The Book Vipers discussion

General Archive Folder > Man Booker Prize 2014

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1366 comments None.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Haven't read any, and not on my TBR list either. Oh dear. Feeling out of the loop now.

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail | 126 comments Thank you for posting the list Paul. Will have a look and see which ones appeal as I never get around to reading them all!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 23 comments I've read the Fowler but wasn't keen. Shamefully didn't even know about Hustvedt and Ferris despite enjoying their previous books. Have downloaded the samples of all the books that have been released. History of the rain is my favourite title.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
David Nicolls? Assume he has moved on from chick lit to something a little more original then! On the face of it a very strange choice to me, but mustn't judge an author by one poor and predictable "made for Hollywood" venture I suppose.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5458 comments Mod
I still haven't read One Day! There are a couple that look good so have added them. Some one has kindly created the listopia version:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (justanna) | 145 comments I generally find I'm not that keen on Man Brooker Prize books, to the extend that if it's mentioned on the front cover I think twice about reading it. I find it a prize that's the book world's Oscars,

Though that said I won't not read any of the above (none read or on my tbr list) because they've been short listed, however as I'm trying to reduce my tbr list in 2014 I probably shouldn't add to it (again).

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1366 comments Anna I tend to agree. Our book club, years ago, started reading the Bookers. We soon gave up. One or two were fine. The rest bored us rigid. We now do same as you. We groan inwardly if it says Booker prizewinner on cover

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1874 comments I haven't got any off them on my TBR list, I won't be adding any of these as I have enough already to read.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Jason wrote: "I haven't got any off them on my TBR list, I won't be adding any of these as I have enough already to read."

You can never have enough to read Jason.

I have added a couple, but I know what you mean Pat and Anna, there are some dire books with Booker nominations...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I've only just starting paying attention to book awards this year. Never during the rest of my reading life have I paid attention. Interesting tidbits about the Man Booker prize according to this thread. I did see the Goodreads description on it but that's of course matter of fact and not personal opinion.

message 13: by Paul (new)

I am slowly working my way through the Samuel Johnson Non Fiction Prize list. I do read the odd booker, but some are not really worth the effort.

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1366 comments Paul, my sentiments exactly. Made me smile.

message 15: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 14 comments I can't speak for most of the books on the list, but the three I've read were excellent.
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro winner.
Possession by A.S. Byatt winner.
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood finalist.

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) Duane wrote: "I can't speak for most of the books on the list, but the three I've read were excellent.
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro winner.
Possession by [auth..."

Yes, those are good ones.

message 17: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 242 comments Thank you Paul

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lewis | 19 comments I find that being on the short list is not a guarantee of a fabulous book, but most are at the very least thought-provoking (Atwood and Ishiguro for example) and some are incredible (both of the above and my personal favourite "Cloud Atlas"), in my opinion anyway! Occasionally I will pick one up which is unreadable or simply disappointing (I wasn't a fan of Zadie Smith's "White Teeth") so I don't automatically buy shortlisted books, but wait to see reviews and recommendations. That's why this forum is so important to me!

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1366 comments I agree with those Duane. In fact the more people are putting on, the more I am thinking, maybe I do like Booker (maybe just not the winners). I don't like Zadie Smith either. Just personal preference.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lewis | 19 comments Well, I just finished reading "We are all Completely Beside Ourselves" and I was blown away. I won't say anything about it here other than to highly recommend it. If you don't already know about it, read it without reading the reviews, it's worth it. Which one next vipers?

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lewis | 19 comments The reviews look amazing. Have you read it, Paul?

message 23: by Paul (new)

Not yet, too many others at the moment. It is on my list to read though

message 24: by Paul (new)

Had anyone seen this from the Guardian?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/seri...

message 25: by Jo (last edited Aug 07, 2014 06:02AM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "Well, I just finished reading "We are all Completely Beside Ourselves" and I was blown away. I won't say anything about it here other than to highly recommend it. If you don't already know about it..."

I am looking forward to that one. Other than that one, which I already have, I am going to wait for the shortlist to come out before I pay too much attention because I have so much to read in the meantime!

And I see our next fiction read is a Booker Winner....

The Remains of the Day is one of my all time favourites. Heartstopping, the intensity is both understated but overwhelming. So skillful.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Paul wrote: "Had anyone seen this from the Guardian?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/seri..."

That's funny :)

message 28: by Paul (new)

Any one care to predict the winner then?

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1874 comments The one that comes first?

I go with the lives of others.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Richard Flanagan, The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments I haven't had much luck with Booker Prize winners in the past. If any of these are good let us know.

message 32: by Paul (new)

I know what you mean Sandy!

So the The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan wins then. Anyone aiming to read it?

message 33: by Jo (new)

I wasn't planning to especially, however, we saw the author's interview last night on one of the news programmes and it was very moving. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a riveting read though.

Man Bookers may be "beautifully written" or remarkably clever, but ultimately for me, I need to want to turn the pages and find out more and if I don't, then I don't, literary award or no!

The exception to the rule for me, in terms of winners, was The Remains of the Day. WOW, knocked me over.

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 147 comments I just saw a reading sample in Dutch and it doesn't seem to grab my immediate attention. But who knows...

From what I've read and for what it is worth: great on the descriptions especially on life in the camp, but the language can be rather solemn.