In Fellowship discussion

Questions > Charms

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 93 comments Mod
Christa was curious about charms, here it is in her own words

"Charms. I know a lot of girls, and even some guys, who wear charms on their neck or wrist at all times. The charms are almost always a cross or the fish symbol with the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?) inscripted on it somehow. Then they hold it in their hands as if to pray, but what I think they are actually doing is making a decision. Have you tried this before? If so, do you think it actualy brings people closer to Gods hands, Jesus, and/or the holy spirit?"

message 2: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ No, I don't. I want a charm though so anybody that looks at my necklace can know that I'm a Christian.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Townsend (brittany2019) i think it helps them feel closer to God which could help them feel more confident or brave because we know that God helps us so i think the charm would help them remember that and stand strong. but i dont think the object itself helps them. i mean sure it can remind them of God and his promises and how we can do anything with his help and it does show other people that you believe in God, but i dont believe the object itself has any sort of power... just significance

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Townsend (brittany2019) thats just my opinions...

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (raleigh) ♥Jenny♥ wrote: "No, I don't. I want a charm though so anybody that looks at my necklace can know that I'm a Christian."

Yes, but people should not need charms for others to be able to tell that they are Christians. It is your attitude, the way you talk, the way you act, even the way you dress, that shows others that you are a Christian. People will notice. Some will think you're crazy, but . . . that's another story!

message 6: by Carmen (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

Carmen Collazo | 1 comments In my opinion...I don't need a charm(s) to convince myself or others that I am a christian. As a born again believer we have the Spirit of Christ that dwells in us...that is a moment by moment transformation...our behavior, our way of thinking, our decisions making in being a follower of Christ Jesus will allow others to see that I am not comformed to the patterns and behavior of the world...
And charms does not make me feel closer to God...sounds like the catholic rosaries to me...Being close to God is practicing in being in His presence...in reading the Bible I get to know more Who God is...and prayer is nothing but expressing my deep emotions, my cries, my thanksgiving, my gratitude for all He has done for me and in listening to what He longs to tell me.
Charms can become like idols...I don't need logos, charms, or anything but the Holy Spirit to make me more closer and more like Jesus.

I don't need any charms to define who I am in Christ...

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (raleigh) I agree with you, Carmen!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't need charms, for sure. But they're fun, I rather like them. I find they remind me about Him alot, so if your going through a rough patch it helps. I especially like the christian t-shirts! Some of them are hilarious.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Charms are fine if you like them but it probably isn't good to use them as good luck charms. Be careful of idolatry

message 10: by Patricia (last edited May 13, 2010 07:50AM) (new)

Patricia Kirk | 14 comments Emily and Daisy: I think that depending on your walk alone may not tell unbelievers that you are a Christian. For one thing, unbelievers don't think in terms of Christian or non-Christians. They will just think you are a nice person. Also, we all fall short on occasion. I believe there is nothing wrong with wearing a cross around your neck (or a fish on your car). Maybe someone will see it and decide you are the person to ask about a problem they are having. (We can always hope.)