William T Vollmann Central discussion

His Books -- Other Stuff > The Demented Kingdom of WTV

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 733 comments Article in The New Atlantic by Tom Bissell ::

"You Are Now Entering the Demented Kingdom of William T. Vollmann :: Home to goddesses, dreams, and a dangerously uncorrupted literary mind"
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/11...

I'm printing it atm for my reading pleasure.

This looks like a long feature article kind of thing, so therefore we get a whole thread! Don't miss the piece Bill wrote recently, also in this Folder, about his Assassins Credo, pub's in The Atlantic.

Meanwhile, you Vollmanniacs should get inoculated, if you're not already, against the scarey kinds of things people say Bill says and says he shouldn't say (or do, etc). There's this reactionary piece which was pub'd just in the Wake of Bissell's piece ::

"Among the Sex Workers" by Peter J. Leithart, 23July2014 ::
"Tom Bissell’s New Republic profile of William T. Vollmann, journalist, author of legendarily gargantuan novels, painter of nudes and vaginas, is supportive, not to say fawning (though, on second thought, yes, to say fawning). For readers, it will be disquieting."
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/leit...

message 2: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 158 comments Thank you! Much reading pleasure and displeasure for the day!

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 733 comments Anyone who can't make it to see Bill read this week, Bissell's article is a distant second. But a pretty damn sweet second.

message 4: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (TLarissa) | 15 comments Mr. Bissell's piece is very nicely written, with a lot of information about WTV's life. I love the picture of WTV's studio - would spend the next few years looking through his artwork if given the chance.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 733 comments Larissa wrote: "I love the picture of WTV's studio"

I totally missed that ! Must be cuz I printed the damn thing. But yes indeed it's not the hurricane disaster area I had assumed.