What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Crucible of Time
This topic is about The Crucible of Time
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Science fiction - world being bombarded by comets [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments I remember reading a science fiction book many years ago about a society on an alien planet where the planet was suffering from meteor and cometary bombardment. The race were non-human and had fluid filled bladders instead of bones. I think the book covered a period of hundreds of years, describing how the meteor strikes became worse and worse until the race decide to abandon their world altogether. None of my Google searches have been successful. Does this ring any bells?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2038 comments Crucible of Time by John Brunner perhaps The Crucible of Time

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Federation World? One section of this book has something somewhat vaguely similar.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2038 comments From a review of "Crucible of Time"

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/07/alie...

"There are no humans in The Crucible of Time. Not only that, but the aliens from whose point of view the story is presented are really alien aliens. They’re evolved from something kind of like jellyfish, they have a mantle and pith inside, they maintain pressure in their tubules, they have no rigid bones."

"The book is about a planet that is passing through a very active section of the galaxy that’s causing ice-ages and all kinds of planetary convulsions—the book is really about how the concept of science stays alive in culture despite natural disasters over a very long time. "

message 5: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments Crucible of time sounds like a good fit. Thanks.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2038 comments Glad to help

message 7: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments It is now safely loaded on my Kindle.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
So are you going to call this solved David? Or do you want to wait until you read it?

message 9: by David (new)

David Greensmith | 11 comments Sorry for the late response. Please mark as solved. It was the book I remembered. Hope I can do the same for someone else on the group.