AP Literature and Composition (SHHS) discussion

The Awakening
This topic is about The Awakening
Group 2 Robert’s departure

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CassieB (new)

CassieB | 12 comments What influences Robert to go to Mexico? Why did he leave so suddenly? Will he come back to Edna? Why?

message 2: by SheaP (new)

SheaP | 10 comments Robert explains his departure by saying that he is going because of a good business opportunity. But it is clear that he realizes that he and Mrs. Pontellier can't be together. He needs to leave because he knows nothing good can happen if he stays while they aren't permitted to love each other. He leaves suddenly so there is no time for feelings to get in the way or to change his mind. I don't think he will ever return to Edna as long as she is with Mr. Pontellier. Robert shows his respect of Mr. Pontellier's ownership of her when he departed and refers to her as Mrs. Pontellier instead of her first name.

message 3: by CassieB (new)

CassieB | 12 comments @Shea You bring up a good point about the change in what he calls Edna. I think this shows that his talk with Mrs. Ratignolle finally resonated with him. If he was a gentleman he would leave Mrs. Pontellier alone which is what he ended up doing. By totally leaving the vicinity the temptation to love her is easier to abandon.

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara Weikert | 10 comments I think Robert is influenced to go to Mexico because of his relationship with Edna. They become very close over the summer and I think he loved her, but he knew he could not be with her since she is married to Léonce. He is kind and respectful and liked Léonce so he wanted to respect him and take himself out of Edna’s life which is why he left so suddenly. He knew that Edna would be hurt if he left so he didn’t leave her much time to think about him leaving. It’s clear by Roberts letters to Mademoiselle Reisz that he still cares about her but he doesn’t write to her because I think he wants her to forget about him as they both know they cannot be together. I don’t think he will come back to Edna unless she splits from Léonce because that is her husband and he respects that.

message 5: by Mady (new)

Mady Welsh | 10 comments Robert was influence to leave because he began to feel a connection romantically with Edna. He leaves because he knows he cannot pursue that relationship no matter how badly he wants to because she is married. The departure isn’t that sudden, however, because he mentioned leaving earlier in the book. The timing was a surprise but the actual act was not.

message 6: by Dayne (new) - added it

Dayne | 6 comments Robert decides to leave for Mexico when he realized how strong his feelings were for Edna. He didn't want to never be able to act upon his love, so he left. He left so suddenly because he was scared and couldn't force himself to "man up". Staying longer could have made things worse for him and Edna, being that he could have done some bad things hadn't he left. I believe he will come back since humans can't just run from their feelings and he'll end up feeling guilty about leaving.

message 7: by Dayne (new) - added it

Dayne | 6 comments Mady wrote: "Robert was influence to leave because he began to feel a connection romantically with Edna. He leaves because he knows he cannot pursue that relationship no matter how badly he wants to because she..."

I really like how you mention that he mentioned leaving earlier in the book and it proves that he's not acting out of shame but out of respect. Good observation

message 8: by Mady (new)

Mady Welsh | 10 comments @Kara you brought up a good point about how he wants Edna to forget about him and that’s why he doesn’t write to her. It’s sad how they have to separate themselves when they very obviously feel something for her.

message 9: by Kara (new)

Kara Weikert | 10 comments Dayne wrote: "Robert decides to leave for Mexico when he realized how strong his feelings were for Edna. He didn't want to never be able to act upon his love, so he left. He left so suddenly because he was scare..."

I like that you say he couldn’t “man up”. I agree that he was scared of his feelings for Edna and he knew he couldn’t do anything about them. So instead of either trying to move on or confront her about his feelings, he just packed up and left with out much to say to her. I think staying could have went both ways though. It could have been worse because both of them could have kept their feelings bottled up or Léonce could have got mad and stopped them from seeing each other anyways. But on the other hand they could have expressed their feelings and ended up together and Edna could have been happier.

message 10: by SheaP (new)

SheaP | 10 comments Kara wrote: "I think Robert is influenced to go to Mexico because of his relationship with Edna. They become very close over the summer and I think he loved her, but he knew he could not be with her since she i..."
I agree with your pint that Robert abruptly leaves because he knows he cannot be with Edna and he doesn’t want her dwell on the idea of him leaving for a long time bore he actually goes. I think was doing what he thought was best for them because being together but not together officially would be very hard and would end badly for both of them.