Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Irish Quarterly Movie Nomin... > Aug-Oct Quarterly Movie Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the nominations thread for August-October quarterly movie.

As always there is only one nomination per member and this thread will close on midnight of July 24, after which the poll will be assembled.

I look forward to your nominations.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Haven't a clue what to nominate so i'll see if anyone else has a bright idea :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

If no-one nominates a bloody film after all the reminders I've received I'll throw a fit.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul I was going to nominate Calvary just to annoy you but its not on DVD yet. Damn.

message 5: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn For the sake of your blood pressure Declan I'll nominate The Matchmaker. It's really funny, like seriously but without making the Irish look like a bunch of eejits :-)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

@Anthony. It's one nomination per member, but something tells me you'll be our go-to guy when it comes to future movies.

The following flims have also been previous selected:

Once
Intermission
Inside I'm Dancing
Waking Ned
In Bruges

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments I really enjoy Hear My Song, for the music as much as the acting.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a good nomination, Clare. It is a bit diddly-Irish, but it is quite charming.

@Theresa. I'm not sure how Sound of Music is Irish.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, and our member, Gerry, just shared this database of Irish movies with me, which might help people brainstorm.

http://www.ifi.ie/ifiifilmdirectory

message 10: by Serf (new)

Serf How about picking your favourite from those films Anthony?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I'd like to know which you'd be interested in, Anthony?

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul I'll pick a film I watched a few years back called Kisses .Its a bit sentimental but it shows a lot of the city of Dublin really well. Its about two kids from Finglas, Emmas old stomping ground I think, they rub away and spend the night walking around the city . http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/tit...

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Paul That sounds interesting, and it would be something different from the more well known Irish films.

And yes I did use to live in Finglas till I was 11, not that you would know it with my accent, and my grandad still lives there.

I think I'll hold off nominating this quarter. There are already some interesting nominations and Anthony clearly has us covered. :-)

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul There just wasnt that many films that Anthony didn't name. I enjoyed the film.anyway. And it is a bit different to the usual Irish fare.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) On a related Irish film note, there is an open air screening of The Commitments in Smithfield. It's being run by the Dublin International Film Festival.

message 16: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

But my fav. would be a lovely, gentle little film -

Into the West

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Isabella Into the West is a lovely film. I love when they put the horse in the lift to bring him up to the flat.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Which one are you picking to nominate Isabella

message 19: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments ( The Stag was good if you all want to check it out ).
Re: my nomination out of the 3 films i was thinking i'm going to go with Gangs of New York i may get the other ones still for my flight :P

message 20: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments I don't know!

I'm thinking of The Magdalene Sisters now, and Song for a Raggy Boy.

Killing Bono?

I suppose I should go for one I haven't seen before, which is The Wind that Shakes the Barley. Or Angela's Ashes.

Not Omagh - that was gut-wrenching.

I've got until tomorrow!

message 21: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments thanks for reminding me about Into the West haven't seen that in years :)

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul Would you call Gangs of New York an Irish film. Di Caprios gang are Irish but for me the film is firmly about American identity. Intetesting choice all the same.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Nominate Angela's Ashes and we might have a mildly annoyed Seraphina ;-)

message 24: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments The Guard?

message 25: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Paul wrote: "Would you call Gangs of New York an Irish film. Di Caprios gang are Irish but for me the film is firmly about American identity. Intetesting choice all the same."

the genre is Irish-American epic historical drama film
and i think the rule is 'Nominations are open to movies set in Ireland, that have Irish lead characters or involve issues directly concerning Irish people/people of Irish lineage.'

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Not only annoying Seraphina but me too. I don't want to watch such a depressing movie in the summer. Has anyone seen Evelyn with Pierce Brosnan? I have not and was wondering. I think the Commitments would be a lovely summer choice.

message 27: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Angela's Ashes isn't depressing IMO , Evelyn is pretty good

message 28: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments Oh, Susan - I've got the dvd of Evelyn, and haven't seen it yet, so you might have made up my mind for me.

message 29: by Serf (new)

Serf Lol and it's nominated in the quarterly read Paul lol. I won't nominate this time, there are alot of good films there. I love song for a Raggy boy but it's pretty depressing too

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul I know With Gangs of New York Gavin but its not the first thing to jump to my mind about it being an Irish film. Thats why I think its an interesting choice. I didnt think it quite lived up to its potential though.
Angela's Ashes is definitely depressing though. I'll disagree with you on that one.

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul Declans going to have fun picking the actual nominations out of this list. I've list track. Was Song for a Raggy Boy nominated or just mentioned .
There's a good diverse list anyway.Gangs of New York is epic in scale with an great cast but Into the West is such a sweet and fun movie.

message 32: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Paul wrote: "I know With Gangs of New York Gavin but its not the first thing to jump to my mind about it being an Irish film. Thats why I think its an interesting choice. I didnt think it quite lived up to its ..."
ah okey and thanks my film choices started at about 10 and slowly moved down.
weirdly i have seen it several time yes it has some sad moments but i don't class it as a depressing film

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul Susan, Evelyn is very interesting. Heart breaking in parts. I watched it with a friend of mine who was the subject of the second Irish case where the Father got custody over the mother.She had an obvious interest in the film.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul @Gavin It is hard to get down to just one choice for any of the nominations. At least your thinking outside the box.

message 35: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments Cherrybomb
Philomena
Once
Veronica Guerin
Cowboys and Angels
Albert Nobbs

message 36: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Paul wrote: "@Gavin It is hard to get down to just one choice for any of the nominations. At least your thinking outside the box."

indeed :) i remember gangs of new york being on one new years eve and haven't seen it since lol

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Paul, I just went on Netflix to look up Into the West. Is it a cartoon?

message 38: by Paul (new)

Paul I watched it in the cinema so its been a while.
Isabella, we watched Philomena a while back. Its actually quite funny and really well acted

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul Sudan, its definitely not a cartoon. Gabriel Byrne is in it and its about Travellers (Gypsys)

message 40: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments It's not susan

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul I meant Susan, not Sudan. Oops

message 42: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Brendan Gleeson is also in it :)

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I loved Philomena. I could watch Dame Judi Dench read a phone book. It looked like a cartoon but a movie about travellers would be interesting. I checked on Netflix to see if it was available and it is.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Furey (SarahFurey) | 1 comments anthony totally agree with your choices but what about The wind that shakes the barley, Michael Collins. The butcher boy and Darby O' Gill(total classic)! Cant think of any more, oh no wait The Van and War of the Buttons

message 45: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments I'm tempted to make comments about Into the West now, but will leave it in case it's selected.

It's one of my favourite ever movies.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments And Declan was worried that nobody would nominate a movie. Man of little faith.

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul Cant go wrong with Brendan Gleeson Gavin

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul So whats actually nominated so far. Its gotten lost with all the lists.

message 49: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments The Matchmaker , Hear My Song , Kisses ,The Commitments , Gangs of New York , and i think Into the West.

And nope you can't

message 50: by Paul (new)

Paul Cheers Gavin. Thats a good set of nominations so far.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.