Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Audible

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara (LaraSue) | 15 comments I have seen several people mention audible and I was wondering what people thought about it. Has anyone had any problems with it, do you like it, etc.?

message 2: by Red (new)

Red (redpimpernel) | 7 comments I've used Audible for several years and have enjoyed the service.

It has several nice features going for it. They have a pretty large selection (it grows all the time). You can shop from home and download your book immediately, so no trip to store or library necessary. And they keep track of your purchases forever, so you can go back at any time and redownload any book you've ever bought. You can shop through their website audible.com or through iTunes. But take note, books are often more expensive through iTunes., and audible often has deals on the website. Books are available in several formats so you can listen on pretty much any MP3 player, or your computer.

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Tedesco (sylviatedesco) | 2 comments We also like Audible and have belonged for years now. Our list of books are stored on our hard drive. We have had several different MP3 players and have received excellent help by phone with Audible as we figured out how to get them working. Highly recommended. We have also found that deals Audible offers are well worth buying.

message 4: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3602 comments The only real negatives I can muster up would be that the site can be clunky (awkward) to navigate. Also, if a book comes in multiple parts, the "automatic download" upon purchase feature has only worked for the first part in my experience, not the whole book - I've disabled it, and download all the parts manually from my library.

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara (LaraSue) | 15 comments What about that in comparison with other sites? What are some other sites?

message 6: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments I LOVE Audible...loved it so much I became a stockholder before they sold to Amazon. I've never had a major problem. Customer service was outstanding on my minor issue and I was fully satisfied.

I do have to agree with John that the site is a little "clunky" and a little slow but still the benefits significantly outweigh these quirks.

I love the convenience, the reasonable prices, the service and the sales can't be beat.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Tedesco (sylviatedesco) | 2 comments Lara wrote: "What about that in comparison with other sites? What are some other sites?" Our Countywide Library system downloads to MP3 players but not to Apple products. I haven't tried them as I'm satisfied with Audible.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Grumpus wrote: "I LOVE Audible...loved it so much I became a stockholder before they sold to Amazon. I've never had a major problem. Customer service was outstanding on my minor issue and I was fully satisfied. ..."

Ditto here on the good customer service. I do find the site is less clunky than it used to be.

I remember the day I found Ovid's Metamorphoses (Audio Connoisseur production) in their catalog; I thought, "Audible rules!" If you are into hard-to-find classics on audio, they are great. Often I check month after month for a title, and eventually it pops up as a new release.

Do check the quality, however, of such titles. You can play a sample before buying. Sometimes these titles, which existed only as out-of-print audiobooks of classic works before Audible gets them, are recorded from "moldy oldy" cassette versions!

The only comparison I know is with Librivox, which is free, free, free. It is also great for classics, but some readers are barely tolerable. I have Tristram Shandy from them, and I swear one reader has a speech impediment! I'm all for equal opportunity, but . . .
Plus the books are so beset with interruptions as the readers change, each required to say "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings . . . blah, blah, blah."
"Get on with the story!" I reply.

message 9: by Marius (new)

Marius van Blerck | 9 comments Jonathan wrote: "Grumpus wrote: "I LOVE Audible...loved it so much I became a stockholder before they sold to Amazon. I've never had a major problem. Customer service was outstanding on my minor issue and I was fu..."

I've used Audible for years now - they are really great. On the rare occasion when there's been a problem (once with sound quality, once with a description not wholly correct) they have immediately given me a credit. I rate them 5 stars out of 5. PS - Have just bought the Ovid work - looking forward to it.

message 10: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 59 comments I can't say audible is flawless - I've had trouble in the past, but customer service has always been willing to help me fix the problem. Besides, the service and he site are constantly getting better.

One of my favorite features is that you can choose the size of file/quality ratio that you want. Since I have a dial-up connection at home, and a small player, I prefer the smaller sized files. Supposedly they are lower quality, but I've never been able to really hear the difference.

As Jonathan has already pointed out - not all audible books are created equal, however. There are some, particularly older "publications" where the sound quality is somewhat poor. This has nothing to do with the download/audible version and everything to do with the fact that the recording itself is quite old. Audible does let you listen to exerpts before you buy, so you can see if the sound quality will bother you.

My favorite thing about audible is the variety of ways I can purchase there. I usually save my credits and use them on books that I really want to buy. Most often these are books I've read in print and want to hear in audio! However, as Red points out, audible has GREAT deals. They have sales all the time where I'll buy (with money, not credits) audio books for very little money. I will sometimes go out on a limb to buy a book that just sounds interesting because I can get it for $5 - and after all, that's cheaper than a movie ticket! I've also "stocked up" on a decent number of "classics"

It is also important to me that they store all my purchases on the server. We all know that computers and portable devices break down (in my case, laptops have a very short life span). I love the fact that I don't lose my library every time I have a technical malfunction!

message 11: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 108 comments I use it and I must say, it is my preferred option. If I can find an unabridged copy, I'll put it on my wishlist for my next credit. Yes, I'm a subscriber.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) Audible is great and my preferred source, but I live in the UK and the choice is much more limited

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Chris wrote: "Audible is great and my preferred source, but I live in the UK and the choice is much more limited"

It's the same for me Chris!

I can't buy the titles I want because I live in Denmark. And I pay full price! So unfair! And I wasn't informed of this until I had already paid.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I've been a member of Audible since it opened. I still have the original Audible player they sent me for free for joining up. They keep getting better and better. Amazon's ownership turned out to be all good. I'm a legacy member, I guess.