Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Insurgent discussion

[SPOILER] Is Lynn actually lesbian?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christie (last edited Jul 23, 2014 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christie When Lynn died, I remember she told Uriah that she loved his girlfriend. His response was something like "We all loved her" and Lynn said something like "No, not like that" <- I do not know the dialogues by heart, but the idea is the same. So what should I think about that?

Tatyana Wow....hm, i dont know....

Shane Yeah i thought so. I am also wondering why she said those lines. But then came to me.. ooooh.. :O
She's so pretty though.

Saskya She obviously is. She expressly said she loved her but not as a friend. Plus, if you read Allegiant *SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS* if you didn't, one of the character is gay. So the homosexuality topic is definitely present in the divergent series.

Allison Shane wrote: "Yeah i thought so. I am also wondering why she said those lines. But then came to me.. ooooh.. :O
She's so pretty though."

What exactly does being pretty have to do with whether or not she is a lesbian?

message 6: by . (new) - rated it 5 stars

. Well, she was definitely in love with Marlene, but whether she was also attracted to males we don't know. "not straight" can mean a lot of things, and a girl liking a certain girl doesn't always mean that she only likes girls. Know what I mean?

message 7: by C (new) - rated it 5 stars

C it was implied that Lynn was in love with marlene, in the " I want to live with you forever" meaning. If you recall, when Uriah and Marlene are in the cafeteria, they were hiding their affection by holding hands under the table, and Lynn got real angry and stormed out? That's typical jealous behavior. Also, when marlene died, Lynn kind of is a ghost for a while. She was a lesbian. No doubts about it.

Saskya Colleen wrote: "it was implied that Lynn was in love with marlene, in the " I want to live with you forever" meaning. If you recall, when Uriah and Marlene are in the cafeteria, they were hiding their affection b..."

"I want to live with you" when did she say that ?!

message 9: by C (new) - rated it 5 stars

C She didnt. I said the in the "i want to live with you forever" meaning. Like... It was implied that she was a lesbian, who loved marlene as more than a friend, as if she wanted to live with her til end of time... Instead of, she's just a friend.

message 10: by Lev (new) - added it

Lev Yep Lynn my favorite character in the Divergent trilogy is a lesbian! There is nothing wrong with this and I'm really happy that Ms. Roth decided to make homosexuality a reoccuring plot in this series. It started with Lynn loving Marlene and is also showed by someone in Alliegent being gay. I find Lynn's story so sad because she had to withstand Marlene and Uriah being so lovey dovey together in front of her which is a very hard thing to see. And then she had to grief for Marlene where as no one actually knew how hard it was for her since she also loved her.

Anika To me that meant that she was lesbian. I talk about with a friend and she thinks so too. So yeah, she's still cool.

Annemarie Donahue That's a really great catch that I just read right over. Thank you for pointing it out.

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill does all this matter? The book was bland and the story confusing and rambling with not much more than constant gratuitous violence. Moreover, when we quit asking "was she gay?" "was he gay?" will homosexuality be truly accepted in society.

Annemarie Donahue Jill wrote: "does all this matter? The book was bland and the story confusing and rambling with not much more than constant gratuitous violence. Moreover, when we quit asking "was she gay?" "was he gay?" will h..."

I don't think there's anything inherently homophobic in asking if a character is homosexual. It's an aspect of a character that the author may (or may not) have included but was vague about. People can be curious about it as it's a book they liked.

message 15: by . (new) - rated it 5 stars

. Jill wrote: "does all this matter? The book was bland and the story confusing and rambling with not much more than constant gratuitous violence. Moreover, when we quit asking "was she gay?" "was he gay?" will h..."

Actually, in a time where many people are still prejudiced, talking about these things is important and so is representation (in books, films, etc). So, in fact, no, just quitting these kinds of discussions isn't what's going to help.

Mariah That's how I interpreted this too. I think she definitely was a lesbian but there's nothing wrong with that! It's awesome that Roth would create a dynamic character.

Juliet When I reread Insurgent, I saw signs of jealousy from Lynn. Whenever she saw Uriah and Marlene together she got really mad or just left.
I think it's great that books are finally getting homosexual couples and not just straight couples. I love equality! :D

Mariah Juliet wrote: "When I reread Insurgent, I saw signs of jealousy from Lynn. Whenever she saw Uriah and Marlene together she got really mad or just left.
I think it's great that books are finally getting homosexua..."

me too! I think it's great that we are seeing characters who aren't always the same. Plus introducing homosexuality in novels like this allows us to introduce the concept that yes, homosexuality is normal. There is nothing wrong with being homosexuality just like there is nothing wrong with being heterosexual.

message 20: by C (new) - rated it 5 stars

C You can, she's on twitter and will occasionally answer questions