Books on the Nightstand discussion

Booker prize 2014

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments the long list is out! This years candidates are pasted in below.

So, this is the first year American authors can participate - did the right ones qualify? Have you read any of the books? Thoughts?

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, Joshua Ferris (Viking)
The Narrow Road to the Deep North, Richard Flanagan (Chatto & Windus)
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Karen Joy Fowler (Serpent's Tail)
The Blazing World, Siri Hustvedt (Sceptre)
J, Howard Jacobson (Jonathan Cape)
The Wake, Paul Kingsnorth (Unbound)
The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell (Sceptre)
The Lives of Others, Neel Mukherjee (Chatto & Windus)
Us, David Nicholls (Hodder & Stoughton)
The Dog, Joseph O'Neill (Fourth Estate)
Orfeo, Richard Powers (Atlantic Books)
How to be Both, Ali Smith (Hamish Hamilton)
History of the Rain, Niall Williams (Bloomsbury)

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 221 comments The only one I've read was Karen Fowler's which I loved. I was surprised not to see Goldfinch!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments Cross-posting my comment over at The Readers:

Us and Orfeo are at the top of my Booker2014 TBR. I read and loved We Are all Completely Beside Ourselves.

Exciting that a couple of Booktopia authors made the cut!

Oh, but, oh....let's all say it together, 'Poor Donna Tartt.'

message 4: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 91 comments I haven't read any of these. Thanks for posting and now time to add to my TBR.

Which of these authors has spoken at Booktopia?

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 4 comments I loved Karen Fowler's book. That's the only one I've read, though.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) | 493 comments Dianne wrote: "I haven't read any of these. Thanks for posting and now time to add to my TBR.

Which of these authors has spoken at Booktopia?"

same here & yes, do tell on which are Bokktopians...

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I'll definitely be reading the new Mitchell.

message 8: by Sue (last edited Jul 23, 2014 08:34AM) (new)

Sue | 415 comments Oh, no, I was mistaken! I thought Joshua Ferris and Siri Hustvedt had been at Booktopia for some reason. When I did a quick google search to confirm, I was duped by the other 'Booktopia.' I could have sworn I'd seen The Blazing World in recent Booktopia discussions, though, and heard Ann talking about Josh Ferris as a Booktopia author.

Apologies for the misinformation!

Becky wrote: "Dianne wrote: "I haven't read any of these. Thanks for posting and now time to add to my TBR.

Which of these authors has spoken at Booktopia?"

same here & yes, do tell on which are Bokktopians..."

message 9: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments I've only read the Ferris and I can't believe it made the long list. It was okay but not a Booker book, IMO. (And don't get me started about Americans on the Booker list....)

I've liked Niall Williams in the past--will look for that one and if I never read Howard Jacobson again it will be too soon. :)

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 366 comments I read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves as well and really liked it.

I own Orfeo and The Blazing World but haven't read either yet. Guess I should!

message 11: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 91 comments No worries Sue. It can get confusing with all this bookish excitement:-)

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I was completely beside myself!

Dianne wrote: "No worries Sue. It can get confusing with all this bookish excitement:-)"

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 221 comments I bet poor Donna had plans for the prize money.

message 14: by Louise (last edited Jul 23, 2014 11:53PM) (new)

Louise | 279 comments It's a little annoying that 4 of the books won't be available for a while yet - you should think the publishers would try to get them out before the short list is announced in September, to benefit from the extra attention and sales? (I guess the sale possibilities will drop a little if they don't make the short list?)

message 15: by Kalen (new)

Kalen | 218 comments American or British? Before Americans were eligible that was routine--the British books were rarely already available in the US.

A million years ago before the internet and before publishers got more savvy about the Booker, this was my job at Tattered Cover--I handled the international buying. A large part of that was eagerly waiting for the shortlist (no longlist in those days) to come by fax from our distributor in Kent. We would then scramble to get the books ordered.

Booker Day was so exciting--my assistant and I would obsessively check the fax machine all day waiting for word so that we could then get copies of the winning title ordered for customers. He usually predicted the winner correctly; I never did.

message 16: by Louise (last edited Jul 24, 2014 05:08AM) (new)

Louise | 279 comments They all seem to be published at the same time in the U.S. and the U.K.

The shortlist will be announced on Tuesday 9 September 2014

How To Be Both, Ali Smith is available 4 Sep 2014

J, Howard Jacobson is out 25 Sep 2014 (so if he doesn't make the short list, talk about loosing sales?)

The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell 2 Sep 2014

The Dog, Joseph O'Neill Sep 9, 2014

Us, David Nicholls 30 Sep 2014
(so if he doesn't make the short list either, it should affect the sales?)

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 24 comments I must say that for the first time none of the books appeal!

message 18: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (smcamp1234) I'm almost half way done with the long list, I'm taking The Wake slowly, but the challenge in its language of its own makes it a fun one to say the least.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 279 comments Which one is your current favourite Shawn?

message 20: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (smcamp1234) Right now my favorites would have to be The Blazing World and We Are Completely Beside Ourselves. I'm thinking TheWake will rate just as high with me. I wasn't to thrilled with History of Rain and Orfeo and To Rise Again at a Decent Hour are enjoyable but not my favorites.

message 21: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (smcamp1234) Well the short list was announce and out of the long list books I've read only two (ferris and fowler) I've read. I was about to start reading the dog but now I may start something other than that.

I was surprised that kingsnorth's the wake didn't make the short list. And even more surprised that David Mitchell didn't either.

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise (deniseg53) | 221 comments I am planning to read The Lives of Others in the near future. Everyone really seems surprised that David Mitchell didn't make the short list.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bramlett | 15 comments I haven't read/heard of any of these! Now I have more to add to my TBR!

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Halfway through HOW TO BE BOTH and loving it.