This topic is about The Scarlet Pimpernel
Archives > August BB: The Scarlet Pimpernel

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (last edited Jul 23, 2014 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy

Chosen by Anastasia & Londa

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments I have my copy ready. How do you want to discuss? In parts or as a whole?

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Hmmm. Whole, I guess. We can post our observations as we go along too.

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Ok. I'll probably start on this next week.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I feel like I must've read it before but I don't remember when. It's exciting though!

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Great! I'm looking forward to starting it. You said you watched the movie. Maybe the movie followed the book very closely.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Maybe. Or else I read a book with a similar plot.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Have you started it Londa?

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Not yet. This week looks hopeful :0)

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments This was an easy read for me, I really enjoyed it. Percy was a fun character for me and I found myself on the edge of my seat.

That being said I was really disappointed with how Orczy fell into using negative Jewish stereotypes. I understand it was culturally acceptable back then but it still ticked me off.

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Finally getting to this one. Through chapter 7 and trying to get used to the language. Loved the two tricks they have already used. The plague one was especially funny.

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Finished and I agree it was a fun little book. I will try and find the movie version.

The 'dirty Jew' characterizations did bother me quite a bit. I have found though, that when I read classic books, I have to put up with some of their ignorant beliefs. I realized a long time ago, that if I decided to only read non-racist classics, the list would be very very short. LOL

A few things... Percy was always described as a 'fop' but he was actually very witty in all of the scenes he was in. I guess she meant he was just not at all serious, but not dumb.

Another thing....Marguerite was supposed to be the most clever person in Europe, but she did not recognize her own husband when he was right in front of her. Must have been some kind of costume. It reminds me of how Lois Lane supposedly never recognized Clark Kent. The glasses and mild demeanor threw her off...*rolleyes*

Oh and I didn't understand why she kept saying that she had been tricked into giving information on the Marquis de St. Cyr. She hated him anyway; no one MADE her say those things that sent him to the guillotine. Did they?

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I agree, I have to just mentally say, "You ignorant person" and continue reading and just be glad society is a bit more enlightened now.
He was witty but he also seemed a bit dense. I think the "it went over his head" stuff was what she meant by fop.

The Scarlet Pimpernel was excellent at disguises. If even his wife couldn't see through it, he was pretty good. xD

Well, in the movie I watched (with Jane Seymour and Gandalf) the thing with the Marquis de St. Cyr was her receiving an incriminating letter and before she could burn it Chauvelin takes it from her and reads it. Then she's in a difficult position because he, knowing she would've burnt it, says aloud that she is a wonderful daughter of the revolution (thus giving her no chance to protest and cementing in the minds of everyone nearby that she has reported the Marquis de St. Cyr).
I think that's how it went in the movie. So I guess I assumed while reading the book that something similar had happened?

message 14: by Londa (last edited Sep 05, 2014 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments In the book she repeated incriminating rumors about him to the wrong people.

Marguerite, impulsive, thoughtless, not calculating the purport of her words, still smarting under the terrible insult her brother had suffered at the Marquis' hands, happened to hear—amongst her own coterie—that the St. Cyrs were in treasonable correspondence with Austria, hoping to obtain the Emperor's support to quell the growing revolution in their own country.
In those days one denunciation was sufficient: Marguerite's few thoughtless words anent the Marquis de St. Cyr bore fruit within twenty-four hours. He was arrested. His papers were searched: letters from the Austrian Emperor, promising to send troops against the Paris populace, were found in his desk. He was arraigned for treason against the nation, and sent to the guillotine, whilst his family, his wife and his sons, shared in this awful fate.
Marguerite, horrified at the terrible consequences of her own thoughtlessness, was powerless to save the Marquis: his own coterie, the leaders of the revolutionary movement, all proclaimed her as a heroine

The version in the movie you mentioned makes more sense as a true mistake/trick. Maybe that's why they changed it.

Marguerite would have been a great role for Jane Seymour. I will look for that version.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments Okay, maybe she didn't realize those people wanted to kill him or something. Otherwise she's a bit dense.

It's really good ;)