Reading the Chunksters discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
Archived 2014 Group Reads > Week 12: 7/21 - Pt 2, Ch VIII-XV

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Thoughts on this week's reading?

Hilary (agapoyesoun) I shall try to comment later as I don't have the book with me... :O

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Back from vacation. Didn't get to crack open Don Quixote even once, so again I am behind...

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Is everyone doing ok? do we need another break week to get caught up again??

message 5: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Thanks for checking in, Kristi! I am OK without another break week, I know I can catch up. But if other people need one then I certainly wouldn't mind and could take advantage of it.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Oh dear, poor old Don Quixote continues to be taken for a fool with Sancho covering his traces by presenting the three 'hags on nags' as DQ's Dulcinea and her damsels. DQ again believes that the wicked enchanters have been hard at work in an attempt to deceive him.

Later he is again the victim of deceit. His erstwhile friends disguised as the knight errant and his squire incur Quixote's wrath. As he charges towards the knight aka the bachelor, said 'knight' falls off his horse severely wounding himself. The identity of his deceivers being then revealed (their feat having been originally intended as a mercy mission to bring Quixote home) finds a very sore bachelor infuriated and determined to get even with DQ. It is difficult to distinguish who really is the mad man here!

Paul I've seen the play Man of la Mancha. Dulcinea was never portrayed as being so unattractive.

message 8: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments OK, I'm finally caught up to last week's reading. Back to good ol' Sancho and Quixote antics! Ha ha to the "hags on nags" scene. The reveal of the bachelor surprised me at the end, although it shouldn't have as it seems everyone turns mad enough to enjoy some DQ hijinx in order to try and turn DQ sane again. But I WAS surprised that after the whole ordeal, the bachelor is now enraged enough that his plan didn't work as to want to get revenge on poor DQ!!

I also laughed at the giant purple paper mache nose that Sancho's friend wore. I'm sure it looked totally ridiculous!

I loved all the various proverbs used, and especially when DQ told Sancho that he didn't pick out his proverbs very well for the occasion he was using them for.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Oh yes, Linda, I loved that bit with all of Sancho's proverbs/clichés. I think DQ could have given him a bit of 'poetic' licence ; though it is DQ after all.

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Don Quixote and Sancho Panza have more in common than what is obvious - they alternate between foolishness and clarity.

message 11: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Paul wrote: "Don Quixote and Sancho Panza have more in common than what is obvious - they alternate between foolishness and clarity."

Yes, I was thinking the same thing while reading this section, Paul. I think it was in this section where Sancho says something to the effect of how he must be mad himself to be following Don Quixote in such quests in the first place.

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Yes, and at times, it seems like Sancho is in charge.

message 13: by Renato (new) - added it

Renato (renatomrocha) I think they start out as being different, but then as they live together, one starts influencing a lot on the other, what would be called as a quixotization of Sancho and a sanchification of Don Quixote.

Hilary (agapoyesoun) Like the words Renato! Spot on.

message 15: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 1378 comments Yes! I love "sanchification". ha ha!