The Imperfectionists The Imperfectionists discussion

Newspaper industry

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen thought the writing was quite good. The author was adept at stepping into the middle of these people's lives and giving you a very clear idea of their personalities and where they were in life. However, given my predilection for happy stories, this fell way short. Seemed like every character had pretty much made a mess of some aspect of their life and I can't really think of one character that I liked. Why the heck did that one woman have an affair? She couldn't handle how happy her life was? What a schmuck she was. And that editor was a major bitch and what the heck was she doing to that poor guy who still loved her? What a tease. Ironically given that the book was about the communication industry, there was a serious lack of communication between most of these characters, their cohorts and their loved ones. The ending felt like someone let the air out of a tire. Not a book I would recommend.

atwiglikeme I agree with you - especially the part: "Ironically given that the book was about the communication industry, there was a serious lack of communication between most of these characters, their cohorts and their loved ones." -> But maybe this is typical for all of us; we "know" how to solve other people's problems but we struggle with our own. All in all I did not enjoy the book all that much and could not relate to any of the characters.

David Streever Maureen wrote: "thought the writing was quite good. The author was adept at stepping into the middle of these people's lives and giving you a very clear idea of their personalities and where they were in life. H..."

Wait, what?

1. Why did she have an affair
Well, the author makes that pretty clear by putting you in her POV for half that chapter! She's lonely, and has completely abandoned her career, her career path, and her career trajectory, all to be with a guy who is kind of a chump. He's a nice guy, sure, but he's no where near as good looking, interesting, or social as she is. She lives in a country where she has no friends, no family, and is ashamed of her life of dependence.

That's why there were all those pages about how she feels; to make it clear that it isn't a case of her being lousy & throwing away something great. She's isolated, lonely, and not having any of her needs met by her current life.

2. The editor was not a 'major bitch'. She's a hard-working woman in a male-dominated field, who has climbed her way up to the top. She isn't a 'tease' either. She clearly *wants* to have sex with her old lover, but he keeps putting her off both in emotionally hurting her and physically rejecting her, and her husband has been having an affair. Remember? Her life is pretty tough. She's clearly a complicated, conflicted character.

I'm not sure how people can read books & skip having empathy for the characters. What's the point?