M.C. Beaton Fan Club discussion

agatha Raisin books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Joseph-Daniel Peter Paul Abondius (bookaholic203) | 0 comments I am presently reading Kissing Christmas Goodbye and just love these mysteries. I also like the hamish books by her

message 2: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
M.C. Beaton's other books written under the name of Marion Chesney are good reads as well. Her ability to spin a tale has developed over years and now she has a formula that is tremendously enjoyable for both men and women all ages. My father and father in law, sister who I have shared books with love her Hamish McBeth and Agatha Raison series.

message 3: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Arostegui | 2 comments I have read every Hamish and Agatha book and love everyone. Does anyone besides me think it would be a real hoot to have the two of them working on the same case. She would be in love and drive him mad.?

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammyscott35) | 1 comments LOL...that would be hilarious Kathie!

message 5: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Arostegui | 2 comments thx for the agreement, I just love those stories so much.

message 6: by Aka (last edited Sep 12, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Aka | 37 comments There are a lot of men in Agatha's life. Who is your favourite?

message 7: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Aka wrote: "There are a lot of men in Agatha's life. Who is your favourite?"

Charles! He's her soul-mate:)

message 8: by Aka (last edited Oct 25, 2011 01:49PM) (new)

Aka | 37 comments Malia wrote:
Charles! He's her soul-mate:)"

What about Bill Wong?
Have you read " Agatha Raisin Companion"? Is it worth buying?

message 9: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Aka wrote: "Malia wrote:
Charles! He's her soul-mate:)"

What about Bill Wong?
Have you read " Agatha Raisin Companion"? Is it worth buying?"

Ah! I forgot about Bill, he's a dear too:)
I haven't read the companion guide, but having read all the books, I don't think it's worth it. Have you read the latest yet? I just bought it, so good times ahead...

message 10: by Aka (last edited Oct 26, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Aka | 37 comments Malia wrote:
Ah! I forgot about Bill, he's a dear too:)
I haven't ..."

Do you think about "As the Pig Turns"? Not yet. I have "Busy body" and it is still waiting for reading" :-). I've found "Fairies of Fryam" by chance and I liked it very much. So I started reading other books ( now Potted Gardener). I also listened to the BBC adaptaion with Penelope Keith.

message 11: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) I was going to get an audio for the car, do you like Penelope Keith's reading?

message 12: by Aka (last edited Oct 26, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Aka | 37 comments I didn't listen to Penelope reading "Agatha" but in BBC dramatisation she was great, and other actors too. There were some changes in comparison to the novel. The play contains books from the first one to "Fairies of Fryam" but without Charles, can you imagine?

message 13: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Aka wrote: "I didn't listen to Penelope reading "Agatha" but in BBC dramatisation she was great, and other actors too. There were some changes in comparison to the novel. The play contains books from the fir..."

No, Charles is essential:)

message 14: by Aka (last edited Oct 28, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Aka | 37 comments Imagine that somebody wants to make a fim. Who should be Agatha, James and others?

message 15: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) I always thought Jennifer Saunders has a bit of Agatha in her:) Then maybe Ciaran Hinds as James. If they ever do make a film or series of it, I hope Masterpiece or BBC does it. They usually do a good job.

message 16: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Peter John Wagner as Charles?

message 17: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) As far as looks go, I can see it, but as an English landowner...it's tough finding anyone good enough:)

message 18: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Has anybody read "As the Pig Turns"? Can I get a little spoiler? What's new in Agatha"s life?

message 19: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) I've read them all and I almost feel as though she's my aunt or something. I wish I knew her and her strange mix of friends, I'm just waiting for her to get together with Charles now!

message 20: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
Graeme Malcom does a wonderful job reading M.C.Beaton books. I have not listed to Penelope Keith. I think your mother will love all of these books. Great reads!

message 21: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments What book did he read?

message 22: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 1 comments Aka wrote: "Has anybody read "As the Pig Turns"? Can I get a little spoiler? What's new in Agatha"s life?"

Just finished it today. Really liked it - one of her very best. It has a good mystery plot and an old friend pops up as well as a new love interest. Went out on errands and, on a lark, went into a pub, ordered a gin and tonic and raised my glass in a silent salute to Agatha.

message 23: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments What's new with Agatha, Charles and James? I don't mind knowing the end before I start reading.

message 24: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Do you know anything about " Agatha Raisin and the Serpent in the Garden" coming in 2012?

message 25: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments I've also found somewhere that a title of a new book about Agatha is "Hiss and Hers". Do you know something more?

message 26: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
Aka wrote: "I've also found somewhere that a title of a new book about Agatha is "Hiss and Hers". Do you know something more?"

I have not seen these books yet. Hiss and Hers and Death of a Kingfisher are her newest books. As the Pig Turns will be out July 2012. I recommend www.fantasticfiction.com. On this web site you can search the author and find all the books written by her and the chronological order of their series.

message 27: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments As the Pig Turns was published in October 2011 in hardcover.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Pig-Turns-A....
And I bought paperback edition two weeks ago.

message 28: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
Thank you for the correction

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) I've just started reading my first Agatha Raisin book (#1) and bought another I found in a charity shop today. What is the general consensus about reading them in chronological order? I'm really looking forward to reading more, but I'm wondering now if I should buy all the ones in between before I read the one I just bought!

message 30: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) Denise wrote: "I've just started reading my first Agatha Raisin book (#1) and bought another I found in a charity shop today. What is the general consensus about reading them in chronological order? I'm really lo..."
I would try reading them in order, while it's not crucial, it's helpful to see how her life and friendships progress

message 31: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) Okay, I'll do that then. Thanks!

message 32: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
I agree with Denise. The books are enjoyable individually but following her life relationships as they happen and develop is more enjoyable.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Clement | 2 comments Denise wrote: "I've just started reading my first Agatha Raisin book (#1) and bought another I found in a charity shop today. What is the general consensus about reading them in chronological order? I'm really lo..."

I don't really think it's necessary to read them in order.I am working my way across the MC Beaton bookshelf at my public library and I have no idea what order they're even supposed to go in. They are still enjoyable.

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) I've finished the first book now, and really enjoyed it. Kindle had an omnibus of the first four books (of course I couldn't have found that one to begin with, could I?) so I bought it. Yay!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Clement | 2 comments I love the character Agatha Raisin. I'm just starting Agatha Raisin and the Love From Hell. Judging by the title, this one may very well be based on the current state of my love life.

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) I've just finished Love From Hell. I can't believe I've read through the series this quickly, considering how many other books I've had going at the same time. I've just started collecting her Hamish Macbeth series, ready to start once I've reached the end of Agatha Raisin!

message 37: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Helmendach | 7 comments I've read both series and I like Hamish Macbeth better, although I love Agatha Raisin's character. I wondered for awhile if the author had gotten tired of writing that series because there were a couple that I thought were awful - like maybe the ones before the last two. I think bringing in Toni really helped make it interesting again.

message 38: by Keri (new)

Keri Montgomery (pinkcurls) | 2 comments I just started over reading the Agatha Raisin books. Love them!!!

message 39: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Have you read this new "Agatha" yet?
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Crumb...

message 40: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
No I have not read Christmas Crumble yet. Appears to be available on Kindle only. Thank you for the information that there is a book that I have yet to read from M.C. Beaton. Something to look forward to for me.

message 41: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1 comments Got a stumper here. Trying to track down an Agatha quote about the perfect gingerbread having good strong coffee, mustard, molasses and pepper. Jotted the keywords down...but not which book they came from. Help!

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments Haven't read Kissing Christmas Goodbye yet, have to get to it! lol Love the Agatha Raisin books!!

message 43: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Willis | 1 comments having read 21 books I want to know why Agatha never ages we have read about at least 6 Christmases so she should be 60 by now come on let her get older

message 44: by Keri (new)

Keri Montgomery (pinkcurls) | 2 comments Good point, Maureen. I, too, think Agatha should age.

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue Lassiter | 3 comments I absolutely love Agatha. I've read them all at least fifty times and each time it's like the first. I have tried really hard to find another series that I like as well, but have had no luck. I will keep trying, but until then, I'll keep re-reading the Agatha Raisin Mysteries.

message 47: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Sue wrote: "I absolutely love Agatha. I've read them all at least fifty times and each time it's like the first. I have tried really hard to find another series that I like as well, but have had no luck. I wil..."

Maybe you can find something here
http://cozy-mystery.com/Cozy-Mysterie...

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue Lassiter | 3 comments Aka wrote: "There are a lot of men in Agatha's life. Who is your favourite?"

Oh, most definitely Charles.

message 49: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
M.C. Beaton does have a new Agatha Raison book coming out this month so you will not have to wait long. Try the Hamish MacBeth Series if you have not yet which starts with Death of a Gossip.

message 50: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
Sorry Patti I accidently deleted your post.

« previous 1