Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > MARCH 2018.....THE LAST MRS. PARRISH...by Liv Constantine

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 820 comments Mod
I want to open this up with a positive note...This has a slight case of Thriller, and much, MUCH Psy...The Author (s) are listed here in Goodreads. Thank you

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Hey, everybody! Glad to see ya! I'm just starting Chapter Four this morning and I can tell ya that Amber is up to no damn good. 😇Knew a rabbit named Amber once. She was bad news, too!😨 This one's gonna be a winner. Happy reading, y'all!

message 3: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Hahaha,,,,,Keep reading Jim, for this girl is a WINNER....haha

message 4: by Ami (new)

Ami Cook | 3 comments Picked it up from library last night. Going to start it this weekend.

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 278 comments On wait list at my library!!

message 6: by Jim (last edited Mar 01, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Our BOTM website is now open with information about the THE LAST MRS. PARRISH and a surprise about the book's author. http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 7: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Lets get started this weekend on this book, because there are some things that NEEDS to be said.......Stay tuned...

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments So I just went down to the library to pick up the hardback copy of MrsP that I had on hold. There I discovered yet another copy of MrsP on the 14-Day shelf. So I got that one two! (Intended pun) Now Dorothy can read one at the same time as me! Woo-hoo!😲

message 9: by stephanie, MOD (new)

This chick is off her rocker...

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Reading...Reading...Reading...😨

message 11: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I must have caught the cold bugggggg, will chime in within the next day or so...Man, I feel like poop, and I hope I caught it in time....

message 12: by Jim (last edited Mar 03, 2018 10:14PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments 😢

message 13: by Ami (new)

Ami Cook | 3 comments Hope you feel better Stephanie. I have this picked up from library now and will get started this week.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments I've reached the half-way point and . . . Gadzooks! Our Amber has pulled out all the stops now. This has turned into the feast of the rabid dog. (Nothing against dogs, of course!)

message 15: by stephanie, MOD (new)

So lets talk about this quote>>>>>>>> Watch out what you wish for.....For you might get it...........OR........The grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence...........................................................

message 16: by Jim (last edited Mar 05, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Wowzer, Stephanie, I was thinking those very words myself. So y'all think part one (Amber) is something to get excited about, huh? Just wait for part two. It's one of those "didn't see THAT 😨 coming" moments. Then, of course, there's part three. I call it "Just Desserts" for a very good reason. Just like a good meal, a good book needs dessert. Know what I'm saying? Is it dessert or desert? I've never put that one together.😩

So who is still reading here? How far are you?😎

message 17: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Crocker | 4 comments I've finished the book and am keeping quiet so as to not spoil it. Another thing to think about is "Things are not always as they seem".

message 18: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Noffke | 8 comments I read the book last year and trying not to say anything yet!

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Glad you are hanging out with us, Shirley. These things usually get off to a rather slow start, but eventually . . .

So I stayed up late last night and FINISHED! HAHAHA! Oh, my goodness sakes! I just finished writing up my review and will post it within the next hour. Right now I am leaning toward FIVE stars. Yeah, so the authors manipulated the reader a LOT. Nevertheless, being set up is not always a bad thing, sometimes.

Now, on my BOTM site [ www.botm.blackdogebooks.com ] I have a link to a one-star review by Emily, along with a slew of comments. Emily hid her spoilers (Thank You!) and I have not read them yet. I wanted to write my review first.

So now I'm going to go see what Emily had to say about MrsP!

message 20: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Okay, so here is my take on a few things regarding these 2 women. But let me back up first and say what I have to say, and if I offend anyone, I mean no harm,,,But why is it that there always seems to be the women fighting over a man? When I go to concerts, I see women throwing their panties, bra's and wigs on the stage. I don't see no men throwing Jocky straps, boxers or brief's. I love my sisters, I really do, but some of us need to be hit upside the head with a skillet. When I started this book, I thought, " What kind of crap is this" ( crap wasn't really the word I used) but anyway, Amber was leaving a life to start a new one, Okay I get it, many folks do, But why Amber, WHY run to grab someone else's junk? I know this book was too far fetch for me, because poor don't mix with the $..thats the truth. How many people do you know that will take on someone that has 10 cents in their pocket where as you may have 1 mill in your bank acct? Second, this wouldn't happen in real life, so remember folks,,,,THIS IS JUST A BOOK...

message 21: by stephanie, MOD (new)

This puzzles me, how in the world can Amber slip on by from her past, and not no one looking for her on the Most Wanted? Justice system wasn't working in a good way in Amber's case. She headed on out to The BIG CITY.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Very interesting points you raise, Stephanie. Yunno. Us guys don't throw our stuff away, but we still lookin' bigtime, just the same. It's biology. Now poor Amber probably wanted to live the LIFE, and this was just her way of getting there--being a sociopath and all. Sure, she constantly talked trash about MrsP's choices. But I think that was because she was jealous and really wanted the same thing--which was to be adored and taken care of like a little princess. More than just a little narcissism at work there. Sociopathy and narcissism make for a dynamic duo!

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Now I just posted my review! Gave it 5 (*****) stars. It was either that or four. That's all I do in the review department. Otherwise, I keep quiet. For me, the book was all about the strange world inhabited by sociopaths. Anyway, they certainly do walk among us. Maybe one of y'all know a few. Sure would like to hear about that.

message 24: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Dear Jim, I don't know of any of my friends who would pull off a situation like this. NOT saying that its never happened, I think about if the story was reversed, you know, like if 2 men were after a woman, and all hell broke out.
Remember the old movie..The Hand that Rocks The Cradle? This I believe was right up the alley, but without the killing.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments I didn't see it. Will it scare me?

message 26: by stephanie, MOD (new)

No, its a good movie, with a twist, so rent it...I tell you its worth it.

message 27: by Farshana (new)

Farshana | 28 comments On wait-list at the library, hoping to get to reading this soon!

message 28: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 85 comments I have reserved a Kindle copy of this, from Overdrive. It looks like I will have quite a wait though.

message 29: by stephanie, MOD (new)

You know, I don't want to throw books in anyone's face's, but you guys really should go to the Book List and see what the next pick is and see if you will enjoy it, and if so, then grab it at your library right away, thats one HUGE reason why I did the book list, so you all can be ahead of the game and the folks......

message 30: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Pretty soon ( like tomorrow ) we will discuss how folks lie to "fit in"

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments I can't wait! Now I just found an astounding story about a conman and posted it on my BOTM site. This guy was unbelievable. Yet, all the victims are there to talk about it.
www.botm.blackdogebooks.com

message 32: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Jim, I guess its just you and me kid.....

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm also on my library wait list...crossing my fingers it will get to me quickly!

message 34: by stephanie, MOD (new)

YIPIEEEE...GO GET-EM JESSICA

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments I just returned my copy to the library. Maybe Jessica will get it!😲

message 36: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I live close to a library that is always packed, but they keep the books flowing.
So now that this is day 7, lets talk some more about the the way Ms. Amber smoozed on in to the Big House.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Amber hada plan and she just waltzed right in there!

message 38: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Noffke | 8 comments KARMA

message 39: by Jim (last edited Mar 08, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments For some reason I keep thinking that Amber would have been a more effective character if we saw her as a real person with good and negative qualities. Mostly, our initial story viewpoint is through Amber's eyes. And that makes Daphne look like an entitled snob who condescends to the common folk. And we hang the same label on poor Bella. Of course I think that was the author's intent. But I think that Amber was cast too much as a cardboard jealous, conniving bee-atch. I'm not saying that she should have been played for sympathy or portrayed with "reasons" why she is the way she is. She's a bigtime sociopath, which I think is 99% genetic disposition that is rarely rechanneled into a half-way nice human being.

What do y'all think about that?😩

message 40: by Jim (last edited Mar 08, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments I just posted a link to a recent audio interview with the authors on the BOTM site. I'm listening to it right now at the Public Library Podcast: http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

The authors suggested the following cast, if MrsP would be made into a movie:

Amber - Jennifer Lawrence
Daphne - Reese Witherspoon
Jackson - Hugh Jackman

Who would you cast?

message 41: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Crocker | 4 comments I found the first part of the book very difficult and was tempted to put it down a couple of times. The Amber character is repulsive. And making her even more repulsive is that it is written in the third person for the most part with someone else telling us what Amber thinks and feels. It puts a distance between the reader and the character. I wonder if Amber would have seemed more real if she had told her story in her own voice and shared some fears and questions. Maybe sociopaths don't have any fears and questions. My hunch is that the writers wanted her to be as awful as possible but doing so made it hard to stick with the book. Also from Amber's perspective, Daphne seems like a first-class dunce. And why is that ill-mannered child being given a pass all the time?

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments You talking about poor Bella, Dorothy? I thought she had spunk!

message 43: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Crocker | 4 comments She displays a lack of empathy for others. If she were my child I would be concerned about it and worried that she had some of her father's characteristics.

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Dorothy wrote: "She displays a lack of empathy for others. If she were my child I would be concerned about it and worried that she had some of her father's characteristics."
Oh, yeah?😲

message 45: by Dorothy (last edited Mar 09, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Dorothy Crocker | 4 comments I nominate Jason Bateman for the role of Jackson in the movie. When he plays against type, as he did in The Ozarks, he really is remarkable.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Okay! You're never going to believe this, but I just chatted with Liv Constantine and I think she is going to drop into this "lively" discussion we are having here.

At any rate she said that she would respond to ten (10) questions down the road, for sure. So I will try to track questions until that time.

That's exciting, eh?

message 47: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I see Paris Hilton as Daphne, and The guy that plays in A Wrinkle in Time ( the father ) and Amber is one of the Kardashian women, and the 2 little girls, well I just don't know. The little one who seems to have a smart mouth that needs to be put in the booger corner every page I turned. Man, I wanted to just smack a kid...But those are how the rich and famous kids are, they can care less how they talk to folks, and who they talk to like that. NOT IN MY HOUSE.
But I know there are women out there in this big world who would do this Amber/Daphne thing. I understand how Daphne felt, trying to help someone who is less than her. But what got me is her friend, cannot remember her name, but the one who said that Daphne should do a background check, and then when they were taking pic's at the auction and Amber didn't want to be in any pic's. RED LIGHT...

message 48: by Liv (new)

Liv Constantine | 1 comments Thank you to everyone for reading The Last Mrs. Parrish! We're thrilled you've chosen it for your book club! Looking forward to your questions when you've finished.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Liv wrote: "Thank you to everyone for reading The Last Mrs. Parrish! We're thrilled you've chosen it for your book club! Looking forward to your questions when you've finished."

Thanks for dropping in, Liv. We're just getting rolling here. One reoccurring issue here revolves around nature and nerture. I just found another interesting article about this and will post a link on the BOTM!

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 290 comments Hey! Anybody out there watching Sneaky Pete? Got three more to go with Season Two!😲

« previous 1