Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Tournaments) > World Cup of Reading - Discussions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 187 (187 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments since I couldn't just delete Ty's awesome comment in the sign-up thread - feel free to chat here

you know like them threesomes, Ez. I'll bring my Alien Alpha Bad Boy Motorcycle Club President Love Muffin to da playground.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments or Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker's fabulous response

ABBMCPLM--LMAO! tell him that I am bad girl, does he like bad girls?

message 3: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Dee wrote: "or Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker's fabulous response

ABBMCPLM--LMAO! tell him that I am bad girl, does he like bad girls? "

I am excited..but a little petrified too.

@Ty, you tell ABBMCPLM that I have The Bringer of Rain, Slayer of Theokoles--Spartacus in my corner.
My Gladiator can take that biker any day.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments ok - so we all know that Ezinwanyi TOTALLY WANTS DOES NOT want Space Opera in her grouping...any thoughts on themes you hope we including? ones you are scared of? (of course, I may neither confirm nor deny if they are or aren't included)

message 5: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) I hope there will be fantasy romance. I read recently The Winter King and I need excuse to read more similar books.
I'm scared of mm romances. Read just one and was not thrilled.

message 6: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments lol I need to watch that show. All the damn previews make me crazy salivate....

message 7: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments and for the record, the space opera genre is really Space Opera/Aliens... if that makes it better.

message 8: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Dragana wrote: "I hope there will be fantasy romance. I read recently The Winter King and I need excuse to read more similar books.
I'm scared of mm romances. Read just one and was not thrilled."

what m-m did you read? I definitely want m-m included.
I don't mind fantasy, but I space alien love is where I draw the line (LOL).

PNR, UF, HR, CR, New Adult, Chick Lit (but not the cozy mystery ones), YA, Fantasy, M-M. That about covers me

message 9: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1548 comments I can't wait to see the themes. 8 groups of 5? I can't even think of 40 themes.

I like historicals and romantic suspense. Not a fan of YA or new adult. Will not read anything religious.

Although...do you think I will HAVE to read m/f books? I do love my mm...

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 354 comments I enjoy reading Romantic Suspense, Paranormal, Historical, Menage, and Erotica. I haven't read any MM yet, and I definitely haven't tried Space Opera !?!?

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Susan A wrote: "I can't wait to see the themes. 8 groups of 5? I can't even think of 40 themes.

I like historicals and romantic suspense. Not a fan of YA or new adult. Will not read anything religious.

Altho..."

yep, you may need to read at least a couple of MF books. don't worry, I will help you :D

Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann is a romantic suspense MF book with a major M-M storyline

message 12: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2014 02:12PM) (new)

Fran | 11193 comments Susan A wrote: "I can't wait to see the themes. 8 groups of 5? I can't even think of 40 themes.

Altho..."

Hi Susan!

I don't want to speak for Dee, but I will give you my best guess based on what I've seen in the Mod group so far. You will probably be able to read most of the categories as m/m or m/f, the categories are broad enough that you should be able to find what you want.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Sorry I was drowning swimming ;)

Susan you should be able to find MM that fits about every category

Like Fran said Brockmann has m/f with fairly decent m/m - it was my gateway drug to that world ;)

message 14: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Fran wrote: "Susan A wrote: "I can't wait to see the themes. 8 groups of 5? I can't even think of 40 themes.

I like historicals and romantic suspense. Not a fan of YA or new adult. Will not read anything r..."

Can I take a peak at the mod group to see what y'all got?

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Nice try...lol

message 16: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments someone mentioned in the Q/A thread of never having heard of space opera. here are some examples of space opera/space/aliens - remember, they have to be romances!

Undercover (Federation Chronicles, #1) by Lauren Dane Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre Alien, Mine by Sandra Harris Accidental Abduction (Alien Abduction, #1) by Eve Langlais Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1) by Linnea Sinclair The Warlord's Comeuppance (Coletti Warlords, #2) by Gail Koger
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman Broken Boundaries by Evangeline Anderson Glow (Sky Chasers, #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1) by Martin Leicht Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) by Lois McMaster Bujold My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1) by J.L. Langley

message 17: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I think The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith is Space Opera too.. I have this and the Vorkosigan saga to continue. Put me in the Space Opera group please!

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments I can't decide if I want to sign up for this or not. It looks so awesome, but I'm scared of the unknown...

message 19: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "what m-m did you read? I definitely want m-m included.
I don't mind fantasy, but I space alien love is where I draw the line (LOL)."

I read Grey's Awakening. I guess I should have eased myself slower into the genre not jumping to erotica right away. It was full of hilarious statements like: "I gave you my ass. That better fucking mean something to you." LOL

There is nothing that spices up a romance novels like a little bit of tentacles. You don't know what you are missing out Ezi. :D
Just kidding. I'm sure we can find you some cute alien romance. Like: The Host.

message 20: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 170 comments haven't read M/M yet, but I'm planning on trying that genre out later.

My favorite genres are; PNR, UF, CR, CL, NA, YA, Romantic Suspense, Most mystery genres, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance.

message 21: by btwthesepages (new)

btwthesepages | 114 comments Excited!!

message 22: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Dragana wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "what m-m did you read? I definitely want m-m included.

I read [book:Grey's Awakeni..."

The Host is one of my all time favorite books. I read the book, then listened to the audio...but never saw the movie.
I LOVED that book as much as Twilight's New Moon.

@Ty: I would be willing to try My Fair Captain

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I really liked My Fair Captain Ezi ;)

other m/m for beginners (at least to me) - Faith & Fidelity; Promises are both good books that I started out with and still hold a special place in my heart

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Cameron Dane is a hard sell for newbie m/m readers IMHO...I like her, but she is a bit hard to stomach

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 383 comments I love M/M romance too. One of my all-time favorites has to be Life Lessons, also Bear, Otter, and the Kid, both of which are really great for beginners. As well, pretty much anything by Josh Lanyon.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 354 comments Ty wrote: "someone mentioned in the Q/A thread of never having heard of space opera. here are some examples of space opera/space/aliens - remember, they have to be romances!..."

That was me!! Thanks Ty :)

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i expected more attempts at bribery from you guys to see the categories...oh well

message 28: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I read a lot of genres, but my faves are Historical Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery. I haven't read much M/M, so I appreciate the "beginner" recommendations on this thread. I'm willing to try space opera if I have to!

message 29: by Dragana (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:33AM) (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Thank you for a recommendations for a beginner. But I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I will be in a group without mm romance genre. :D
I am willing to accept aliens, were-dolphins & dinosaurs.

BTW That would be great genre to add - dino-erotica. I have seen so many these last months. :)

message 30: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11193 comments Dragana wrote: "Thank you for a recommendations for a beginner. But I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I will be in a group without mm romance genre. :D
I am willing to accept aliens, were-dolphins & dinos..."

Dragana, you will be able to read almost all m/f for this challenge if you want to. There won't be an m/m category. Sub-genres of romance in general, like aliens, regency, etc. An LGBT category may show up, but you should be able to find a story with little graphic sex.

message 31: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:46AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments My Newbie M-m recs:
Top 3 Audiobooks:

A Reason To Believe by Diana Copland by Diana Copland (great narrator, a great story, and it was well written)
Something Like Summer (Seasons, #1) by Jay Bell by Jay Bell (really well written story. emotional and all that)
Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux by Abigail Roux (my favorite m-m series)

top 3 E-books:
Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1) by Tere Michaels by Tere Michaels (my 2nd favorite series)
The Rebuilding Year by Kaje Harper by Kaje Harper (great story, not very angst)
Collide (Blackcreek, #1) by Riley Hart by Riley Hart (sweet but very angsty)

message 32: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Dragana wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "what m-m did you read? I definitely want m-m included.

I read [book:Grey's Awakeni..."

Umm yea. I got enough Tentacle sightings thanks to you and Val over there at SOS freebies.
*still shuddering*

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 24, 2014 08:55AM) (new)

Fran | 11193 comments If anyone needs an LGBT title and they don't read m/m, I would suggest the following 3 YA titles. I loved all 3, and they are more about the emotion of being gay and finding yourself.

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Marco Impossible by Hannah Moskowitz

Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

message 34: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "My Newbie M-m recs:"

ALL OF THESE!

message 35: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Ezi, have you read Handsome Hero Wanted? Might fit for the space-y theme. Aliens. Tails. Words that make me laugh. James Cox is a literary genius ;)

message 36: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments Katie wrote: "I can't decide if I want to sign up for this or not. It looks so awesome, but I'm scared of the unknown..."

Do it, Katie!

I'm basically just doing whatever Dee tells me to do.

message 37: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Breann wrote: "Katie wrote: "I can't decide if I want to sign up for this or not. It looks so awesome, but I'm scared of the unknown..."

Do it, Katie!

I'm basically just doing whatever Dee tells me to do."

Come on Katie, you know you wanna join us. Just jump!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments And I'll explain everything as we go!

message 39: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Breann wrote: "Ezi, have you read Handsome Hero Wanted? Might fit for the space-y theme. Aliens. Tails. Words that make me laugh. James Cox is a literary genius ;)"

I went to get it and it's 63 pages. IS there a page limit for this challenge?
Thanks Breann. I might get it for my own reading as it is pretty short

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2268 comments OK, I read MM exclusively, so I am going with my favourite book of all time to ease all you MM virgins ( I cant believe there are virgins out there) into the genre. Promises (Coda Books, #1) by Marie Sexton .

message 41: by Shelby (last edited Jul 25, 2014 02:13AM) (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1676 comments Fantastic MM beginner book...

The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1) by FayJay - Especially if you're a Merlin/Arthur fan. :D

There are so many good MM books and I'm always willing to throw out recommendations if someone ends up with it on their list and they need a little help with the choosing.

I'm a good option for help right Ezi? ;)

message 42: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Shelby wrote: "Fantastic MM beginner book...

The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1) by FayJay - Especially if you're a Merlin/Arthur fan. :D

There are so many good MM books and I'm always willing to throw out recommend..."

I like how The Student Prince sounds based on summary. I might even read it even if my group does not get glbt category. Tnx Shelby. :)

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments its Friday and i'm bored at work...if someone posts a cute animal pic, I might be convinced to post a sneak-peak of a couple shelves ;)

message 44: by Katie (last edited Jul 25, 2014 07:06AM) (new)

Katie | 2083 comments ...I DO want to join. Ok, I'm going to go figure out where I need to post. :P

Yay! I love being bribed with cute animal pics, too!

description

message 45: by Breann (new)

Breann | 0 comments bunny love ♥♥♥

message 46: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3804 comments I have to concur with Promises--loved that book. What about Between Sinners and Saints? I thought that was a good one too to start out with because it was such a touching story.

message 47: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Jul 25, 2014 07:36AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "OK, I read MM exclusively, so I am going with my favourite book of all time to ease all you MM virgins ( I cant believe there are virgins out there) into the genre. Promises (Coda Books, #1) by Marie Sexton."

there are LOTS of m-m virgins here. I don't read any genre exclusively. i am an equal opportunity groupie LOL!
My only requirement if LOVE and HEAs.

message 48: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Shelby wrote: "Fantastic MM beginner book...

There are so many good MM books and I'm always willing to throw out recommend

I'm a good option for help right Ezi? ;) ..."

*looks around sheepishly*
I haven't read that one--the Student Prince. someone told me it is a bootleg Captive Prince or something like that. So I said why settle for ground beef when Captive Price was a steak. I don't think I even gave it a second glance. Should I be reading that one?

But You definitely are a GREAT resource!

message 49: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3804 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I don't read any genre exclusively. i am an equal opportunity groupie LOL!
My only requirement if LOVE and HEAs. "

I'm with you Ezi!

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments ok, so I got 2 cute animal pics... ;)

sneak-peek at 2 categories
nerd/geek/genuis

shapeshifters - bear/wolves

« previous 1 3 4