The American Civil War discussion

Battles, People & Key Events > Interest or Books about General Turner Ashby?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 111 comments I'm starting some research on General Turner Ashby. (He is sometimes referred to as "Colonel" since he was this rank for most of his Civil War fighting days). If you're not familiar with his name and Civil War career, he was the cavalry commander for General "Stonewall" Jackson during the 1862 Valley Campaign. Ashby was killed in June 1862.

I'm trying find out historian/reader's opinions about the couple of biographies that are available.

Also personal opinions on the commander would be appreciated. It would even be helpful to mention if you don't know anything about him or had never heard of him before.

Many thanks for the help.

These are the books I've seen on Amazon:

The Memoirs Of General Turner Ashby And His Compeers by Rev. James B. Avirett (Sep 28, 2012)

General Turner Ashby: The Centaur Of The South by Clarence Thomas (Aug 28, 2012)
Product Details

Life of Turner Ashby (Classic Reprint) by Thomas A. Ashby (Jul 13, 2012)

Knight Of The Confederacy: Gen. Turner Ashby by Frank [signed] Cunningham (1960)

Blood Image: Turner Ashby in the Civil War and the Southern Mind (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American... by Paul Christopher Anderson (Mar 21, 2006)

message 2: by Manray9 (last edited Jul 23, 2014 08:00AM) (new)

Manray9 | 434 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm starting some research on General Turner Ashby. (He is sometimes referred to as "Colonel" since he was this rank for most of his Civil War fighting days). If you're not familiar with his name a..."

I have not read any of the books mentioned, but Ashby figures prominently in:

I Rode With Stonewall by Henry Kyd Douglas I Rode with Stonewall by Henry Kyd Douglas. These are his memoirs as a member of Jackson's staff.

Stonewall in the Valley Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Spring 1862 by Robert G. Tanner Stonewall in the Valley by Robert G. Tanner.

Shenandoah 1862 Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign by Peter Cozzens Shenandoah 1862: Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign by peter Cozzens

Make Me a Map of the Valley The Civil War Journal of Stonewall Jackson's Topographer by Jedediah Hotchkiss Make Me a Map of the Valley: The Civil War Journal of Stonewall Jackson's Topographer by Jedediah Hotchkiss. Hotchkiss' diary is a great source on Jackson, Ashby, and the Valley Campaign of '62.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 111 comments Thanks for the recommendations, Manray9. I've read Shenandoah 1862 and am planning to read HKDouglas's book soon. (Just haven't added them to my GoodRead's list yet.) I'll definitely look at the others you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bierle (gazette665) | 111 comments I found some good information about Ashby in Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend

Thought I'd add it to this discussion thread, just in case anyone else in looking for Ashby information.