The Virgin's Lover (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #13) The Virgin's Lover discussion

The Virgin's Lover

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate Herauf This was a bit of a letdown after reading The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance, but kind of interesting from an historical standpoint (I happen to teach Medieval World History). It was slow and difficult to keep my interest going, especially the first half.

Nicole Field You know what? It's really great to see this opinion written up by someone else. I absolutely loved The Queen's Fool before this. There was a unity to the narrative that I just kept searching for in The Virgin's Lover and never found. Every time the narrative leapt from Robert to Amy, I felt jolted. That never quite went away :/

Maisy I had completely the reverse experience. The Virgin's Lover was the first of the series that I read and I couldn't put it down. The Queens Fool was one of the last books I read. I found it a bit boring and it really dragged on... By the time I got to The Other Queen it was a struggle to keep reading at all. Perhaps its a matter of reading too much of the same thing?

I did love The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance though.

Kirby I haven't read The Queen's Fool or The Constant Princess, and I suppose that may have affected my enjoyment of this book...but I did also find this one difficult to stick with.

Lizzie Bissett Kirby wrote: "I haven't read The Queen's Fool or The Constant Princess, and I suppose that may have affected my enjoyment of this book...but I did also find this one difficult to stick with."

The Constant Princess is good, all about Catherine of Aragon from when she married Arthur up to when she marries Henry VIII. The Queen's Fool is very good too, better than The Virgin's Lover!

Craig Lenaghan This is the first Philippa Gregory book I've read and I have to admit that, though I enjoyed it, it did really seem to drag at times. The basic story probably could have been told in about 300 pages (rather than the 485 or thereabouts that it was actually told in) without losing anything important.

Kirby Lizzie wrote: "The Constant Princess is good, all about Catherine of Aragon from when she married Arthur up to when she marries Henry VIII. The Queen's Fool is very good too, better than The Virgin's Lover!"

yeah, I definitely want to read those other two! I wish I had read the Constant Princess before The Other Boleyn Girl b/c I didn't have Catherine's back story, and she seemed like a very interesting character.

Kirby Craig wrote: "This is the first Philippa Gregory book I've read and I have to admit that, though I enjoyed it, it did really seem to drag at times. The basic story probably could have been told in about 300 page..."

I agree- it definitely could have been shorter! I did really enjoy the two Boleyn books, they didn't seem to drag at all.

Heather I have read all of Philippa Gregory`s Tudor Court novels, and this one was probably my least favourite. Not that I hated it by any means, but the others are much better in my opinion. If you can start with The Constant Princess and read them cronologically, I would recommend doing that!

Lizzie Bissett Kirby wrote: "Craig wrote: "This is the first Philippa Gregory book I've read and I have to admit that, though I enjoyed it, it did really seem to drag at times. The basic story probably could have been told in ..."

Lizzie Bissett For people just starting out with Philippa Gregory I would recommend starting with The Other Boleyn Girl then The Boleyn Inheritance. The Tudor Court series doesn't necessarily need to be read in order I think.
Also, away from the court but still set in Tudor times is The Wise Woman which is my FAVOURITE Philippa Gregory book!

Nicole Field Lizzie wrote: "For people just starting out with Philippa Gregory I would recommend starting with The Other Boleyn Girl then The Boleyn Inheritance. The Tudor Court series doesn't necessarily need to be read in o..."

I just bought The Boleyn Inheritance from an Op Shop yesterday and am so glad to see this here. Having looked at the back, I was wondering where it should fit in. Thank you!

Kimber If I didn't know that Philippa Gregory had written all of the Tudor series I would think they were by different authors. The Constant Princess and The Other Boleyn Girl are both first person narratives. The Boleyn Inheritance is first person from three different perspectives. The Queen's fool is back to first person but from someone outside the nobility. The Virgin's Lover is third person perspective written from three different perspectives and The Other Queen is again first person from three different perspectives. I think how much we enjoy the books depends a lot on which perspective and style we prefer.

Lizzie Bissett Have to say, even though I enjoy Philippa Gregory's current books, I don't like the fact they are written in the present; eg: "I am walking down the Palace corridors..." rather than "I WAS walking down....."
I just think, with historical novels, I prefer the past tense.