In Fellowship discussion

Showing God's Love

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.C. (last edited Aug 12, 2009 09:26PM) (new)

D.C. | 93 comments Mod
Airemy asked me how Christians can show other young people Gods love. Well forcing our beliefs on them is not a good place to start. First get to know someone and if you can become good friends with them(I love doing this lol).

If you don't know how to make new friends its very simple, just ask people about themselves. What they like to do and the things they enjoy. If you notice you like something that they like then your golden, just talk to them about it. You have no idea how much it means to people by just being nice to them. This is showing God's love.

Now once your good friends with them find out what they believe about life. And then you can tell them about God and His great love for humanity. Now an important thing to do before speaking of your faith is to make sure you have a relationship with God. That you truly know what you are talking about. People respect a Christian who knows why they are a Christian(they might never say it but they do).

Once you have done this you are showing God's love by being nice and having a positive influence on them. But I warn, don't become friends with someone just for this reason, be nice to everyone(even those who hate you). It is what Jesus did. We are to try and be like Him, so we must love and respect all. Being friends with someone should just come about because we want to be friends with them, not just to save them(though this in itself is very important). But being a friend to someone is showing God's love.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (raleigh) That's right. Also, sometimes churches, especially big churches, have problems with this. Visitors often are neglected because everyone already has his/her own friends. Churches need to welcome each visitor and become friends with them.
Sorry, that's a little off subject, D.C., but it kinda works.

message 3: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing | 30 comments Good point Emily! I know my pastor invites each family to dinner at his house when they join the church, and all of us make an effort to include everyone.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

And some people are uncomfortable about talking about their faith, so you just be there for them and let them know you'll speak to them when their ready. I like that bit the best!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Dovewing: I'm really impressed. The pastor has everyone to dinner? Sounds like a good idea for the congregation. Maybe members could take visitors to lunch one on one. In a large church, this would break the pastor financially.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Hi -- I had a "Christian" colleague who I knew was serious about her faith because at lunch at work she would pray before we ate. We became good friends but she never try to talk to me about my faith or hers. Later I became disabled and she would periodically call me (at this time I was studying Buddhism) and she would ask me what I liked about it and I would tell her and she would tell me how that related to her Christian faith. She invited me to a bible study and I went. I was extremely touched that she bought me a bible. During the study I became sick and she woud call to check on me. I was bed ridden and bored with tv & my books -- so I started to read the bible. I became very I'll, her church prayed for me on numerous ocasions. Over a 3 year period I had 6 surgeries, cancer diagnosis and radiation. Before the 3rd surgery she phoned to talk and somehow she quoted "no one comes to the father except through me." That rang in my ears and I read the bible until i came to Romans and accepted Jesus as my savior. It was just after that the doctor noticed something but thought it was a pre-cancer but after a biopsy discovered that it was a multiple cancer -- no one knew about, but God did. This is my first week well and starting to go out of the house and looking forward to going to church tomorrow.

Sorry this is so long, I just want to say that my "Christian" friend was always there if I needed someone to talk to. I first met her about 10 years ago. She never judged me or forced her faith on me-- she was just thoughtful, kind and a great friend.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Carol: Wonderful. "This is my first week well." Were you healed of all that?

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) I am "healed" of everything that happened over the last 3 years. One year cancer free! 12 years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE), Sjogrens Syndrome and a blood clotting disorder which I still have but currently is "behaving". I truly feel so blessed. Going to church today was wonderful -- seeing and thanking everyone for their prayers.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Praise the Lord.

message 10: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing | 30 comments Pat W. wrote: "Dovewing: I'm really impressed. The pastor has everyone to dinner? Sounds like a good idea for the congregation. Maybe members could take visitors to lunch one on one. In a large church, this would..."

I am in a small church. And it was fun to have dinner w/ my pastor and his family. He has 13 kids! And we all try to make peoe feel as welcome as possible.

message 11: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing | 30 comments Carol wrote: "I am "healed" of everything that happened over the last 3 years. One year cancer free! 12 years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE), Sjogrens Syndrome and a blood clotting disorder which I still h..."

Yay!!! That is awesome!

message 12: by Sharon (last edited May 20, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Sharon Ellis | 4 comments Dear everyone,
Carol, your testimony is awe inspiriing in so many levels. Thank you for the sharing from your heart.
I have been in the cancer battle myself, and so I understand many things your body and spirit have had to go through. I rejoice with you on a journey to having health restored. It is marvelous!

I wish PEACE to everyone! Please visit my blogsite there are hopefully some inspiring things to read there. I have written two books that tell about how God sent me angels to help me through His divine healings of many life experiences, that perhaps we all walk through trials in some way or another.

http://www.kingdom-of-God-in-earth.bl...
Be blessed, Sharon

message 13: by Ron (new)

Ron Sanders (ronsand) | 2 comments I believe God has a master-plan for each individual born on this earth. God shows His love by perhaps continually performing miracles (life threatening experiences) in your life, in order for you to complete the purpose. I personally can chronicle 18 miracles that occured throughout my 62 years of life.

http//www.concernednotconsumed.com this site I hope is inspiring to those trying to overcome a challenge in life or trying to find their purpose for living.

God bless & be well,
Bro Ron
P. S. Oh, one must/should have a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with GOD for your purpose for life is revealed...I KNOW!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Ron: That's exactly what my book, One Touch from the Maker is about--how God works when we are in trouble.

message 15: by Ron (new)

Ron Sanders (ronsand) | 2 comments My (God's) book is about if you have ANY type challenge in life (mine was a severe stroke) a person can "overcome" it with a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with GOD!

Also, Sis Pat W. I will request you as a friend here on Goodreads. Thank you, ever so much!

God bless & be well,
Bro Ron Sanders
http://www.concernednotconsumed.com

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan My (God's) book is about if you have ANY type challenge in life (mine was a severe stroke) a person can "overcome" it with a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with GOD!

Didn't you "overcome" the stroke with the assistance of doctors, medicine, friends and family? Shouldn't you be giving those things and people the credit?

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Has anyone read any books by Brennan Manning?