New Moon (The Twilight Saga, #2) New Moon discussion

Emily - Sam relationship

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eliza That's an interesting point. Within the context of the story I didn't see it as abusive, I saw it more like a tragic accident. However, I do see how it could serve as a bad example for people looking to excuse abusive behavior.

I felt like Bella was the one who was manipulative to Jacob. She was insensitive to his feelings and used him. But it's been a long time since I read this book.

Gina's Interesting point of view.

Thank you for sharing :)

message 3: by Joyce (last edited Jul 29, 2014 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyce He shifted while she was standing near him. I don't think of that as abusive. It was an accident. That's like saying when my mom throws me a bag of candy and it hits me too hard, it's abuse.
What I found surprising was that Emily stayed with him even though he'd tore apart Leah's heart.
Leah was her best cousin. Almost like sisters.
I was so mad when I read she stayed with him. The wolf's imprint, not the woman they imprint too so why'd she'd stay if she knew her best cousin's heart was broken?
That's sooo against Girl Code, I felt she got what she deserved.

Theresa I think it was an accident, Sam was an amateur shape-shifting wolf and the first one to turn, so he can't control his emotions very well yet. It's just so unfortunate that it happens near Emily.

And about Jacob, he's like that coz Bella lets her. That's what I hate in this book. They are both selfish and possessive of each other.

Angeline Joseph I'm just going to use a quote from a movie I like (The Vow) to explain my thoughts. "I chose to stay with him for all the things he's done right; not the one thing he's done wrong. I chose to forgive him" My guess is this was what was going on in Emily's head when Sam damaged her face.
Unlike you, I found this beautiful because this is what marriage looks like; to constantly forgive each others mistakes and remember the good things he/she has done, not to divorce the second things spiral out of control which is what our current society is doing.

message 6: by Cassandra (last edited Jul 31, 2014 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cassandra Frederick Angeline wrote: "I'm just going to use a quote from a movie I like (The Vow) to explain my thoughts. "I chose to stay with him for all the things he's done right; not the one thing he's done wrong. I chose to forgi..."

To be fair, this is a little more serious then just divorcing because they don't get along or something. He didn't just scar her face, he could've killed her. In real life, if a normal guy lost control like that on his wife, I would never encourage her to stay with him.

That being said, this is a supernatural book with supernatural creatures. I can't not take into account the fact that he is a werewolf. Part man, part wild beast. So his behavior and moods are very different from a normal person. I also have to take into account that he didn't purposely try to hurt like a wife-beater or anything. He lost controlled and changed, and unfortunately she was too close when it happened.

The fact that it was an accident doesn't make him any less dangerous, of course. He's still a werewolf, and you could easily make a case of why Emily shouldn't be with Sam because of what he is. But I don't think Stephanie Meyer intented for this relationship to be seen as abusive, nor I necessesarily think it's an abusive one.

Joyce Joshua wrote: "Angeline wrote: "I'm just going to use a quote from a movie I like (The Vow) to explain my thoughts. "I chose to stay with him for all the things he's done right; not the one thing he's done wrong...."

Again. Read the book, it was not on purpose. He got mad and he shifted while Emily was near him. If she hadn't been standing close to him he would have just ran off into the woods. It was no dynamic of an abusive relationship.
That's like saying because my mom throws a bag of candy at me and it hits me too hard, she's immediately abusing me because I got hurt.

AnJelLina Emily was meant for Sam and Sam was meant for Emily... SIMPLE

SAM + EMILY = LOVE

Iris Joyce wrote: "He shifted while she was standing near him. I don't think of that as abusive. It was an accident. That's like saying when my mom throws me a bag of candy and it hits me too hard, it's abuse.
What I..."

Didn't the book say that Emily tried to stay away? She rebuffed him again and again, but just like his not being able to control who to imprint on she couldn't resist him. They were genetically programed to be together. But I guess you're right, she didn't have to be romantically involved with him. They could've just been besties.

Mackenzie I think their relationship was cute in a way.

I'm not a fan of romance of any kind..... its just not my thing, but I found their relationship nice and realistic unlike the usual naïve romance, so it was a good break.

if you read the guide to this series, you will find that Sam never wanted to hurt Leah... it was just inevitable. I do blame him though for staying with her when the elders said he should stop 'cause it was dangerous.... Emily never wanted to hurt Leah.. but the imprinting made it impossible not too.

their relationship was effortless though. Some think Sam should be with Leah but in life you cant always have it that way.... Leah was to strong and independent and Sam's wolf needed someone he could protect.... Emily just happened to be his perfect match. Would you rather be in a difficult relationship or one that was meant to be?

In finish... I like Sam and Emily's relationship and how it was nice and slow going... I also kinda like how he hurt her 'cause it literally represents the concept "love hurts"

my opinion so if you hate it, not my problem