Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Fangirl
This topic is about Fangirl
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - Start Date August 22, 2014 (August Young Adult BOM)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:

From the author of the New York Times bestseller Eleanor & Park.
A coming-of-age tale of fan fiction, family and first love.

Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2014 09:27PM) (new)

reserved

Reading Schedule

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs*
August 22nd 1 - 5 1 - 61 Karen
August 23rd 6 - 11 62 - 127 Lisarenee
August 24th 12 - 16 128 - 193 Amanda
August 25th 17 - 22 194 - 257 Renee
August 26th 23 - 26 258 - 315 Renee
August 27th 27 - 31 316 - 383 Karen
August 28th 32 - end 384 - end Lisarenee

PPDQs* = Person posting discussion questions

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Can't wait for this one! I have this on my kindle. I have been wanting to read this.

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reading schedule posted

message 5: by Mothpit (new)

Mothpit Oh My Gosh! This description is so... accurate. I, too, cannot imagine my life without checking on my fandom of choice at least once every two days. (and that without actually posting fanfics or forum posts [because it's a mean and scary fandom])
I will most likely read it, just to know how to beat the addiction and become a functional human being again.

Katie (federo999) So glad this book is a pick! I can't wait to read it again.

message 7: by Marcia (new) - added it

Marcia (marcygold) I just picked this one up at the library. It looks like a fun read. I'm looking forward to reading it with you gals!

Autumn Garner (autumnsbookcorner) OMG! I just finished reading this a few days ago!! I wish I would have seen this sooner and I could join you guys.
Well, it will not hurt to read it again.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I reserved it and hope its in before we start if not I'll run to the bookstore to keep up until the library has it but I'm in :) I've been dying to read a book from this author.

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Comments and questions
August 22
Chapters 1-5

1. Initial impressions? What do you think of the writing style? Do you like the "book within the book" concept?

2. Have you read any other books by Rainbow Rowell? (I quite enjoyed Eleanor & Park.)

3. It seems that Wren has been doing everything socially for Cath as "twins" and Cath is left with some social anxiety and uncertainty. What do you think of her character? Do you think Wren wanted to meet new people, or was it more that she wanted Cath to?

4. What is the deal with Levi? Is he a friend of Reagan's, family member, casual boyfriend?

5. Do you think Cath will end up with Levi or Nick (or neither?)

6. Thoughts on Reagan's character?

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Comments and questions
August 22
Chapters 1-5

1. Initial impressions? What do you think of the writing style? Do you like the "book within the book" concept?

I like the book within a book concept. It was a bit tricky to start as I read the firat three chapters using a text to speech app on my phone. Switched to ebook, and much easier to follow now.

2. Have you read any other books by Rainbow Rowell? (I quite enjoyed Eleanor & Park.) I read Eleanor and Park a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. I think I like this one more already.

3. It seems that Wren has been doing everything socially for Cath as "twins" and Cath is left with some social anxiety and uncertainty. What do you think of her character? Do you think Wren wanted to meet new people, or was it more that she wanted Cath to? I think Wren wanted to step out on her own and be Wren - not "The Twins". She may have thought it would be good for Cath too.

4. What is the deal with Levi? Is he a friend of Reagan's, family member, casual boyfriend?
I assumed casual boyfriend when I began reading, but now I'm rethinking that one.

I'm thinking Nick at the moment.

I didn't think much of her when she was first introduced, but I really like her now. I think she will help and teach Cath a lot.

Khaoula E. | 34 comments 1. Initial impressions? What do you think of the writing style? Do you like the "book within the book" concept?

I admit, at first I was a bit perplexed about the writing style and yet another twin story (I just finished another book about twins) but I quickly grow to like it and I like the concept of having glimpses of the original Snow book and the fanfiction stories.

2. Have you read any other books by Rainbow Rowell? (I quite enjoyed Eleanor & Park.)

Not yet. I already have Eleanor & Park and Landline but I still didn't around to reading them.

3. It seems that Wren has been doing everything socially for Cath as "twins" and Cath is left with some social anxiety and uncertainty. What do you think of her character? Do you think Wren wanted to meet new people, or was it more that she wanted Cath to?

I didn't like Wren for abandoning her twin the way she did, even though she probably did her a favor. But having different personalities, Wren seems the type to not like to hang with the same crowd for long, and changes her interests regularly, so no wonder she wants to dump her sister for the new "adventure"
At least, that's my initial thought about her.

No idea!

For now I prefer Nick, but I doubt it.

I like her. I've seen her type in many other books. She's the carefree type, with probably a very interesting back story. Can't wait to see what she and Cath will do together.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
@Renee & Khaoula

I agree about your thoughts on Wren and Reagan. I think Reagn's backstory will be pretty interesting too

What I'm a little confused with is that Cath's fan fiction, and also her story with Nick, she makes into same-sex love stories with male characters. I'm not sure if that is meant to be a hint to us that she is actually interested in women, or if it is meant to show that she doesn't have the capacity to consider romance in her life and so intentionally writes about male love instead. I'm assuming it is the latter as Levi and Nick seem to be put out there as possibilities for her

Khaoula E. | 34 comments Karen wrote: "@Renee & Khaoula

I agree about your thoughts on Wren and Reagan. I think Reagn's backstory will be pretty interesting too

What I'm a little confused with is that Cath's fan fiction, and also her ..."

I think it's the latter as well. Since her only relationship was with Abel, and that was a poor one.

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

So true Khaoula

message 16: by Kaitlin (last edited Aug 23, 2014 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments 1. I really like the writing. The book-in-a-book thing is OK. Iit's funny how reminiscent of Harry Potter it is.

2. No, but I plan to read Landline for another book club, and after this I want to read Eleanor & Park.

3. I find Cath believable. I understand Wren's perspective too - as an adult you need to be able to branch out and do your own thing.

4. He's almost like her follower. I really like him. I'm interested to find out what his deal is.

5. Not sure about this, but I'm hoping that's not the point of the story.

6. I like her. I was surprised when she started taking Cath to dinner. I think she's funny.

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Kaitlin - I got the Simon Snow = Harry Potter vibe too.
It started with "From the Encyclowikia...." which I thought was taking off Wikipedia. Lots of popular culture references with name changes.

message 18: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 23, 2014 02:32PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for August 23rd
Chapters 6 - 11

7) What's up with Cath's Dad? It seemed like Cath was more concerned than the average daughter would be about her Dad. Plus, his statement about putting in a fireman's pole and Cath's statement that "a little manic was okay" were a little strange, don't you think?

8) What did you think of Cath reaction to the way Levi reacted to Wren? Seems like there's a little jealousy going on between the two sisters especially where boys are concerned. Her unwillingness to let Wren meet Nick was telling. I wonder if anything happened in their past?

9) What do you think of Nick and Cath writing together? He doesn't really seem all that in to her as he doesn't ever offer to walk her home at night and never asks her out on a date. Do you think their writing together is a good thing?

10) So Cath and Wren's names come from a single one. Did you find this clever or rather telling? Do you think Cath should meet with her mom or let things be? Can you understand each twin's stand point about seeing her again?

11) What did you think of Cath's teacher's stance on fanfiction? I think Cath and her teacher have reached an impasse. I found the argument between the two very interesting because even authors disagree about fanfiction. We interviewed Nalini Singh a year or so ago and she was against it. She shared Professor Piper's views. On the other hand, some authors are okay with it and I've heard Amazon sells some of it with a portion of the royalties going to the original authors. I looked it up and the program is called Kindle Worlds. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...

12) My son was in the car while I was listening to small section of the audio book. He said it was the weirdest book he's ever heard. It was right after we listened to the scene where Cath calls an emergency dance party. He made me laugh so hard. Did you like the scene? I thought it was sweet and it made me smile before my son's comment had me laughing.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapters 6-11

7. Yes, but I understand as he has been left as a single empty-nester for someone quite young. I have the impression the three of them have always been a 'team'

8. I don't think there is history, I assumed it was more about Wren being the social one ; and also Wren wanting to be a 'different' person in College and not just a twin. So therefore Cath doesn't want to share her life with her either

9. It is a bit strange. I'm not sure I like him that much as it all seems a bit one sided

10. I really liked this as it goes to her mother's mind-set at the time. It also adds more to Wren's want to be a separate person

11. I've never read any, but I think it is a nice homage to the authors. What I don't like is when it becomes a book series in it's own right (like Cassandra Clare City of Bones) and to me that becomes more plagiarism than original work

12. haha. I loved that scene. And I really like the revealing of more of Levi's character in that scene. What a great guy

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Questions and Comments for August 23rd
Chapters 6 - 11

7) What's up with Cath's Dad? It seemed like Cath was more concerned than the average daughter would be about her Dad. Plus, his statement about putting in a fireman's pole and Cath's statement that "a little manic was okay" were a little strange, don't you think?

I got the impression that he might have a mental illness such as bipolar.

8) What did you think of Cath reaction to the way Levi reacted to Wren? Seems like there's a little jealousy going on between the two sisters especially where boys are concerned. Her unwillingness to let Wren meet Nick was telling. I wonder if anything happened in their past?
A little sibling rivalry maybe, I think Wren was the more social of the two and had more experience with boys. I think Cath is enjoying having some friends of her own.

9) What do you think of Nick and Cath writing together? He doesn't really seem all that in to her as he doesn't ever offer to walk her home at night and never asks her out on a date. Do you think their writing together is a good thing?
It doesn't seem to be a romantic thing. Cath used to do alot of team writing with Wren. I thinks she misses that and is getting that same team feeling by working with Nick. I think they work well together with their writing.

10) So Cath and Wren's names come from a single one. Did you find this clever or rather telling? Do you think Cath should meet with her mom or let things be? Can you understand each twin's stand point about seeing her again?
The reasoning for spliting the one name was that the mother couldn't be bothered thinking of another one - which is rather telling when we realise that she wasn't involved in bringing Cath and Wren up. I would have stuck with Cath, not Cather though.

11) What did you think of Cath's teacher's stance on fanfiction? I think Cath and her teacher have reached an impasse. I found the argument between the two very interesting because even authors disagree about fanfiction. We interviewed Nalini Singh a year or so ago and she was against it. She shared Professor Piper's views. On the other hand, some authors are okay with it and I've heard Amazon sells some of it with a portion of the royalties going to the original authors. I looked it up and the program is called Kindle Worlds. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html...
I can see where the professor was coming from, but I think that she should have clarrified her stance on not accepting fanfiction for her assignments at the beginning, especially if she knew Cath's history with her blog. I think she should giver her a chance to resubmit her assignment do to the misunderstanding.
I personally don't tend to read fanfiction, though I have read Fifty Shades of Grey, which started out as fanfiction for Twilight (to deal with all that unresolved sexual tension).

12) My son was in the car while I was listening to small section of the audio book. He said it was the weirdest book he's ever heard. It was right after we listened to the scene where Cath calls an emergency dance party. He made me laugh so hard. Did you like the scene? I thought it was sweet and it made me smile before my son's comment had me laughing.
I did like that scene.
I'm thinking there may be more of a chance of a love interest with Levi - only if he is Reagans brother though (he did refer to having 2 little sisters, but we don't know who they are yet)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Comments and questions
August 22
Chapters 1-5

I like it quite a bit but I keep repeating "Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter" in my head. I can only assume it's intentional.

I remember reading X-Files fanfiction when I was in highschool :) Ahh to be a geek. I suppose going to a school with all geeks made the whole first day of college thing less intimidating.

I haven't read others, but I'd be willing to based on how this book is going.

It seems like that can be a common twin thing where the sum of the two parts make up what a normal person would be. Especially if they spend all their time together before. I suspect that Wren just wanted to meet new people and couldn't if she only hung out with Cath since Cath wanted to stay in and maintain the status quo.

Hrm. Guessing childhood friend. I assume if he was a family member they would have balked more at the boyfriend reference.

I'm thinking Nick so far but mostly because of the compatible writing interests.

She seems like a typical sidekick type character to me. I think they'll end up being closer friends.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for August 23rd
Chapters 6 - 11

He seems like one of the creative genius types. It sounds like he's some sort of marketing sales type guy putting together proposals for stuff. I suppose you might be a bit strange.

Hrm. Maybe it's just her being scared that Wren is the social one so people flock to her more and she doesn't want to lose the friends she's making.

Maybe he has a girlfriend? He hasn't really led her on at all, he could just be enjoying the writing thing with her.

I chuckled but groaned at the same time. I would never do that to my kids. I didn't even want to name them after anyone we knew since I didn't want to put any expectations on them that they had to be something specific. I would probably meet with her but only because not doing it would make me wonder more than just dealing with it and being done with it.

I think it would be nice if authors would publish their opinions on it. If an author thinks it's fine to allow people to play with her characters then why should others think its not. I can see the teacher's point though I'd hardly call it plagiarism. If I was the teacher I'd just have her rewrite it with a warning to use original characters in future assignments.

I have heard of the Amazon thing. I think it's neat though I wouldn't read them just based on personal preference. I could see only wanting to license that type of thing after you were done writing your own books. Otherwise if you overlapped with any of the idea's in the fanfiction there might be issues. I think that's why authors don't read the fan fiction out there or idea's that people send their way. It's easier to just not do any of it than deal with potential legal issues.

I thought it was neat of Levi to join in. Though I'm very confused about his relationship with Reagan at this point. If she's actually his girlfriend then he's not treating her very nicely.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Renee wrote: "The reasoning for spliting the one name was that the mother couldn't be bothered thinking of another one - which is rather telling when we realise that she wasn't involved in bringing Cath and Wren up. I would have stuck with Cath, not Cather though."

She could have gone with Cath and Erin instead :P

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Kelly

1, Yes... I need to admit I finished this book (just couldn't stop reading!) and in my edition there is a Q&A with the author at the back where she says she was inspired by Harry Potter and fan fiction into writing this book

10. Parents can be so cruel with names ;)

11. Rowell also says exactly that in the Q&A as there is fangirl fanfiction but she hasn't read any because she doesn't want to unintentionally sway her writing if she ever does a follow up

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments 7) Cath's dad is cool. Seems manic depressive though.

8) I think Cath has an inferiority complex and thinks her sister's better than her and judges her.

9) I thought it was interesting when Levi pointed out that Nick never offered to walk Cath home. It's pretty telling. And Nick is a little too gung ho with the writing I think.

10) Cute, but weird.

11) I think the teacher's right. Cath should've at least asked her if it was OK first. It's cool if authors are OK with it, but their characters are their property. Like Cath discovered, it's much harder to create something new than to use bits of what someone else created.

12) The emergency dance party was amazing. It showed me another side of Cath. It also gave a glimpse into what her relationship with her sister was probably like, so that made me sad.

message 26: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Aug 26, 2014 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Questions 1-6

1. I liked the writing style and the book inside the book. At times Cath made me antsy but when Reagan said she needed to be on drugs, I laughed. I thought the same thing about Cath.

2. This is my first book by Rainbow Rowell but have been waiting to read Eleanor & Park.

3. Cath is kind of anti-social and I think Wren wanted to be around other people but I think she did this more for Cath than herself because I think she is trying to help Cath to be more social outside of her computer and her twin.

4. I think Levi must be something of a ex-boyfriend/childhood friend. Sometimes I think he is Cath's "boyfriend" as Wren says he's kind of like the night table who is dependable. Levi's character is fun and I really like him but I'm curious as to who or he is too Reagan.

5. I hope she ends up with Nick but I think she may end up with Levi because she needs someone fun to get her to be more social.

6. Reagan's character is weird but I think she will be good for Cath and I think they will become good friends.

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Questions and Comments
August 24, Chapters 12-16

13) I'm concerned about Wren and her drinking, especially because she doesn't seem to be taking many precautions to keep herself safe. Her friendship with Courtney doesn't seem to be helping, either. What's your take on Wren's behavior?

14) What did you think of Cath's fanfiction? Levi certainly enjoyed it. Have you ever tried to get a non-reader interested in a story or book?

15) Why do you think the author included excerpts from the original Simon Snow books and Cath's fanfiction? Maybe she's trying to draw some parallels?

16) Now that we know more about Cath and Wren's mom, what do you think of her? Would you be willing to give her a second chance?

17) Now the truth come out about why Levi isn't the 'reading kind of person'. I couldn't even imagine not being able to focus enough to read. What do you think about his problem?

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Questions and Comments

13) I'm concerned about Wren and her drinking, especially because she doesn't seem to be taking many precautions to keep herself safe. Her friendship with Courtney doesn't seem to be helping, either. What's your take on Wren's behavior?

Seems like a bit of teenage rebellion - peer pressure.

14) What did you think of Cath's fanfiction? Levi certainly enjoyed it. Have you ever tried to get a non-reader interested in a story or book?
I have done alot of reading aloud to my kids. My 5 year old has a good enough attention span to follow chapter books now, so I'm reading some Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl to him. He loves the books that have cliffhangers at the end of each chapter and begs me to read another chapter.

15) Why do you think the author included excerpts from the original Simon Snow books and Cath's fanfiction? Maybe she's trying to draw some parallels?
Probably. Not sure what point she is trying to make yet. It is nice to see some examples of the books and fanfic being refered to though.

16) Now that we know more about Cath and Wren's mom, what do you think of her? Would you be willing to give her a second chance?
I would be curious, but she would have to try really hard to get a second chance.

17) Now the truth come out about why Levi isn't the 'reading kind of person'. I couldn't even imagine not being able to focus enough to read. What do you think about his problem?
It sounds like a visual processing disorder. Or similar type of learning disability. I think he has found a great way to overcome it by recording the lectures.

message 29: by Renee (last edited Aug 25, 2014 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Comments and Questions
August 25
Chapters 17-22

18. Cath met one of her own fans in the library. I think hearing that honest praise helped to build her confidence, but she didn’t own up to being Magicath. Would you prefer fame or remain anonymous?

19. I liked the reference to the sculptor – they don’t carve the sculpture, they carve away everything that’s not the sculpture. Cath used this as her reason for writing more fanfic instead of her assignment. Is she just procrastinating? Do you think she will get the assignment done in time?

20. Nick is planning to hand in the story they had been working on together. Do you think that is fair? Was Cath just editing or did she contribute more? Is Nick really her friend or is he taking advantage of her for her writing ability?

21. Cath is avoiding Levi. She won’t take his calls or answer his text. Yet when there is a family crisis she turns to him, knowing that he will help her if he can. Has your opinion of Levi changed?

22. Cath and Wren’s mother left them when they were 8. Any theories about why?

23. Cath and Wren’s father has Bipolar disorder. Did you pick up on that earlier in the book? Do you know anyone who has a mental illness?

24. Cath said she writes lots of different types of love stories. She has never really been in love though. Do you think this book might end up with a “they fell in love and lived happily ever after” ?

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments

I think she's acting like a lot of college students. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to end well for some of them either because they drop out of school or get hurt in some way.

I try but I usually don't end up pushing too hard since it doesn't really matter to me if they read or not. I do tend to just offer advise if asked.

I suspect that it's going to end up helping Cath come to some sort of realization about her life. She's probably already worked through a lot of her issues in her writing but just doesn't know it yet.

I'd probably talk with her but I'm not sure she'd get another chance at being "mom" per say.

Maybe it's a form of dyslexia or something. I think there's quite a few disorders that have something to do like that. Though I thought most had some therapy you could work on to increase your abilities in that area.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Comments and Questions
August 25
Chapters 17-22

18. Cath met one of her own fans in the library. I think hearing that honest praise helped to build her confidence, but she didn’t own up to being Magicath. Would you prefer fame or remain anonymous?
I probably would. I think it'd be awkward to spring that on someone right after they were gushing. Also kindof hard to add that as a humble note.

19. I liked the reference to the sculptor – they don’t carve the sculpture, they carve away everything that’s not the sculpture. Cath used this as her reason for writing more fanfic instead of her assignment. Is she just procrastinating? Do you think she will get the assignment done in time?
I was confused about that since I thought they said they only had 10 days left but then she went on this long Christmas break with a new semester so now I'm not sure what happened.

20. Nick is planning to hand in the story they had been working on together. Do you think that is fair? Was Cath just editing or did she contribute more? Is Nick really her friend or is he taking advantage of her for her writing ability?
Hrm. In college if you did something like that you were supposed to give credit to the person who helped you. You could still turn it in but you needed to note what someone helped you with. It was this way in various courses. So I think he should have just added a note that said Cath helped review. Maybe that would have given her enough sense of fairness. It does seem like he was rather cruel in the way he said he was turning it in.

21. Cath is avoiding Levi. She won’t take his calls or answer his text. Yet when there is a family crisis she turns to him, knowing that he will help her if he can. Has your opinion of Levi changed?
He seems like he wants to be more but not actually commit. I suppose he never really said that he wanted to date her exclusively so it's probably mostly a difference in opinions of where they're at.

22. Cath and Wren’s mother left them when they were 8. Any theories about why?
I suspect it was the father and maybe her fear that the children had inherited it.

23. Cath and Wren’s father has Bipolar disorder. Did you pick up on that earlier in the book? Do you know anyone who has a mental illness?
He seemed a bit off sometimes. I've known people with various mental illnesses and I tend to think that unless they're very severe it's not much different than people without mental illnesses just different degrees. His seems fairly severe though. You'd think that the insurance would pay for a nurse or something to make occasional house calls to keep him on the OK to help prevent hospital stays. It seems more cost effective.

24. Cath said she writes lots of different types of love stories. She has never really been in love though. Do you think this book might end up with a “they fell in love and lived happily ever after” ?
I think she goes through imagining what it would be like.

Something I noticed the last section but forgot to mention is that Cath seems like she's writing only using others voices. It's her way of escaping and becoming invisible (like she mentioned before). She uses Wren's words in her stories and uses Baz and Simon as characters so she's not really putting herself out there. She's hiding behind what already exists.

message 32: by Renee (last edited Aug 26, 2014 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

August 26
Chapters 23-26

25. Professor Piper has given Cath an extension on her fiction assignment. What do you think she might write about?

26. “She didn’t trust anyone and that was a problem. That was a fundamental problem.” Cath took 3 attempts to go into the building where her professor’s office was. She is very shy and doesn’t like parties with lots of people. Why do you think Cath has such a problem with trust? Why do you think she feels uncomfortable in a crowd? Do you think these things are related?

27. I noticed a Twilight reference in this section. “Have you been watching me sleep?” “Yes Bella. Are you awake?” Have you noticed any other references to actual books or movies (other than the Simon Snow fictitious ones)?

28. Cath said “To really be a nerd, she decided, you have to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” What’s your definition of a nerd? Do you class yourself as a nerd?

29. Levi insists on carrying Cath’s laundry. He says he couldn’t walk beside her while she carried something heavy. She says it’s not respectful. How do you feel about “chivalry”?

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Questions and Comments for August 23rd
Chapters 6 - 11

I think Cath is like her Dad in a certain way and that she worries that he won't take care of himself without them there. He seems to be a smart man and likes to invent things but also seems to fear being around other people too.

I think she felt a little jealousy there even though she might not think that at the moment and yes just like the way she didn't want her to meet Nick. Cath is starting to notice the guys as not being boys. I suspect that something must have happened in the past that involved a boy and that's way she told her sister to promise not to stop by at the library because she may have thought that what happened in her room with Levi would happen with Nick and she likes him and doesn't want her sister to get in the way of that.

I think their writing together is great but I think that he might be using her to get a good grade in the class. I also think Cath is thinking that there is going to be more but I don't see it unless he is intimidated by Cath or just using her.

I thought that was a clever way to name twins especially when you didn't know you were having them or a lazy way of just naming them. I think she should meet her Mom so that she can find out what she need or just to be done with it.

I understand the teacher's point but I think the teacher could have let her do it over or cut her some slack. I think the teacher was a little harsh.

I did like the scene and it was sweet and your son too :)

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Kelly - I agree with your comment that she is writing to 'escape' and so finds Baz and Simon safe. Writing original fiction would mean giving too much of herself away

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Comments and Questions
August 27
Chapters 27-31

30- Levi seems to get along with everyone and 'fit in' so it was nice to see him a little nervous about meeting Cath's dad. What did you think?

31- Disaster meeting with Cath's mum! I was yelling at her not to leave the hospital. I guess Cath's social anxieties may be shared by her mother. What did you think of this scene? Should Laura have stayed?

32- Will Wren and Cath be best friends again now? Will Wren be able to stop drinking?

33- Will Laura come back into the story? Maybe if Wren and Cath are friends again Wren will convince her to give their mother a chance?

34- How are you finding the readings of Simon Snow? Some reviews are interested in that story and others feel like it stops the flow of this book

35- I think Levi is one of the best fictional boyfriends ever. Are you glad that Cath is finally trusting him and acting more like they are 'just friends'?

August 26
Chapters 23-26

25. Professor Piper has given Cath an extension on her fiction assignment. What do you think she might write about?
I think that Baz and Simon are slowly merging into her feelings about Levi since the last story fragment was about hair and she comments on Levi's hair a lot. Either that or something with her mother.

26. “She didn’t trust anyone and that was a problem. That was a fundamental problem.” Cath took 3 attempts to go into the building where her professor’s office was. She is very shy and doesn’t like parties with lots of people. Why do you think Cath has such a problem with trust? Why do you think she feels uncomfortable in a crowd? Do you think these things are related?
I think she's an introvert and one that's been encouraged to stay that way. She's always had Wren to do her social things for her in the past so she's never learned to force herself to do social things which is hard enough as an introvert.

27. I noticed a Twilight reference in this section. “Have you been watching me sleep?” “Yes Bella. Are you awake?” Have you noticed any other references to actual books or movies (other than the Simon Snow fictitious ones)?
And the harry potter ones :P There might have been some Outlander ones when they were reading that though I haven't read it yet so I wouldn't have known.

28. Cath said “To really be a nerd, she decided, you have to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” What’s your definition of a nerd? Do you class yourself as a nerd?
Heh yeah. Nerd and geek, yay! But I'm a Software Engineer and hang out with mostly guys all the time. I like this definition of nerd: "a single-minded expert in a particular technical field." I think you can be a nerd in any area that you're really into. So she's a Simon/Baz Fanfiction nerd. Other people could be car nerds.

29. Levi insists on carrying Cath’s laundry. He says he couldn’t walk beside her while she carried something heavy. She says it’s not respectful. How do you feel about “chivalry”?
I find it rather annoying sometimes. Some guys will open doors even when it makes it super awkward. Then others won't at all. Some just do it like you're one of the guys. I think it's only awkward when people go out of their way to do it when you can clearly do it yourself easily. If he just opened doors for her while she carried it I think it would be nice enough, though I hope that's just being a nice person.

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Comments and Questions
August 27
Chapters 27-31

30- Levi seems to get along with everyone and 'fit in' so it was nice to see him a little nervous about meeting Cath's dad. What did you think? I liked it. I think it shows that he isn't always so confident and sure of his acceptance. It makes him more human.

31- Disaster meeting with Cath's mum! I was yelling at her not to leave the hospital. I guess Cath's social anxieties may be shared by her mother. What did you think of this scene? Should Laura have stayed? I think Laura should have stayed, even if it was going to be awkward for her. I think it just shows that she doesn't want to be a mother, she just wants to allay any guilt over leaving her daughters.

32- Will Wren and Cath be best friends again now? Will Wren be able to stop drinking? I hope so! I think that Wren needed to hit bottom to see that she was walking a dangerous line. I hope she's done being a brat and grows up.

33- Will Laura come back into the story? Maybe if Wren and Cath are friends again Wren will convince her to give their mother a chance? I'm not sure. I think that is it for Laura. I'm pretty sure Cath won't give her another chance. She really did blow it.

34- How are you finding the readings of Simon Snow? Some reviews are interested in that story and others feel like it stops the flow of this book I usually like them because I think there are some parallels going on. The audiobook has an older British man reading those sections and it adds a little something extra.

35- I think Levi is one of the best fictional boyfriends ever. Are you glad that Cath is finally trusting him and acting more like they are 'just friends'? Yes, I'm glad. I was yelling at her in my head because I wanted her to stop dragging her feet. He's a great guy and he deserved a second chance.

August 27
Chapters 27-31

30- Levi seems to get along with everyone and 'fit in' so it was nice to see him a little nervous about meeting Cath's dad. What did you think?

It made him seem more real and relatable.

31 - Disaster meeting with Cath's mum! I was yelling at her not to leave the hospital. I guess Cath's social anxieties may be shared by her mother. What did you think of this scene? Should Laura have stayed?
I hoped she would stay too. She is very selfish and I think she has ruined her chance with Cath.

32 - Will Wren and Cath be best friends again now? Will Wren be able to stop drinking?
I think yes to both.

33 - Will Laura come back into the story? Maybe if Wren and Cath are friends again Wren will convince her to give their mother a chance?
I think Laura has ruined her chance with Cath and I don’t get the impression that she is close with Wren.

34 - How are you finding the readings of Simon Snow? Some reviews are interested in that story and others feel like it stops the flow of this book.
I like the little snippets of Snow.

35 - I think Levi is one of the best fictional boyfriends ever. Are you glad that Cath is finally trusting him and acting more like they are 'just friends'?
I’m glad she is not rushing into anything too serious too quickly because she isn’t emotionally ready for that yet. I love how much of a gentleman Levi is.

message 39: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll get questions up soon. Sorry for the delay.

message 40: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for August 28th
Chapters 32 - end

36) Did you like how Cath got the award, but Nick didn't? Do you think she handled things the right way? I think Levi was a bit jealous until he caught on to what had happened and then he went all protective boyfriend.

37) What did you think of the end? It sounds like she wrote the story in this book or something similar for her final creative writing assignment.

38) Did you like how both Cath and her writing matured right before our very eyes? If I'd met someone like Cath in real life, I'd have been extremely worried about her at the beginning. I wonder if her sister hadn't realize how shy Cath truly is? I also found it ironic that originally it was Wren who wanted her independence, but it was Cath who thrived in it.

40) I loved the scene when Cath told Levi he was magic and he told her that he chose her over everyone. Did you have a favorite moment or scene or quote?

41) What did you think of the book and what will you rate it?

42) Will you read more of Rainbow Rowell's books in the future?

August 27
Chapters 27-31

I get the impression that he wants to have a deeper relationship with people. I tend to think the people who fit in with everyone tend to flit between people a bit more since everyone wants to be near them. It must be a bit exhausting. Plus he's heard a bunch about her dad already.

31- Disaster meeting with Cath's mum! I was yelling at her not to leave the hospital. I guess Cath's social anxieties may be shared by her mother. What did you think of this scene? Should Laura have stayed?
It seems strange that she didn't stay for Wren since she'd been talking to her. I could see her maybe not going in right away but not staying is rather harsh if she's trying to have a relationship with her kids.

32- Will Wren and Cath be best friends again now? Will Wren be able to stop drinking?
I don't think they'll ever be as close as they used to be. I'm not sure about Wren. I suppose I see her stopping or maybe picking up fanfiction writing herself.

33- Will Laura come back into the story? Maybe if Wren and Cath are friends again Wren will convince her to give their mother a chance?
There's not much book left to resolve all these plot points. I suspect that Cath will decide to give Laura a chance but they won't go further than that before the book ends.

34- How are you finding the readings of Simon Snow? Some reviews are interested in that story and others feel like it stops the flow of this book
Some of it's ok. I don't always understand why she chose the snippets she did between chapters. They also seem to skip around so it's hard to really get into them.

35- I think Levi is one of the best fictional boyfriends ever. Are you glad that Cath is finally trusting him and acting more like they are 'just friends'?
He seems pretty awesome at letting her go her own pace with things.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for August 28th
Chapters 32 - end

36) Did you like how Cath got the award, but Nick didn't? Do you think she handled things the right way? I think Levi was a bit jealous until he caught on to what had happened and then he went all protective boyfriend.
Nick never apologized really for doing that to her. I wouldn't want to share it either.

37) What did you think of the end? It sounds like she wrote the story in this book or something similar for her final creative writing assignment.
Wasn't that the same prize that Nick was supposed to get? I wonder if her teacher submitted that one in exchange for Nicks.

38) Did you like how both Cath and her writing matured right before our very eyes? If I'd met someone like Cath in real life, I'd have been extremely worried about her at the beginning. I wonder if her sister hadn't realize how shy Cath truly is? I also found it ironic that originally it was Wren who wanted her independence, but it was Cath who thrived in it.
I think people like Cath tend to be shy when you don't know them but then good friends to people who know them. I know a few people like that and I tend to be like that myself.

40) I loved the scene when Cath told Levi he was magic and he told her that he chose her over everyone. Did you have a favorite moment or scene or quote?
I like the "Good Job, English Language" when talking about the word kissed.

41) What did you think of the book and what will you rate it?
I'm going to rate it a 5. I thought it was very nicely done.

42) Will you read more of Rainbow Rowell's books in the future?
Yeah. I put them on my reading list.

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly - re: #40... lol! I forgot about that. So many great lines in this book. I really enjoyed Eleanor and Park, but I liked this more.
I do want to read Attachments next

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Karen wrote: "Kelly - re: #40... lol! I forgot about that. So many great lines in this book. I really enjoyed Eleanor and Park, but I liked this more.
I do want to read Attachments next"

Me too.