All About YA discussion

Bulletin Board [MOD POSTS ONLY] > Suggestions and/or opinions about the group

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1232 comments Mod
How about adding challenges?

Maybe monthly challenges, for a start. There's the Pick-it-for-me monthly challenge or there's a Book-Pool monthly challenge (those are pretty fun)

Also there's the 1,000-100,000 page group challenge

message 3: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Bryen (kjbryen) | 23 comments Challenges are good. How about also some author stuff? Giveaways, a place for ya authors to promote?

message 4: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Handal (sabrinahandal) Monthly Live shows!

message 5: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 318 comments The yearly ABC challenge is cool. Read a book that's title starts with each letter of the alphabet
example:
A - Allegiant
B -
C - Champion
D - Deathly Hallows
(So on, so forth).

Tommy wrote: "The yearly ABC challenge is cool. Read a book that's title starts with each letter of the alphabet
example:
A - Allegiant
B -
C - Champion
D - Deathly Hallows
(So on, so forth)."

I love that challenge, thanks for the idea!

message 7: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) A chat thread would be much appreciated! :D

message 8: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
Irene wrote: "A chat thread would be much appreciated! :D"

We should have one in the member's lounge.

message 9: by Erin Lynn (new)

Robin wrote: "Tommy wrote: "The yearly ABC challenge is cool. Read a book that's title starts with each letter of the alphabet
example:
A - Allegiant
B -
C - Champion
D - Deathly Hallows
(So on, so forth)."

I ..."

I think we should get that one set up for next year. I really like it.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Me too! That challenge sounds awesome!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) I love the group picture! That's what I noticed and why I joinedXD

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 53 comments Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?

message 13: by Erin Lynn (new)

Amber wrote: "Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?"

Sure thing!

message 14: by Erin Lynn (new)

Amber wrote: "Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?"

Alright, Amber. They are all set up. Great suggestions! :)

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 53 comments Erin wrote: "Amber wrote: "Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?"

Alright, Amber. They are all set up. Great suggesti..."

Thanks! I wasn't sure how to go about asking for threads, so I thought I'd just ask here. :) Yay.

message 16: by Erin Lynn (new)

Amber wrote: "Erin wrote: "Amber wrote: "Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?"

Alright, Amber. They are all set up. G..."

No problem. You can always create them yourself. Just make sure that you put them in the right folder. If not, I usually move them around, but it makes life a little easier when a standalone is put in the Book Talk - Standalones folder. lol

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 53 comments Erin wrote: "Amber wrote: "Erin wrote: "Amber wrote: "Could you create a We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang, and Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas threads?"

Alright, Amber. They are..."

Okay, got it. :) I wasn't sure if creating your own threads were "allowed" in the group. I'll definitely keep that in mind from now on!

message 18: by Erin Lynn (new)

Samantha wrote: "I think it would be cool if we had "Guess the Song" and the person would comment the first two lines from the song and so on:)"

Okay, Samantha. I think to make it more challenging, we'll have members choose any two lines from a song. I'll get it set up, and you can pick the first song. :)

message 19: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Just a thought, but are we having any kind of celebration or anything for getting (omg!) 500 members? Or are you waiting for 1000 or something? :)

message 20: by Erin Lynn (new)

Daisy wrote: "Just a thought, but are we having any kind of celebration or anything for getting (omg!) 500 members? Or are you waiting for 1000 or something? :)"

I'm not sure. I saw that we hit that mark a few days ago! It's awesome. I know all of us mods have a lot going on right now, but we'll probably discuss it soon.

message 21: by Erin Lynn (new)

Lucy wrote: "Hey, guys! So I was browsing a few groups the other day and I noticed a few of these so called Lending Libraries or Lending Folders around.

Basically you just post Kindle books you want to lend to..."

We could make a poll about it. It seems interesting, but it would only work if we have a lot of Kindle users who are willing to lend the book to a stranger.

message 22: by Erin Lynn (new)

Lucy wrote: "Erin wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Hey, guys! So I was browsing a few groups the other day and I noticed a few of these so called Lending Libraries or Lending Folders around.

Basically you just post Kindle..."

The poll is up.

message 23: by Erin Lynn (new)

Lucy wrote: "Hey, guys! So I was browsing a few groups the other day and I noticed a few of these so called Lending Libraries or Lending Folders around.

Basically you just post Kindle books you want to lend to..."

Lucy, I'm getting this all started.

message 24: by D.A. (new)

D.A. | 4 comments Is there a way to discuss themes in YA books? I recently published a YA dystopian novel that has sexual themes, and it's not recommended for younger YA readers. But I'm wondering how people respond to sexual themes in YA books.

What is acceptable and what is not? What are the boundaries for this genre?

I would really like to hear responses on this. Thanks!
Danae

message 25: by Erin Lynn (new)

D.A. wrote: "Is there a way to discuss themes in YA books? I recently published a YA dystopian novel that has sexual themes, and it's not recommended for younger YA readers. But I'm wondering how people respond..."

Hmmm. I know we have a genre talk folder. We could add it in there. Can I have a few more details to know where to file it properly?

message 26: by Jes Reaver (new)

Jes Reaver (jesreaver) I just did a 24 hour read-a-thon with another group I'm in. Has that idea been thrown around here? It was kind of fun there but I'm partial to this group despite being fairly silent.

(If it has been mentioned before please disregard this. I'm still trying to get used to naviating the app and even the website for anything other than page tracking.)

message 27: by Jes Reaver (new)

Jes Reaver (jesreaver) Angie wrote: "Jessi...we actually had a poll up about that. If I remember correctly it was a 50/50 split on the decision. It's funny that you mention that because I was actually thinking of having one while I'm ..."
Well if you wanted to do one with people who are interested I'm definitely in, or if you want a buddy to have a mini read-a-thon with. I have too many piles of books I'm procrastinating ;)

Yes, I hope we can set up a group Read-A-Thon soon.

message 29: by Erin Lynn (new)

So I know I just posted about it in Mod Chat, but I like the idea of a Valentine's Day read-a-thon. I completely forgot that I wanted to have that be the theme for BOTM when I made the poll, but it would be cool to see what everyone picks up individually.

message 30: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "We could do one for the weekend of Valentine's day. We could let it run Friday thru Monday."

I like that. Short and sweet. :)

message 31: by Jes Reaver (new)

Jes Reaver (jesreaver) I like the idea of a weekend one. I just did a 24 hour one and it didn't allow much pacing ;)

message 32: by Erin Lynn (new)

Jessi wrote: "I like the idea of a weekend one. I just did a 24 hour one and it didn't allow much pacing ;)"

Yeah, and that's a three day weekend, right? That Monday is President's Day. Don't kids have off?

message 33: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "Erin wrote: "Jessi wrote: "I like the idea of a weekend one. I just did a 24 hour one and it didn't allow much pacing ;)"

Yeah, and that's a three day weekend, right? That Monday is President's Da..."

Okay. I *might* be working that day because it looks like there might be snow days up here, and that's the first make up day. If that happens, the regular teachers all take off. lol

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

We should have a chit chat thread

message 35: by Danique (new)

Danique I don't really have suggestions. I just wanted to say that I think the mods are doing an amazing job. Not only do they keep the group interesting but they are also really active on here. They communicate with the members and make everyone feel welcome. That's one of the best things about this group!

message 36: by Erin Lynn (new)

Ash Reads Too Much wrote: "We should have a chit chat thread"

We could do a Chit Chat thread... we have a few (well a lot) set up for members to discuss certain books and authors, but we could do a general one.

message 37: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "We have one already...I just got it moved."

I thought we had one!

message 38: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "We have one already...I just got it moved."

Where was it hiding? lol

message 39: by Erin Lynn (new)

Angie wrote: "It was in another folder LOL"

OMG. lol

I looked for hours for it the other day! I'm glad you found it!

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments So no one has posted here in a while, but just wanted to say that we should do a read-a-thon sometime! I've always wanted to do one and I think it would be really fun :)

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments Yay thanks :)

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments Yeah I feel the pain. I'm working my first full time job this summer lol. But luckily i have audio books.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments Hey guys! WhittyNovels on YouTube is hosting the winter #CramAThon from December 19-22! Maybe we could make a board about it and all try to participate? I think it could be really fun! She has some goals for the read-a-thon, so we could all start with posting our TBRs :)

message 44: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay  (platform934) | 8 comments Erin Lynn wrote: "Robin wrote: "Tommy wrote: "The yearly ABC challenge is cool. Read a book that's title starts with each letter of the alphabet
example:
A - Allegiant
B -
C - Champion
D - Deathly Hallows
(So on, s..."

Can you do that challenge again for 2016?? I missed out on it

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie Bear | 5 comments I don't know if you already have this or heard of it or think if its a good or bad idea.

But what does people think about a reading sprint?
A reading sprint for those who don't know is where two people or a group of people chooses an amount of time to read a book that they are already reading, after the time is up you come back and tell us how many pages you have read.

For example, if someone asks for a reading sprint the people online can say something like sure 10 minutes reading sprint? And they say a time. If the person said 8pm they would have to go and read for 10 minutes then come back and say how many pages they read.

It is just an idea don't know if its a good idea or not :)

message 46: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 388 comments Mod
I wonder if anyone has ever looked at the history of YA books, like what are considered classic YA books and how do they compare and contrast to today's YA books? And why are some books like To Kill A Mockingbird considered both a YA book and a book for adults?

message 47: by Erin Lynn (last edited Jan 30, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Hey, everyone!

We just want to let you know that we are making some changes to All About YA. In order to keep things organized, we're adding new rules and guidelines in certain areas around the group. We know it might take some time for you to get used to them, but we hope you understand why we're making these changes.

If you take a moment to look to your left, you'll notice some new rules for everyone. From now on, members won't be able to create random threads. We've had too many duplicate files, and we've had threads set up for things that do not belong in the group. From now on, you will need to come to us if you want to start a new thread. (This rule does not apply to Book Talk, Series Talk, or Author Talk.)

Authors - You are only allowed to promote middle grade and YA. Keep in mind that the target age range for middle grade books is 8-12, and the age range for YA is 12-18. We will delete any promotions for New Adult, Adult Fiction, and Erotica. You will also be deleted from the group. NO EXCEPTIONS.

More information on these rule changes will be in February's newsletter.

We're also looking for a new moderator to help the group. If you're an active member of the group and interested, please fill out the application.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

message 48: by Erin Lynn (new)

Katie wrote: "I don't know if you already have this or heard of it or think if its a good or bad idea.

But what does people think about a reading sprint?
A reading sprint for those who don't know is where two ..."

Hi, Katie. We tried that in the past, but it wasn't popular.

I don't know if you're on Twitter or not, but there is actually a reading account on there that is completely devoted to reading sprints. They set a time to start and a duration, and a lot of people participate.

message 49: by Erin Lynn (new)

Janessa wrote: "I wonder if anyone has ever looked at the history of YA books, like what are considered classic YA books and how do they compare and contrast to today's YA books? And why are some books like To Kil..."

I've thought about that, too. I know a lot of people throw the Bronte sisters in a "classic YA" category. The same with Jane Austen.

I know a lot of librarians will say that Judy Blume paved the way for today's YA. She was so ahead of her time.

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie Bear | 5 comments Thanks for the reply Erin.
I do have twitter but I don't use it as I don't know how to work it haha.
Sounds good though :)

« previous 1