Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Clean Sweep
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Clean Sweep, by Ilona Andrews - Start Date August 12, 2014 (Adult Sci-Fi/fantasy August BOM)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30646 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss Clean Sweep (Inkeeper Cronicles #1) by Ilona Andrews. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:

On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is...different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, "normal" is a bit of a stretch for Dina.

And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night....Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans—an alpha-strain werewolf—and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she’s facing is unlike anything she’s ever encountered before. It’s smart, vicious, and lethal, and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 11, 2014 06:38AM) (new)

Reading schedule based on kindle edition:

Date Chapters Pages %

August 12th 1 - 4 1 - 62 26%
August 13th 5 - 8 63 - 116 51%
August 14th 9 - 12 118 - 162 71%
August 15th 13 - End 164 - 227 100%

message 3: by Nayana (new) - added it

Nayana (nynaa03) | 6 comments I really wanna read this book, but I can't find it in any of my libraries. :(

message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele Kane author | 5 comments I bought it when it came out, first as a Kindle ebook, and then, since I love Ilona and lend her out constantly, I bought a paperback. This is a fantastic read, and like her other two series (Kate Daniels and The Edge) this world is singularly different, riveting, and filled with hot men and things that want to chew you up and swallow :)

Bonnie I have it on kindle too and planned to start it this weekend on a train excursion. The views and such were just too good though and I didn't get to it. Home now and looking forward to it as I love their other series.

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

If you're not sure whether or not you'd be interested in reading this one, you can read a sample of the first three chapters of Clean Sweep here

Bonnie I am really liking it so far- about 20% in. Great characters and world.

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Nayana wrote: "I really wanna read this book, but I can't find it in any of my libraries. :("

It's not at my library either.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 1 - 4

1. A lot is happening but no background is told. I confess I feel a little lost. How about you?

2. Initial thoughts about the players? Dina, Sean, Caldenia? It seems we're up for a real treat.

3. I admit I find Sean's reaction normal. A werewolf looks at something like this:

Called beast? That totally cracked me up.

4. Can I have a broom like Dina's? Those were some wicked powers. Although it seemed a bit imprudent to chase a creature unknown alone in the dark.

5. The face down between Sean and Dina was awesome. It was like the story of the wolf and the three pigs.

6. Looking to the Inn shutting down we would think it was preparing itself for battle.

7. So Dina's parent didn't just vanished. The entire inn disappeared. Poor girl. No wonder her reaction every time she looks at their photos. Not knowing must be awful.

8. Wow. So That's why the little doggie is called Beast. First thought that crossed my mind? A scene from Blade Trinity where one of the vampire slayers come across a dog and its mouth split open to show a lot of teeth and fangs. It wasn't pretty but it help me visualize it.

9. So, do you like the book so far? Confusing and a lot of things happening. Any crazy theories? What is the goal of the walkers? Will Sean and Dina get along? It seems like he's one of the special werewolves, he may be handy on a fight.

message 10: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 1 – 4

1. A lot is happening but no background is told. I confess I feel a little lost. How about you?
Totally lost. I feel like I’m thrown in the middle of a story and missed the start.

2. Initial thoughts about the players? Dina, Sean, Caldenia? It seems we're up for a real treat.
I like Dina and the way she handled Sean, that guy is rude!!! But I think I will grow to like him. Not sure about Caldenia yet, we didn’t get a lot of information about her yet, only that she is a handful.

3. I admit I find Sean's reaction normal. A werewolf looks at something like this:

Well, the Beast bit is explained a little later on. She is not just a Shih Tzu.

4. Can I have a broom like Dina's? Those were some wicked powers. Although it seemed a bit imprudent to chase a creature unknown alone in the dark.
Especially when you’re powers are strongest when you’re at home. I did like her powers, also the way her guesthouse responded to her.

5. The face down between Sean and Dina was awesome. It was like the story of the wolf and the three pigs.
Definitely, girl power rules!!! Yes except that this time the wolf gets blown away, but I don’t think he’ll give up. He’s a persistent woolfie.

6. Looking to the Inn shutting down we would think it was preparing itself for battle.
Maybe, but I like to have the same security system, where can I order one?

7. So Dina's parent didn't just vanished. The entire inn disappeared. Poor girl. No wonder her reaction every time she looks at their photos. Not knowing must be awful.
Yes, I’m very curious about what happened there. I feel sorry for her.

8. Wow. So That's why the little doggie is called Beast. First thought that crossed my mind? A scene from Blade Trinity where one of the vampire slayers come across a dog and its mouth split open to show a lot of teeth and fangs. It wasn't pretty but it help me visualize it.

9. So, do you like the book so far? Confusing and a lot of things happening. Any crazy theories? What is the goal of the walkers? Will Sean and Dina get along? It seems like he's one of the special werewolves, he may be handy on a fight.
I like the book, but I’m still very confused. There is a lot going on behind the scenes, this is not just paranormal but there are also aliens and a whole lot of other stuff. I don’t know about the stalkers, I think they are little helpers to something even stronger and more dangerous. I expect Sean and Dina will get along eventually, they need each other to get rid of the stalkers and whoever send those things. And I love Beast and the Inn, I wanna stay there on my vacation, maybe I can tryout that broom.

message 11: by Selinea (new) - added it

Selinea | 9 comments 1. When I was younger, I used to thrive on starting series in the middle, because if you were partly confused, reading a book that's neither the series's excited first book not their interesting exhalation, and still enjoying it, then it's a keeper. My brain doesn't quite work that way now, but I often skip romance novels in a series if I'm not fond of a particular plotline, and you'll see oblique mentions to happy couples that leave you vaguely puzzled before you remember that they were probably the main characters in some book you don't plan to read.
I have to admit, this is one of those rare occasions where I get that feeling while reading a first book. There's starting in the moment and then there's "not sure if you're reading a horror/mystery or a paranormal/urban fantasy without reading the book jacket". Especially with that opening "Brutus was dead." My first thought was, why aren't people freaking out more about the dead body. Then of course, you find out that it's a dog. Then my thoughts shifted to "early budding serial killer." And then it describes the wounds and I thought, "Is this a Stephen King monster novel? I've definitely taken a wrong turn somewhere, maybe I should go reread the summary." Of course, things fell slightly more into place once they introduced Sean, and (view spoiler)

2/7/5. I like Dina. Capable, independent, but doesn't really tip off the Mary Sue radar. (The parental disappearance nudged the needle a bit though.) I'm surprised it's not a bigger deal, that rumors of all sorts aren't flying around. I mean, inns are these little safe pockets for all manners of beings, and for something to be able to take out a five star inn? Even if it's been years, it should still be catastrophic. Instead, the reaction is just kind of, shake your head sadly and shrug. Aren't the other innkeepers worried that the same thing will happen to them?
And the other thing I'm curious about is her sister. "Married but never visits"? That just smells kind of suspicious to me. Alternatively, that's a romance novel prequel that I forgot to read, except I don't think any such thing exists for this series.

Sam, well, he's more tolerable than the characters in Mooncalled, which is good. I almost like him, except the whole "werewolf who's even more powerful than usual werewolves" thing irks me a little. I'm glad the Dina's had the upperhand in most of their interactions so far, haha.

Caldenia's an interesting person. She seems smart and savvy. I wonder why she decided to get a lifetime subscription to this inn, haha.

4. I like the idea of innkeepers. Everything in this book is a nice twist on the traditional urban fantasy/paranormal genre. She definitely has some cool powers, and I get the feeling that she still has some cavorting around the galaxy tendencies left in her even though she's an innkeeper now.

message 12: by Sonia (last edited Aug 13, 2014 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 - 8

10. So this is a Kate Daniels meets Stargate kind of story and the Inns serve as a safe haven for intergalactic visitors. Makes sense. Sort of. At least it explains her sister in her husband planet not visiting, right?

11. "Hey, Dad. It's me. Does the word Auul mean anything to you?". Is it me, or Sean took the news too well?

12. Wow. Caldenia is something. Although her boiling advice is a good one, don't you think? And is good to see Sean and Dina working together at last.

13. Forget the broom. I want a house like hers! Ohhh the things I could do.... I think I would have a new decoration every month! Or at least anytime I was bored. Seriously, who wouldn't want to be able to command "clean yourself" or "time to laundry" and see the house taking care of its own chores?

14. The barbecue was so normal and inviting I was dreaming with one... till the point it was ruined with the dead bodies news. The dahaka is losing control of his pets? Or are they simply on the loose? That is bad... really bad...

15. And now we are vampires in the mix. A dying vampire in the mix. It doesn't look good for Dina and her inn. What more will we have?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 9997 comments @Imke: I'll join you in the trip to the inn. Not sure if we have much luck getting the broom though

@Selinea: I agree with you regarding point #4.

This series is special because is a free chapter posting online. And it changes with the feeback from readers. Only after completion is all assembled on a book. No editing, no plot planning. Once is posted, no more changes made. They are working on second book now, if you want to follow it.

Bonnie Sonia wrote: "Questions and Comments for chapters 1 - 4

Yes, I like when authors jump right in, though, and then feed you background as you read.

2. Initial thoughts about the players? Dina, Sean, Calden..."

Love Dina. Strong yet human. Sean sounds like a reluctant hero.

Bonnie 5. The face down between Sean and Dina was awesome. It was like the story of the wolf and the three pigs.

loved it- and that she won. And didn't lose her temper doing it.

Bonnie I actually went ahead and finished the book, so won't comment on things that might be spoilers.

"Hey, Dad. It's me. Does the word Auul mean anything to you?". Is it me, or Sean took the news too well?
Sean seemed a little young in this conversation. Not the grown man who had been a soldier quite a while.

Wow. Caldenia is something. Although her boiling advice is a good one, don't you think? And is good to see Sean and Dina working together at last.

Well Caldenia is kind of a crazy psychopathic type character, on one hand and a typical old lady in an Inn at others. I enjoyed her.

message 17: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 – 8

10. So this is a Kate Daniels meets Stargate kind of story and the Inns serve as a safe haven for intergalactic visitors. Makes sense. Sort of. At least it explains her sister in her husband planet not visiting, right?
Yes, this book’s world takes some getting used to, but I like the way paranormal things are explained as being extraterrestrial.

11. "Hey, Dad. It's me. Does the word Auul mean anything to you?". Is it me, or Sean took the news too well?
He took it ok I think. I thought it was great he confronted his parents about the gap in his education. I think he felt cheated in some way. He did take things better and he respected Dina more after his conversation with his parents.

12. Wow. Caldenia is something. Although her boiling advice is a good one, don't you think? And is good to see Sean and Dina working together at last.
I’m starting to like Caldenia, I loved the bit when she walked in with the tomatoes and that she wants to grow them to make (or have Dina make) fried green tomatoes. Her advice was good.

13. Forget the broom. I want a house like hers! Ohhh the things I could do.... I think I would have a new decoration every month! Or at least anytime I was bored. Seriously, who wouldn't want to be able to command "clean yourself" or "time to laundry" and see the house taking care of its own chores?
I would love to have a house like that and I think the broom is included. No more cleaning, does the house also do laundry and ironing I hate to do those things.

14. The barbecue was so normal and inviting I was dreaming with one... till the point it was ruined with the dead bodies news. The dahaka is losing control of his pets? Or are they simply on the loose? That is bad... really bad...
I think the Dahaka is losing control, but what do you expect when you turn off their tracking devices.

15. And now we are vampires in the mix. A dying vampire in the mix. It doesn't look good for Dina and her inn. What more will we have?
Hmmmmm....don’t know fairies from pluto and witches

I really like this book and I’m starting to get into this story. I think I will check out the second book on the Ilona Andrews website when we are finished with this one.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 1 - 4

It reminds me a bit of the dresden files but that's probably mostly the wizard in the city vibe. (And the fact that I'm reading one of them at the same time.) It also has a bit of some book I read awhile back where they had to guard portals to the other realms but I can't remember the title. It does seem like not much has happened for how far we are in the book.

The pictures freaked me out. It might just be because I was on the kindle fire but I turned the page and wham! Caldenia scary picture. They have a strange uncanny valley feel to them. I like the characters ok but I don't feel much depth in them yet.

Eih. Our Newfie is called Kiwi which amuses people. I kind of want to get a Yorkie and name him Watermelon just to balance it out.

You'd think if you could turn your broom into a spear that you could just cast a lightning bolt or something. I don't think the broom is special since she chose how long to make it.

I'm wondering if he would have made it in if the cops hadn't come. He seemed to be getting closer.

I think it's just making sure no one can hurt things while she's out. Though I wonder what happens if they get a guest while she's out. Maybe the house checks them in?

I'm guessing they come back though. Maybe not in this book but in some book in the series. Maybe she solves whoever caused them to vanish.

Monty Python bunny :)

I suspect that something bad is trying to take out the Inn's for some reason.

message 19: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara | 676 comments 1. A lot is happening but no background is told. I confess I feel a little lost. How about you?
It didn't bother me as the world building begins pretty quickly and incrementally. Personally, I prefer books that assume that the reader can figure things out without the author having to spell everything out or give a lot of back story.

I love the cast of characters. Dina is definitely the straight man, but she is very experienced and strong despite her youth. Sean really starts out as a jerk. I was amazed Dina put up with him, but then she is an innkeeper, so is accustomed to putting up with difficult people.

3. I admit I find Sean's reaction normal. A werewolf looks at something like this Called beast? That totally cracked me up.
Yes, that was very true. And it fit with his arrogance and overly alpha attitude.

I would love a broom that I could carry around in any form I wanted. And I agree that I thought Dina was taking her life in her hands by going out without knowing what she was in for. She was really lucky, and it was a good thing she keeps her head under pressure.

I loved that she just sat there and watched him for so long.

I'm looking forward to learning more about what the inn can do. It seems pretty amazing.

7. So Dina's parents didn't just vanish. The entire inn disappeared. Poor girl. No wonder her reaction every time she looks at their photos. Not knowing must be awful.
I really hope we eventually find out what happened to them. And I agree that the sister's lack of communication is suspicious, although maybe she was looking forward to a very different life and didn't want to look back. I hope we get books with each of the sister and the brother at some point.

8. Wow. So That's why the little doggie is called Beast.
I thought that scene was hysterical.

9. So, do you like the book so far? Confusing and a lot of things happening. Any crazy theories? What is the goal of the walkers? Will Sean and Dina get along?
Having read the complete book, I'll answer just based on my early impressions. I did enjoy the book and had no idea whatsoever what the stalkers were about, but knew it couldn't be good. As for Sean, I had a lot of misgivings about him as a romantic interest, as he was such an arrogant jerk.

message 20: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara | 676 comments 10. So this is a Kate Daniels meets Stargate kind of story and the Inns serve as a safe haven for intergalactic visitors. Makes sense. Sort of. At least it explains her sister in her husband planet not visiting, right?
Nah, I still don't think the sister has a good excuse for being completely incommunicado unless her life is so busy and different and she wasn't close to the others anyway.

I think it explained a lot that he never thought too deeply about--he is a man of action after all. And it made more sense than the story he was raised with.

Caldenia is a hoot. She is having so much fun playing Southern lady but has such gruesome thoughts that the disconnect is really fun. And yes, I think Sean is finally more bearable.

13. Forget the broom. I want a house like hers!
Me too! I'd love a house that loved me back and did everything it could to make me happy. And I'd love to avoid he housework too.

14. The barbecue was so normal and inviting I was dreaming with one... till the point it was ruined with the dead bodies news. The dahaka is losing control of his pets? Or are they simply on the loose?
My first thought was that the farm was home base for the dahaka. So where did he go? Local law enforcement certainly wouldn't be able to survive him or his beasties.

Well, werewolves and vampires are the thing these days. And we have both in the Kate Daniels series. At least these are different in function and history. But, maybe we can have some people wo specialize in magic at some point--like witches or wizards who carry out larger spells without needing to be on special ground.

message 21: by Selinea (new) - added it

Selinea | 9 comments 10. Her sister came from an innkeeper family. Unless her sister suddenly became adverse to intergalactic travel, I'd think she'd figure out a way to visit if she wanted to. So either she wants to put her past behind her with her new life or something's wrong.

11. I think that growing up as werewolf amidst humans who don't have a clue about the supernatural, the outer-space thing is simply just another unknown detail. (And it might not have come as completely out of left field since he's surely met other werewolves and/or have heard rumors.) Headcanon: (view spoiler)
And I don't think he acted young either. In combat situations, you deal with it yourself. When it comes to family (or in this case, species) roots, you call your parents. Like, I'm in college and I don't ask my parents for school work help but I call them all the time to ask about other things.

13. I'd like a house like that, but I don't know if I'd want to deal with the trade-off of dealing with potentially dangerous inn guests all the time, haha.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 - 8

It seems like the innkeepers don't leave very often.

I suppose if you knew you were a werewolf and then got hit with more stuff it would be easier than if you thought you were human. I suspect it's a bit like being told something really shocking about your grandparent's.

I'm surprised boiling didn't destroy the tracker thing. It also seems like if it's blue you'd be able to find it pretty easily in the body.

It would be a lot cheaper than the remodeling you have to pay for now. I like that each guest gets a room suited to their tastes which is probably important with how varied of guests they get.

They do seem to be loose. You'd think that they'd all be sticking together if he had control of them. Maybe it's because he turned the trackers off.

I suspect she'll do something and become famous and gain another star. Maybe she'll save the vampire and get some kudos that way.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Side note:

It's interesting how books are changing to fit more with the times. The books of old that were horror (i.e. vampires) are now replaced with stuff like stock market crashes, terrorism and disease spread as the horror genre. Then vampires and werewolves turn into science type stuff with nano's usually. I like how authors try to re-invent things to have them work in the world.

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 1050 comments this was way too short - and 2nd book only is released in December 2014. I feel like crying :(

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments http://demo.ilona-andrews.com/wallpap...

Ha! Can anyone say Team Edward and Team Jacob :P

message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments That's funny Kelly.

I do not know what happened to Sonia. She didn't say she needed help with questions so I thought she was good and didn't notice till last night she never finished with questions. So I downloaded the book and read it last night. I'll get questions up shortly for the last two section. So sorry guys.

message 27: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for August 14th; Chapters 9 - 12

16) Does the house remind you of anything? There are a number of shows that come to mind with automated houses that gain a personality and try to take over. The first I can recall was in the movie This House Possessed. I can't recall if there was new technology involved, I just remember watching it as a kid that and thinking it was very creepy. It tried to keep the one character within it's walls and got jealous of the guy she was interested in. Dina's house seems nice, but I get the feeling it could get vicious if need be. From what we've seen so far, do you think the inns can feel and have emotions or they do things because of a symbiotic relationship? Which would you prefer?

17) What do you think of the vampires being from another planet? Not the first book to introduce this concept, but it definitely has it's own spin. I like the symbiotic nature of the innkeeper and the B&B. With the broom and magic involved, I can't help but wonder if like the alien vampires, will the Innkeepers end up being the source of folklore for witches? I find it interesting that Dina uses it more like a staff than a broom, but I guess the broom goes more with the Innkeeper theme?

18) Arland and Sean both seem to be less knowledgeable about the world than Dina. Sean I can see since his parents never informed him, but you would think Arland would try to find out more about what affected his kind before traveling to a new planet, wouldn't you? It did seem like he was to stay out of things, so perhaps that is why?

19) Having to give sanctuary to people sounds very dangerous. You'd need magic to deal with them. At first it sounded like Dina's magic was tied to the house, but after the Costco incident, it seems like Dina perhaps has some power of her own? I wish we knew more about where her magic stems from. I felt so bad for the lady she abandoned there with no sign of attack accept her injuries. I'd be afraid the incident would get caught on video.

20) "It started with a wedding." What a stopping point, and now I'm curious how a wedding started all this.

message 28: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for August 15th; Chapters 13 - End

21) The mystery of what happened to Dina's parents is very strange. It's like something swallowed up the house and land. I wonder if they switched dimensions? Perhaps I've watched one too many episodes of Doctor Who? lol I think it odd no one has seriously looked into their disappearance. The timing was odd too. Just months after Dina left for college? Could they be in some sort of innkeeper protection program? Any thoughts or guesses?

22) We know Dina's father was a guest who later became an innkeeper, but what exactly is he? Was he a human or something else? Did I get it wrong? Was he an innkeeper on vacation when he saved another innkeeper's family? What about Dina's mother? She saved her husband? What's her story? Were they married at the time? Anyone else want to know more?

23) Anyone else curious as to why Dina's letter never made it to Mr. Rodriguez or do you think he lied?

24) What did you think of the werewolf history lesson? Sean doesn't seem as vicious as everyone is making his kind out to be. Would you have taken the bargain for the armor? I thought that very unwise.

25) After all she did, I can't believe the Inn's rating only went up by half a star. I can only imagine what a 5 star rating would take.

26) Is there anything you wish was explained more?

27) Urban Fantasy novels are renowned for their slow moving relationships. This book had the feel of a UF book, but because of the SciFi aspect, I'm not sure it can be classified as one. What would you classify it as? I want to call it an Interdimensional Fantasy.

28) Did you like the ending or were there too many questions left unanswered? What did you think of the book overall and what will you rate it? Will you read the next one?

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Lisarenee wrote: "That's funny Kelly.

I do not know what happened to Sonia. She didn't say she needed help with questions so I thought she was good and didn't notice till last night she never finished with questio..."

No problem. Life happens :)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for August 14th; Chapters 9 - 12

16) Does the house remind you of anything? There are a number of shows that come to mind with automated houses that gain a personality and try to take over. The first I can recall was in the movie This House Possessed. I can't recall if there was new technology involved, I just remember watching it as a kid that and thinking it was very creepy. It tried to keep the one character within it's walls and got jealous of the guy she was interested in. Dina's house seems nice, but I get the feeling it could get vicious if need be. From what we've seen so far, do you think the inns can feel and have emotions or they do things because of a symbiotic relationship? Which would you prefer?
The Bishop house in the All Souls trilogy. I figure if there's vampires and aliens then sentient houses aren't really all that strange.

17) What do you think of the vampires being from another planet? Not the first book to introduce this concept, but it definitely has it's own spin. I like the symbiotic nature of the innkeeper and the B&B. With the broom and magic involved, I can't help but wonder if like the alien vampires, will the Innkeepers end up being the source of folklore for witches? I find it interesting that Dina uses it more like a staff than a broom, but I guess the broom goes more with the Innkeeper theme?
Maybe. The broom seems to change to other things too so maybe it's special in some way or her magic wand as it were.

18) Arland and Sean both seem to be less knowledgeable about the world than Dina. Sean I can see since his parents never informed him, but you would think Arland would try to find out more about what affected his kind before traveling to a new planet, wouldn't you? It did seem like he was to stay out of things, so perhaps that is why?
I think he has a bit too much of a holier than thou attitude and was thinking only of his mission and not so much about the blending in aspect.

19) Having to give sanctuary to people sounds very dangerous. You'd need magic to deal with them. At first it sounded like Dina's magic was tied to the house, but after the Costco incident, it seems like Dina perhaps has some power of her own? I wish we knew more about where her magic stems from. I felt so bad for the lady she abandoned there with no sign of attack accept her injuries. I'd be afraid the incident would get caught on video.
I think Dina wiped out the camera's. They mentioned something about that. I get the feeling that the inn is the source of their power so drawing it from outside the inn is harder for them. I suspect it could be a distance thing since if she steps just off the property she doesn't seem as concerned.

20) "It started with a wedding." What a stopping point, and now I'm curious how a wedding started all this.
I suspect it was probably a star crossed lovers thing or a merging of families.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments It's ok. It let's me join in. Didn't realize this started :)

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kelly said, "The Bishop house in the All Souls trilogy. I figure if there's vampires and aliens then sentient houses aren't really all that strange."

I knew there was something I'd read recently that did the house change and I couldn't recall which book. You're right.

Bonnie Lisarenee wrote: "Questions and Comments for August 14th; Chapters 9 - 12

16) Does the house remind you of anything? There are a number of shows that come to mind with automated houses that gain a personality and t..."

Celta's Heartmates (Robin Owens) had sentient houses. And ships. Love them. Also kind of like Farscape's ships.

Bonnie I could not see why anyone would want to be an innkeeper initially if you had to take in and cater to any number of violent people/creatures. I understand the tie to the Inn more now at the end, as a living thing, and a friend in a way. Nurturing. And her hope that someone will know about her parents too.

Bonnie Urban Fantasy novels are renowned for their slow moving relationships. This book had the feel of a UF book, but because of the SciFi aspect, I'm not sure it can be classified as one. What would you classify it as? I want to call it an Interdimensional Fantasy.

I see fantasy and sci- fi, not really urban or much romance. I am OK with that though, as long as it doesn't turn into a long drawn out triangle. I don't like that in series.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Questions and Comments for August 15th; Chapters 13 - End

21) The mystery of what happened to Dina's parents is very strange. It's like something swallowed up the house and land. I wonder if they switched dimensions? Perhaps I've watched one too many episodes of Doctor Who? lol I think it odd no one has seriously looked into their disappearance. The timing was odd too. Just months after Dina left for college? Could they be in some sort of innkeeper protection program? Any thoughts or guesses?
It doesn't seem like the innkeepers have anyone to look out for them. I suspect they just assume they didn't do their duty right. It seems rather scary to operate that way.

22) We know Dina's father was a guest who later became an innkeeper, but what exactly is he? Was he a human or something else? Did I get it wrong? Was he an innkeeper on vacation when he saved another innkeeper's family? What about Dina's mother? She saved her husband? What's her story? Were they married at the time? Anyone else want to know more?
I imagine if you marry an innkeeper it becomes your job too. Maybe it's whoever the house decides it wants it's innkeepers to be.

23) Anyone else curious as to why Dina's letter never made it to Mr. Rodriguez or do you think he lied?
Probably some overarching plot that appears in later books when they need it to.

24) What did you think of the werewolf history lesson? Sean doesn't seem as vicious as everyone is making his kind out to be. Would you have taken the bargain for the armor? I thought that very unwise.
I don't think he really thought it through. I'm guessing they made them with very strong natural instincts that are hard to go against. He is one generation down so maybe he's evolved plus had human upbringing.

25) After all she did, I can't believe the Inn's rating only went up by half a star. I can only imagine what a 5 star rating would take.
Well... I imagine they don't want to swing the ratings too far too fast since then one bad event would take a 5 down to a 3 or something. It probably has to be consistently demonstrated for a long time.

26) Is there anything you wish was explained more?
I thought it skipped around a lot which is probably because of how it was written. It didn't seem as cohesive as I would have liked.

27) Urban Fantasy novels are renowned for their slow moving relationships. This book had the feel of a UF book, but because of the SciFi aspect, I'm not sure it can be classified as one. What would you classify it as? I want to call it an Interdimensional Fantasy.
It felt Dresden Files like to me which is classified urban fantasy. I think mixed genres are big right now so no reason it can't be two.

28) Did you like the ending or were there too many questions left unanswered? What did you think of the book overall and what will you rate it? Will you read the next one?
Eih. I rated it a 3. I didn't feel like there was anything real clever that they did up front to unfold later on. Then again it's a YA book so you don't go into it expecting anything real deep there. I'd read the next one but it would have to be a library rental, I wouldn't buy it.

message 37: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara | 676 comments I enjoyed this book a lot, but not as much as those in Andrews's other series. While the mystery that the book begins with is solved, we have learned an lot about the world, including the fact that there is an infinite amount more that could be learned. There are also a lot of potential threads that could be explored in future books.

As for categorization, it could possibly be called science fantasy, which is commonly used for cross-over novels.

@Kelly, I'm not sure why you state it is a YA book. Since the heroine is in her 20s, I'd call it New Adult. Especially as it has something of that proving oneself now that one's out on one's own aspect. It isn't a coming of age book at all--she knows her strengths already.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Lara wrote: " I'm not sure why you state it is a YA book. Since the heroine is in her 20s, I'd call it New Adult. Especially as it has something of that proving oneself now that one's out on one's own aspect. It isn't a coming of age book at all--she knows her strengths already. "
Hmm.. I suppose. Maybe it was the language the book was written in or the ties to Twilight that made me think so.

message 39: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Bonnie wrote: "Lisarenee wrote: "Questions and Comments for August 14th; Chapters 9 - 12

16) Does the house remind you of anything? There are a number of shows that come to mind with automated houses that gain a..."

I'll need to check them out. Thanks. :)

Bonnie Kelly wrote: "Lara wrote: " I'm not sure why you state it is a YA book. Since the heroine is in her 20s, I'd call it New Adult. Especially as it has something of that proving oneself now that one's out on one's ..."

I felt kind of the same. The characters seemed YA even though they were supposed to be in their later twenties I think.

message 41: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara | 676 comments Bonnie wrote: "I felt kind of the same. The characters seemed YA even though they were supposed to be in their later twenties I think. "

Perhaps its because Dina was clearly still living at home with her parents and seems somewhat emotionally dependent on them still. But to me, she seemed more like someone in her early 20s than a teen. She is too self-possessed for a teenager.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Lara wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I felt kind of the same. The characters seemed YA even though they were supposed to be in their later twenties I think. "

Perhaps its because Dina was clearly still living at home w..."

Most of the YA books they're not living with their parent's or they get taken away. It's almost like the learning how to live without your parents which is kind of what she's doing. I suppose though I didn't mean so much the story itself but just the supporting cast and general writing style.

message 43: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 22, 2014 01:11PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lara wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I felt kind of the same. The characters seemed YA even though they were supposed to be in their later twenties I think. "

Perhaps its because Dina was clearly still living at home w..."

I thought she was away at college (her first year) when the house and parents disappeared. That's when her brother returned home and found them missing.

message 44: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kelly said, "It doesn't seem like the innkeepers have anyone to look out for them. I suspect they just assume they didn't do their duty right. It seems rather scary to operate that way."

I agree. Makes you wonder why someone would want to be one. Your whole family could be put in danger.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4741 comments Been looking forward to this for a while, and now that I got a deal on it for the Kindle edition, I'm starting!

Questions and Comments for chapters 1 - 4

I do feel a little lost, but knowing Ilona, she'll have us caught up at just the right pace :)

Hmmm, I like Dina. Sean is okay -- I love the pictures, rawr hahaha. Caldenia disturbs me. She's kinda creepy so far.

I laughed too, especially when they discussed her pony tails :)

I want some powers too! But do I want hers? I dunno. I'd like to know more about what it means to be an Innkeeper and the responsibilities it entails!

Except she didn't have to huff and puff, and the inn kicked him out rather than getting blown over :)

I think that's awesome. Can I have that inn for the zombie apocalypse please? I also like how it responds and provides what she asks for -- like getting the creature's body from the yard into the examination room in the secret basement.

I need to know more about this. I'm confused, because the inn is still there for her to have it, right? More reading = more answers, hopefully.

That definitely explains why she's called Beast. I still think she's adorable... especially since enemies will underestimate her and she can take care of them :)

I like it so far, yes. Is it as good as the Edge or Kate Daniels? I'm not convinced it is yet, but I will say -- the worst Ilona is better than many of the best by other authors, so there's nothing to complain about. My biggest gripe is that it's more confusing than her normal worldbuilding. But that'll change as it progresses, I'm sure.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4741 comments Questions and Comments for chapters 5 - 8

It's definitely a cool idea for a story. I like that she has special powers because of it too.

I think he's accepted that his life isn't normal anyways, so this is at least an explanation, rather than just a "oh you're a werewolf, just accept it"

I can't figure out if she actually eats people, or if she just likes to make off-color comments to keep people off kilter.

Yeah, that sounds awesome to me... and I could change it when I needed to have different surroundings. :)

I'm not sure yet. I think the dahaka could be dead and these things are running wild with something way worse than the dahaka out there... maybe.

Fun! :) Lots and lots of fun reading is what we will have!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4741 comments Someone wants to discuss this with me, I just know it ;)

Audrey Jane | 1294 comments It's been a while since I read Clean Sweep. I remember that I got confused by the worldbuilding so I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one. I rated it 3 stars which is surprising, because in retrospect I did enjoy it more than that.

Steven wrote: "I like it so far, yes. Is it as good as the Edge or Kate Daniels? I'm not convinced it is yet, but I will say -- the worst Ilona is better than many of the best by other authors, so there's nothing to complain about. "

Amen to that! Couldn't agree more. Normally Sweep in Peace is coming out soon, according to fictfact and GR both its release is planned for 1 december 2014, but I'm a bit worried.

message 49: by Audrey Jane (last edited Nov 21, 2014 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audrey Jane | 1294 comments Steven wrote: "2. Initial thoughts about the players? Dina, Sean, Caldenia? It seems we're up for a real treat.
Hmmm, I like Dina. Sean is okay -- I love the pictures, rawr hahaha. Caldenia disturbs me. She's kinda creepy so far."

Loved the art! It really added something more to the reading experience. (view spoiler)In this case I'm rooting for Sean :) What did you think about Arland?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4741 comments Yeah, I'm not sure if it will come out in December as planned, but I hope it does. I need more Ilona!!! :)

I've not met any character named Arland yet, so I'm going to assume he's the vampire that was injured. X)

The worldbuilding is so drastically different -- it's pretty much sci-fi, and I was expecting more Urban Fantasty. But it's still very entertaining. :)

I wish I had a cool house that did all that stuff and granted me magical powers or whatnot. :)

« previous 1