Book Haven discussion

Mystery > The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Maybe it's just me, but I'm obsessed with this series right now. I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire and I couldn't put it down! I was just as enthralled with the first book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, except for maybe all the financial talk in the very beginning. Not that it didn't work it's way into the book, but I don't think it needed to be placed at beginning of the novel. Once I made my way past that though I was hooked. The mystery itself had so many different levels and the characters were extremely intriguing, especially Lisbeth Salander. She's become one of my favorite literary characters.

If only I lived in Europe so I could get The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest before October!

message 2: by Vikki (last edited Aug 12, 2009 02:55PM) (new)

Vikki | 9 comments Lisa Anne wrote: "Maybe it's just me, but I'm obsessed with this series right now. I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire and I couldn't put it down! I was just as enthralled with the first b..."

I am in love with this trilogy as well. I read the first one twice since I got it in the UK and I was waiting for the second book to come out here in the U.S. Well now I'm trying to make myself wait to read
The Girl Who Played with Fire because I know I won't be able to get the third book until at least some time in October when it releases in the U.K.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I loved the book, I agree the financial talk was a little dry but it didn't really take away from the book at all.
I've been wanting to get the 2nd book but it's bit more expensive then I want right now so I'll probably wait till it comes out in paperback.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments Michelle wrote: "I loved the book, I agree the financial talk was a little dry but it didn't really take away from the book at all.
I've been wanting to get the 2nd book but it's bit more expensive then I want rig..."

That's better than I could do. I've been really frugal with books lately, sticking to the ones I own and going to the library, but I know exactly what day 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' came out and planned for weeks to buy it on the day it came out. haha. My self control only goes so far.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I didn't think the financial talk took away from the book I just think it shouldn't have all been placed in the very beginning. For half a second I almost regretted buying it before I fell in love with it.

message 6: by Vikki (new)

Vikki | 9 comments Lisa Anne wrote: "I didn't think the financial talk took away from the book I just think it shouldn't have all been placed in the very beginning. For half a second I almost regretted buying it before I fell in love..."

Yeah I totally agree it took me a chapter or so to really get into it.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments However, once I was into it I was interested in everything. In most mysteries the the characters can get to be a little ibt flat as the mystery takes over and that is what the reader becomes really interested in. With this book though I wanted to know everything about everybody, I was interested in all the back stories, especially Salander's and was almost disappointed when the mystery finally revealed itself because then you knew it was going to end soon. Mysteries are usually for the big revelation of "who done it" at the end and this is the first one that I recall reading that I would have liked more development and insight into everything else.

Luckily more about her unravels in The Girl Who Played with Fire.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments 'The Girl Who Played with Fire' Question.

SPOILER *******

For those who've read "The Girl Who Played with Fire" did anyone get what exactly she figured out about Fermat's theorem at the very end?? I know it's kind of a small point, but it's really bugging me. The point where she figures out his puzzle at the end seems significant, but I don't really get what Salander "got" there. Maybe it'll be explained in the next book ... or maybe my inadequate math skills are just showing. haha.

message 9: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments On the strength of everybody's comments, I've ordered a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ... amazon is running a buy two get one free paperback special, and it was on the eligible list. Hoping that I'll enjoy it. I read a sample on the kindle and hadn't decided to buy it from that ... but with the price break, it's cheaper than the download price, so we'll see.

message 10: by stormhawk (last edited Oct 01, 2009 05:37AM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematics problem that has been thought to be insoluable since 1637. A solution was developed in 1995, but I've heard that it's inelegant, or likely was not the methodology used by Fermat.

I suspect that it means that she is just that brilliant.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Lane (jaxlane) | 1 comments This was such a fabulous book. I, too, struggled with the financial information in the beginning as well as some of the names, but by page 35 I couldn't put it down and have recommended it over and over again.