The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

Will The Giver be a good movie?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly Brigid ♡ (last edited Jul 23, 2014 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly Brigid ♡ Personally I found the book to be a little boring. I loved the concept of it, but the plot fell a little flat and the ending couldn't redeem it. However, I recently came across the new Giver trailer and I think it looks pretty good. It looks like it'll be a "good" movie to me. Not great, but pretty decent. Thoughts?

New Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...

Caitlin I enjoyed the book and after watching the trailer I think that it is going to be another movie where the name and plot is there but it will be so different you will barely be able to tell that it originated from a book.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Caitlin wrote: "I enjoyed the book and after watching the trailer I think that it is going to be another movie where the name and plot is there but it will be so different you will barely be able to tell that it o..."

I know it's going to be different from the book, but that doesn't mean it won't be a decent movie.

Tatyana Yes! but Jonas will be older, with a girlfriend, and eventually they get captured.

Elizabeth I watched it and thought, ' who is that?' it took me a while to realize that this was supposed to be Jonas. This looks like a really loose interpretation of what was supposed to be The Giver. I think it looks like it will be a good movie over all but, it will be a very bad interpretation of the book.

Caitlin I agree with the message above (message 5) that overall it will be a good movie overall but not very good when it comes to interpreting the book. However, I am a very harsh book-to-movie critic but not a very harsh book critic so that might play a role in my opinion.

message 7: by Lev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lev I think it will be a good movie hopefully since I didn't really enjoy the book that much. But with Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges how can it be bad? Also Cameron Monagham from Shameless which is my favorite tv show plays Asher so I'm super excited for his second big role for a film! Hopefully this gets better achieved then in Vampire Academy which was his first big role and well it did terrible.

Kelly Brigid ♡ I agree with a lot of you; I think it'll be a good movie, but not a very good interpretation of the book ;)

Maire I think It'll be a good movie for those who haven't read the book, but I think anyone who has will be upset. Normally when movies are made from books, they show none of the differences from the book in the trailer. Here we see that Jonas is much older than 12, he kisses Fiona, who is nothing more than a friend to him, he shares his theories about the morning injections--which should be the morning PILLs--with Fiona, and Jonas is captured during his escape. I think this may be too much of a change to the story. That said, I do appreciate that part of it (hopefully) is in black and white as Jonas sees it, and Taylor Swift is in it (LOVE HER!!!) so I don't think it will be terrible.

Cierra and Alexa Petersen Lois Lowry said " If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy the movie"

Caitlin I still haven't seen it.

message 12: by Erik (new) - rated it 1 star

Erik It will not from the trailer its obvious they have taken the book and blown it up into something people want to watch rather than be intellectual and read. Also explosions. WHY?!