The Reading Challenge Group discussion

A Quest for Answers > Question 28 - Books written the year you were born

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Goodreads has a lot of "Best Books of [year]" lists, and it got me curious - how many of the "best books" from the year you were born have you read?

To find out, click on the little arrow at the top of the Goodreads page next to "Explore." A drop-down box should appear, and in the list of things to explore, click on Listopia. On the Listopia page, click on the "search lists" text box and type in "Best Books of [year you were born]". A list of lists will come up. Every year is represented, as far as I can tell, but it might not be the first one on the list, so just keep scrolling down until you find it.

Or an easier way - simply Google "Goodreads Best Books of [year you were born]", and let Google do all the hard work for you. ;)

I was born in 1979, and for that year there are 73 books listed. Out of those 73 books, I have read... 1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :P

I probably should have read a couple more of these by now, but most of them I haven't even heard of!

What about you? (You don't have to tell us your birth year if you don't want to!)

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I looked up the best books of the year 1987 which was the year I was born and I've only read two: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King and Redwall.

message 3: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I expected to find a ton of books on the list for my year that I was familiar with as my parents have a big collection of older books but no such luck! For 1981, there were 87 books and I have read (and subsequently, heard of) 1: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 39 comments I expected the answer to be 0, but I have read one: The World According to Garp.

My year is 1978, and there were 80 books.

Thanks for posting this question. Really interesting.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 85 comments 128 books for 1990 and I've read one... Roald Dahl's Esio Trot, the very last book on the list.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Well, that was a fun exercise! Of the 64 books listed (I won't tell you the year - you can guess how old I am), I have read three and never heard of most of them.

Thanks for this question, Faye. This would make a really good challenge. For 2015. I have enough challenges on the go for this year already. :D

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (suzybop) | 90 comments There are 96 books listed for 1984, and I've read 1; Sharpe's Enemy by Bernard Cornwell.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments 5 out of 64 in 1962.

Faye, great question; and I like your idea Sandy, about making this a challenge. I'll look at the 64 books and see if this would be a challenge or just a chore.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 786 comments 5 of 51 listed for 1955:

The Return of the King
Night
A Night to Remember
Eloise
The Magician's Nephew

I figured there would be more books on the list.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) I've read 7 from 1989.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments 127 for mine. I've read 1.

message 12: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 209 comments I've only read 2 books (out of 154) from 1991.
Needful Things
The Waste Lands

Both coincidentally by my favorite author :)

message 13: by dely (new)

dely 0 books for me!
I was born in 1971 and haven't read any of the list which has 67 books.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) 0 for me too. born in 1950. not a book on the list that piques my interest.

message 15: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Wow, this is interesting! I'm totally open to making this a challenge for next year. :)

message 16: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments Out of the 83 books listed for my year 1975, I have read only 2 and have 2 on my TBR for this year :)

Really interesting :) :)

message 17: by Rob (last edited Jul 24, 2014 12:48PM) (new)

Rob | 162 comments 1977 has 61 books listed, of which I can claim 1 as read (The Shining by Stephen King).

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Melissa wrote: "5 out of 64 in 1962.

Faye, great question; and I like your idea Sandy, about making this a challenge. I'll look at the 64 books and see if this would be a challenge or just a chore."

Haha, I love this phrase, Melissa. I was surprised at my ignorance of all of the books from my year of birth. I guess without the internet, we as young people were only exposed to the literature on the school curriculum.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Sandy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "5 out of 64 in 1962.

Faye, great question; and I like your idea Sandy, about making this a challenge. I'll look at the 64 books and see if this would be a challenge or just a cho..."

Yes, I was surprised and it looks like there are quite a few that are on my to-read shelf, so maybe a challenge it is. This internet thing has opened up a whole new reading experience for me. And your right, as children we were limited to the school library or the home bookshelf and the public library (if it was introduced to you). But who put out the raving reviews for great children' literature. I do not remember a teacher who raved reading, but I was blessed with a grandmother who recommended classics to us as children.

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara Brown (taralynn_80) | 62 comments There are 75 on the list for 1980, of the 75 I have read 1: Fables by Arnold Lobel. It was required reading in elementary! The majority of the books on the list I have never even heard of!

message 21: by Francine (last edited Jul 25, 2014 03:02PM) (new)

Francine | 46 comments There are 127 books for 1985 and I've read 2 for sure and there are 2 that I think that I've read (they were from series' that I read as a child). :) What a fun thing to look into!

Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments I read only 4 books published in my year and of the remaining on the list only 1 is on my tbr, the others don't interest me, maybe I'm better off looking at the best books of my decade

message 23: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1209 comments There are 83 books for 1972 and I have read 0! The only one on the list I would even consider reading is Watership Down.

message 24: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (sleepykitty) | 129 comments only #1, A Hand maid's Tale. But there are few I'd like to read, like #2 Enders Game

message 25: by Sarah. B (new)

Sarah. B Only 3 I`m afraid

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 97 comments There are 61 books for my year & I have read a grand total of 0... And a majority of the list I've never heard of! Oh well

message 27: by Judy (new)

Judy | 30 comments I've not heard of most of the books from my birth year's best of list, and I've read 0 of them.

message 28: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent 1957

5 of 61, 4 of which were children's books I read as a child. :-P

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 106 comments I was born in 1991, and for that year there are 156 books listed. Out of those 156 books, I have read none of them.

message 30: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments I've read 2 of the 22 books from 1950, both kids books!

message 31: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Romero (raqueljeannie) | 35 comments I've read 1 from 1991 but I have about 4 or 5 on the to be read shelf :)

message 32: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) 1/83. No hurry to read any of the others. I don't think my birth year was a great year for literature.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Renee wrote: "I lucked out. 1962 was a good year for publishing! I've read 16 of the 64 listed. The top three here were favorites growing up.

-A Wrinkle in Time
-[book:D'Aulaires' Book of Gr..."

Renee, we are the same year and what a good year it was!

message 35: by Elise (new)

Elise Mullette The Giver
The Kissing Hand (a children's book)
The Sandman by Neil Gaiman books 5&6
Martin the Warrior

These are some of the more popular books, there were over 200 books written that year!

message 36: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 8 comments 1959 - Some of my favorites, never new they were published the year I was born.
The Manchurian Candidate by R Condon
The Clue in the Old Staircase (Nancy Drew #37) by C Keene
Nine Tomorrows by A Asimov
Leaves of Grass by W Whitman
Galatic Derelict (Time Traders #2) by A Norton
A Separate Peace by J Knowles
The Sirens of Titan by K Vonnegut
The Beast Master by A Norton
Hawaii by J Michener
Starship Troopers by R Heinlein
Titus Alone (Gormenghast #3) by M Peaks
Flowers for Algernon by D Keyes
Alas, Babylon by P Frank
To Sir With Love by ER Braitwaite
A Raisin in the Sun by L Hansberry
My Side of the Mountain by GC George
Goldfinger by I Fleming

message 37: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments I've read 0... Yet. But there are some good ones on the list. I'll probably skip Sadam Hussain's book on Iraq and international politics though.

message 38: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I was born in 1982 and there are 83 books for that year, of which I've read 2: The House of the Spirits and The Mists of Avalon.

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I was born in 1966. I have been looking for books published that year, Does not look like a good year for books. I have read 0. Maybe I am just picky about what I want to read. Valley of the Dolls was the most popular book that year.

message 41: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) I've only read one, and that's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but there were a couple on my tbr list, like Artemis Fowl and Life of Pi...

message 42: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 98 comments I was born in 1982 there are now 100 books on the list and i've only read 2 of them.

message 43: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1509 comments Mod
I have read one book from 1991 and have three on my to read list. The one I read was Henry and Mudge and the bedtime thumps. I loved that series as a kid!

message 44: by Veronique (new)

Veronique Hmmm the books published in 1971 are not rocking me...

Did read Agatha Christie's Nemesis (trust her to save me). A couple I'm interested: The Lathe of Heaven, The Lorax and The Day of the Jackal.
And there is no way I'm ever reading The Exorcist (the film scarred my childhood - trust silly father)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 435 comments I don't think I have read any of the books of my birth year 19*cough*65*cough* there are 50some almost 60 it looks like
Oh there is Frank Herbert's Dune I have a copy but have not read it. I have been meaning to. I've seen the 1984 movie with Kyle MacLacklin.
Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

Other notables seem to be:
Georgy Girl, The Comedians, Midnight Cowboy, Up the Down Staircase, and Strange Harvest. There maybe a few other well known novels but those were ones I had either heard of or thought were popular ones.