General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship
The Proper Care & Maint. of F. > Early Chapters 1-6 discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4400 comments Mod
The novel opens in the belly of a skydiving plane where Kate Jansen is supposed to jump out of.

How did you like this opening?

We’ve met the major players in our novel tell us what you think of each of them
Kate
Sarah
Jo

Jo inherits the most unlikely of gifts from Rachel, her daughter Gracie
Where you surprised that Rachel’s family gave up Gracie so quickly?

After Jo’s trip to the hospital she decides to handle motherhood as all other things in her life with organization and planning and delegation
How well do you think that’s going to work out?

The novel is based on deathbed requests made by the missing friend Rachel and in this first part we read the one to Kate
Seeing how Paul reacted to Kate’s solo jump and Kate’s reaction to his reaction, do you think that Rachel knew what she was doing?

We end with Kate and Sarah arriving in India, the introduction of Sam, Kate’s obvious reaction to so many immunizations at once and finally ending with Coin and Sarah meeting and “reconnecting”

Tell us how you like the novel so far.

Ang from OZ | 1668 comments I like all the characters right from the start. I think I am most intrigued with how Jo will handle a 7 year old in the her busy life. I think we will see a transformation of Jo's life. And I am sure she'll be up for the challenge. I was very surprised that Rachel's family gave up Gracie. I'm not sure if the Grandparents are fully "in the know" of what is going on though... Just a sneaky suspicion I have.

I don't think that Kate has fully thought the trip to India through. And I think there will be repercussion for that. I understand her thoughts of getting away and trying to put the spark back into her life, and perhaps her marriage. Not sure its going to work out how she planned.

And Sarah... hmmm I think Sara has made a mistake putting DR Colin up on that pedestal! I think there is more to him than meets the eye.

And Sam, well he's just a hoot isn't he!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What a surprise for Jo to suddenly find out she has a seven-year-old to raise! She definitely has a lot to learn, but I think she'll make it somehow.

I'm not sure at this point how Kate is going to end up. After years of being a housewife, jumping from the plane probably did fulfill something she had been lacking. She could have chosen a better way to tell her husband and it probably would have went over better. But India???? I agree with Ang in that she didn't think it through. Her husband does need to learn to handle things at home on his own, but having his wife take off to India is probably not the best way for him to learn.

Sarah has dreamed of Colin for a lot of years. We can hope for a happily-ever-after, but I need to keep reading and discover what really is going on with him!

I agree with you both about Sam. At first, I wondered if I would really like him, but he is really growing on me more and more!

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Hi guys, I loved, loved this book. I was also a part of the dirt read . We Nick named Colin Dr. McDreamy. And Sam in my opinion is the real thing.
Enjoy the discussion. And the book.

Ang from OZ | 1668 comments Ooo I'm almost at the end, lots of twist and turns!!

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments lol.

I'm glad you're all enjoying this read it was my first experience with Lisa and make me an instant fan!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Dont forget to slow down on the last page. Cant wait till you guys are done then we can go at it."

I am finished now. I think maybe everyone else is done?

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Susan wrote: "Dont forget to slow down on the last page. Cant wait till you guys are done then we can go at it."

I am finished now. I think maybe everyone else is done?"

got it here come the questions!