as to how the people look, how they act as well as their surroundings so I can understand that the lack of ash bothered you. I didn't bother me in the film but I think your observation is valid.

Colette Ni I suffered with the book because it was so real, no fluff, no frills, just what sheer and utter bleakness should be in that kind of world and a good man doing his best with failing health to bring his son to hope.

I loved the film, I thought it was a great production. As for the ash...I thought all that darkness covered that really well. And, as a female viewer, I'll watch the marvellous Viggo Mortensen anytime.

message 10: by Georg (last edited Apr 23, 2012 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Georg possible SPOILERS ahead.

well, i wouldn't say there were blatant changes (i know you didn't say there were such changes, Michael) but rather some concessions to the moviegoers. i still have to agree that almost none of the changes have appeared to be neccessary though acomplishing the masses of ashes must have been problematic.
the bathroom scene (cannbal house) of the movie was only there to brutalize the situation which makes me think of the director smashing the overly naive viewer's face into the screen, screaming: 'watch closely, this is a baaaad situaton!'